If I lift 2", really, what's needed?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Thanks for that info. What mileage are you getting currently?

What have you heard regarding bigger tires and an auto trans? I'm working on lining up a 5 spd from Farfromovin but I'm just curious as I dont know when I'll have time to do the swap. I've tried searching but havent come up with anything as of yet.

I saw in another thread that Ed runs 205/65/16's on his Jetta wagon and I dont think he has any suspension mods to that car. Vertical clearance will not be the issue with the lift, and NB fenderwells look like they are more generous than Golf/Jetta fenderwells so the hub level shouldnt be as much of an issue.

With the news of Ed running that size...I'm pretty much decided on the 205/65/16 for the snow tires. If I dont go the Geolandar AT/S route then I'll just run the same size in either a Cooper or Michelin tire.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
TDICADDGUY said:
Thanks for that info. What mileage are you getting currently?

What have you heard regarding bigger tires and an auto trans? I'm working on lining up a 5 spd from Farfromovin but I'm just curious as I dont know when I'll have time to do the swap. I've tried searching but havent come up with anything as of yet.

I saw in another thread that Ed runs 205/65/16's on his Jetta wagon and I dont think he has any suspension mods to that car. Vertical clearance will not be the issue with the lift, and NB fenderwells look like they are more generous than Golf/Jetta fenderwells so the hub level shouldnt be as much of an issue.

With the news of Ed running that size...I'm pretty much decided on the 205/65/16 for the snow tires. If I dont go the Geolandar AT/S route then I'll just run the same size in either a Cooper or Michelin tire.
Actually, I have a lift kit in my car consisting of spacers in the front (machined aluminum spacers from an anonymous donor car) and some Autotech polyurethane spacers for the rear, as well as some Bilstein TC's and the stock Wagon springs.

As far as rubbing is concerned, I only have a minor amount when the car is fully loaded (ie. 4-5 adults and luggage) which has only happened twice.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Ed's TDI said:
Actually, I have a lift kit in my car consisting of spacers in the front (machined aluminum spacers from an anonymous donor car) and some Autotech polyurethane spacers for the rear, as well as some Bilstein TC's and the stock Wagon springs.

As far as rubbing is concerned, I only have a minor amount when the car is fully loaded (ie. 4-5 adults and luggage) which has only happened twice.
Good to know...

I'll have to measure fenderwell width within the range of the hub travel but it looks like I'll be okay with the lift. Thanks Ed.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Again, on ESP issues

Maybe beating a dead horse, but I'll ask again: Has anyone put a 1 inch lift kit on a Golf with ESP? Have you experienced any problems with this?

Thanks, I have a panzer plate and am looking for some additional clearance.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I think they have been proven to cause the ESP to act up when not necessary, which is why Metalnerd wont sell them for use on an ESP equipped car. Metalnerd requires your VIN number and other information for purchase so they will know if your car is equipped.

So unless you buy second-hand...good luck.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Just bought the Metalnerd lift, I have 3 different used sets of VR6 springs on the way. Still trying to figure out which ones to use...will decide when they get here I guess.

Now onto shocks/struts. I've tried contacting Peter (IBW) about wagon shocks without any luck...but I recall reading somewhere that wagons have a different shock/spring mount and probably wont be compatible for a NB or Jetta/Golf. So that leads me to using Bilstein TC's.

But somewhere back in time I remember Aaron (BleachedBora) stating that some of his customers have used TC's up front and HD's in the back. However I am a little concerned that the combination of HD's in the rear and VR6 springs may make the ride a bit too harsh.

Anyone care to comment?

I did find out, through the vortex of all places, that there is an autocross type race shop/supplier just 20 miles from me that I've never heard of. I havent spoken with them yet, but I see on their website that they have adjustable coilover setups for VW platforms and others. But I dont really have 2 grand sitting around for that either.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
VR6 Springs: 2 Blue, 2 White. Those are the ones you want. They lift, they firm, and work well with Bilstein products.

I have VR6 springs in my garage. 1 Green, 3 White. I have not had the time to research or even put them in to see what happens. According to the color code list that was floating @ they were 161 in/lb. The springs came out of a 2001 Jetta Sedan with a VR6 and an auto trans.

My Golf is 150 in/lb stock. I was hoping to get about .5" lift out of them.

2 Blue, 2 White are the ones to find. Part code G76/L08. They support a car that avg's 751kg to 780kg

In the meantime I will search for that color/spring decode thread.

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Jungledeath, you might not waste the time looking for that thread. The chart has been moved or deleted or something because it is not showing on this thread or the original VWVortex thread.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
JungleDeath said:
VR6 Springs: 2 Blue, 2 White. Those are the ones you want. They lift, they firm, and work well with Bilstein products.

I have VR6 springs in my garage. 1 Green, 3 White. I have not had the time to research or even put them in to see what happens. According to the color code list that was floating @ they were 161 in/lb. The springs came out of a 2001 Jetta Sedan with a VR6 and an auto trans.

My Golf is 150 in/lb stock. I was hoping to get about .5" lift out of them.

2 Blue, 2 White are the ones to find. Part code G76/L08. They support a car that avg's 751kg to 780kg

In the meantime I will search for that color/spring decode thread.
Good to know...thanks for that info. The one set that I have coming are the 2 blue and 2 white. Not sure where the other ones stack up yet in comparison.

Someone should try contacting the original poster of those images to see if we can get it back up again.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
Jeepmb said:
Jungledeath, you might not waste the time looking for that thread. The chart has been moved or deleted or something because it is not showing on this thread or the original VWVortex thread.
Pff!! Yeah, where did that thing go? I thought I had saved it somewhere or printed it.

I think Peter Pyce made that thing up. I can't remember the last time he posted. His threads are interesting reads when it comes to suspension work.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
How_Do_You_Like_Me_NOW!

Jeepmb said:
[/IMG]

I just went to the TDi Club Photo Gallery. I used "spring" as the search criteria.
Can you say, print? Or better yet, "Save image as..."

Last edited:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
TDICADDGUY said:
SAVED!

Now...how about the chart for the rear springs? ;)
Don't quote me on this one, but I think there was a very close rate difference with sedans and golfs. The wagons were the ones that were uprated. I don't remember the specific #'s though. I wish I had a spring dyno.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Update:

PM'ed back and forth with Peter at TDIparts. After our discussion, I've settled on Sachs/Boge wagon shocks which have a longer piston to avoid topping out. For matching ride quality, Cofap struts will be used up front. The valving on both of these give an OEM type ride, but that should be ideal with the stiffer VR6 springs.

Speaking of the springs, while it would be possible to put wagon springs on, I dont want to go too far or get too much rake to the stance...so I will just be sticking with the VR6 springs I am getting. Still waiting on them to get here, not sure what the rates are on all of them yet, but one set has the 2 blue/2 white fronts which are off a 2004 Jetta GLI VR6. This is the set I'll be using. I'll probably put the extras up for sale here, in case anyone is interested.

Will keep everything updated...probably wont do the install until the weekend of Nov 8th. Car will be off the road that way, for deer opener. :rolleyes:

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
and an update from me, too:

205/75r15 General Grabber AT2s are mounted on my stock 15" wheels. I seem to have a balance issue that I need to get sorted out, and my strut bushings are beyond shot which is not helping. The tires fit well and I think they rub less than my 225/60r16s did.

I'll get some pictures up next week. They really look badass. I'm still stock height, but I think these would still look fine lifted up to 2" if not more. I'm still hoping to do a ~1" lift via coil spacers (proper ones, not the please-break-or-bend-my-springs twist-in things that have been praised in this thread) and strut extensions in front, and longer shocks in back. Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's my dirty, dirty car with my sweet freshly painted flat black stock 15s wrapped around clearanced 20thAE rear brakes shod with 205/75r15 General Grabber AT2s. I think it's got a bit of a Volvo Cross Country vibe to it, which is what I'm looking for.

There's snow in the forecast, I might get to see how they do as soon as tonight.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
I can't believe those fit. Those end up as 27" right? In my opinion, your car (mine too) would look sick with a 2" lift; proportional.

Husky Spring is another company that will do custom springs. 2 fronts with stock rate (or any rate) with 1" lift was quoted @ $260. I thought that was reasonable.

Thanks for the pics.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I am very surprised those fit as well. You must have some rubbing at full lock and/or compression. How's the MPG/gearing hit?

I love the look of those flat black Avus rims. Makes me want to find some Avus rims for my snow tires and do the same.

For longer shocks I would recommend a wagon shock. TDIparts has Sachs/Boge OE wagon shocks as well as Koni Special Reds with the longer wagon shocks. Just ordered mine up this morning to compliment my upcoming 2" lift.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Shock and strut set...though only the shocks are wagon-specific. They are a little longer and will give more travel.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had 27" tires on for about a year now, the Blizzaks I took off are the same height and wider (225 Blizzaks, 205 Grabber AT2s). I did my odometer correction yesterday and these are just a sneeze taller, my correction for the Blizzaks had been +8.3%, on these it's +8.9%. I got 46mpg corrected for some idling I did. That was my first full tank with them (448 trip meter miles + ~3 hours idling, on 11.3 gallons. I took off .7 gal for the idle, I was seeing numbers of .4-.5L/hr at idle reported elsewhere on this site).

As I said, I have less rubbing with these (makes sense being 2cm narrower) than the Blizzaks. I don't have a driver's side fender liner anymore (due to rub) and that's where the worst had been so it's not really a fair comparison.
I finally put new struts on at 120,000 miles Thursday, and I bet I could keep a replacement fender liner now. I gained at least an inch in height up front.
I really like the blacked out Avus too. I'd been planning on doing that for a while.

I know the wagon springs are good for the rear but it's the struts I'm worried about. Having now changed them and seeing how the top end is put together, the MetalNerd lift is making a bit more sense but it's still incomplete without a shaft extension IMO.

I'm thinking that a shaft extension in combination with a taller top spring cup would be the ticket for the front. That taller spring cup would be quite easy to fabricate with a second spring cup and a couple pieces of tubing.

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Here it is folks...finally some results. Here's the rundown:

- Metalnerd 2" lift
- Springs from a 2004 Jetta GLI VR6 (front color code: 2 blue/2 white, rear color code 3 green/1 silver)
- Koni Special Reds (rears are longer wagon version to help avoid topping out) at factory full soft setting
- 205/70/15 Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi snow tires (summer tires will likely be 215/60/16 for a very similar diameter). Stock size was 205/55/16.

Final lift (suspension and tire) numbers: 3.25 inches up front, 4 inches in back.

I have not driven it much yet, but so far I am very pleased with the results. Only drivability changes are a touch of oversteer and slightly lower rpm's for a given speed. Acceleration hasn't really diminished much from the larger tires, I expect to notice it less when I do the manual trans swap. It is not a major change at all, I just barely notice it. There is a slight change in braking feel as well, it takes a bit more effort to slow down but the brakes on these cars are so good I don't see it as an issue. That said, this is as big (26.3" overall dia) as I would want to go for tire size personally. 27" dia like some of you run is a bit much IMO. I still need to get an alignment done, and I still need to install new TT LCA bushings to tighten things up a bit.

My old suspension was crapped out. Springs were sagging and the upper strut mount rubbers were like hockey pucks. I could feel every little bump in the road and big ones could jar fillings loose. Now the ride is far improved, and the Koni's give a firm but supple ride in my opinion. A good balance of handling and comfort.

Now to the pics.

Before:

Rear Measurement Before:

Front Measurement Before:

After:

Rear Measurement After:

Front Measurement After:

Better pics of the car will show up in the next few days and I will post them to this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223077

Last edited:

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Blue Bug.. new top end
wow

woww... lot to digest.

I my home is in the outback on a cow trail LITERALLY. soooo I GOT to lift my Golf 03 (once the damn thing is finally running again).

So far from all this I gather.

Stock rim size is 15"

Best to go to 16 or 17rim if you lift her

only lift (commercial) available is M.Nerds

Spring expanders work ok.... longevity still questioned. (a cup type to sit the spring in is best IMHO if you go this route)

M.Nerds spaces the shocks on the rear to match their lift to keep shock travel at OEMish

M. Nerds... does what on the front?

am I off anywhere?

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
TDICADDGUY, that looks awesome! Nice choice on the Avus rims for winter, I've always liked those rims! Also nice choice on the 205/70R15s I totally agree 205/75R15s are too big (see my car) and next winter I will definetly be getting the next size down!

Update on my setup: still have spring helpers up front and air lift in back... the air bags are way too firm, oh well, saving my money for a Subaru :p.

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
It doesn't look like it's lifted that much. What did you do to lift it?

I still keep flirting with the idea of lifting, but since I clear 27" tires with just some fender rolling and liner trimming I see little reason to lift. I can't go to a much bigger tire without trimming sheetmetal anyway, and at that point it's time to make it AWD/4x4.

Rescuefireman15

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver 5 speed
If I may add my 2 cents. I just orders Bilstein HD's all around and will be ordering 2" lift from Kevin from Coilsprings @ ~$250 front and ~$250 rear. He doesn't have my set of springs on file so I will have to order one spring for the front and rear at ~$80 per. This is his cost wholesale for the exact spring on my car. I still think that part is a rip off, but when your spending over $1000.00 whats an extra 160 i guess. I can send before and after pics to whom ever needs them, but I won't be doing this for a few weeks. Let me know if anyone else has spec on file somewhere else for Jetta 03?