Disable DRL B5.5

WYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI wagon
I know there is multiple threads with regards to DRLs. However, the Passat does not have a wire on the TFL post. I have a euro headlight switch and would like to run the city (5W) lights as the DRLs. Is this possible? Does the vag-com have any light options? Thanks for any advice.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
The easiest way is to pull the relay for the DRL's. I forget the number may be 173 or 174?? I can check at home it is sitting on my workbench.
I pulled the relay and re-wired the foglites as my DRL's by putting a jumper across the DRL position and the fogs on the euroswitch.

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Turbocharged purchased in Costa Rica.
I'm not sure what the TFL post is, but on 3bg with Euro Switch you simply cover up (or break off) connector "56D" on the switch. DRL's are off.

It's impossible with VAG COM because the cars lights are not tied into the car's CCM (Unless you have W8 with factory HID)

OR, you can also just remove Relay 173 in the dash.

I dont' know how to make city lights your DRL's.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
b554me said:
I don't know how to make city lights your DRL's.
The "city lights" are wired in as if they are front parking lamps. They are on when the tail lamps and side marker lamps are on.
Splitting these peanut bulbs off for a DRL function will leave no front position marker parking lamps, just the ones on the sides and the rear tail lamps.
The peanut bulbs in the headlamps are wired to the front side markers. There will be a need to separate these front facing 'parking lamps' from the shared power supply for the side markers, and then adding a new "DRL" power supply to only these front facing bulbs, but then there's no front parking lamp which may be a requirement where you reside.
These newly created DRL could as easily be left illuminated day and night to provide DRL function without other lamps and yet satisfy any required front illumination when parked at night with the other side and rear marker lamps illuminated as well.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Lug_Nut said:
The "city lights" are wired in as if they are front parking lamps. They are on when the tail lamps and side marker lamps are on.
Splitting these peanut bulbs off for a DRL function will leave no front position marker parking lamps, just the ones on the sides and the rear tail lamps.
The peanut bulbs in the headlamps are wired to the front side markers. There will be a need to separate these front facing 'parking lamps' from the shared power supply for the side markers, and then adding a new "DRL" power supply to only these front facing bulbs, but then there's no front parking lamp which may be a requirement where you reside.
These newly created DRL could as easily be left illuminated day and night to provide DRL function without other lamps and yet satisfy any required front illumination when parked at night with the other side and rear marker lamps illuminated as well.
I actually replaced those peanut city bulbs with large white LEDs, it looks great with the HIDs and with them swtiched on using euro switch.

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
When I had my Golf I turned my city lights into DRL and parking lights using a reverse wired double pole double throw relay. Sounds complicated but its not. CL's would come on when handbrake is release or when the parking light circuit was activated.

Same thing can be achieived with diodes instead of a relay.

I have wanted to do this to my passat but have been leary of cutting wires...

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
DPDT relay and with a 12 vdc coil? Sounds expensive, like more than $5!:p

Lug_Nut

TDI
And H7 aren't cheap.
Most of my driving in on roads and in traffic conditions that are totally opposite of those for which DRL were introduced, so they are of next to no benefit to me, and an detriment to the others on the road with me.
When the terrain and traffic warrant, I turn on my lights.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Here in Canada it is law to have DRL's. I dont think they are required in the US however? Therefore you can just pull the relay and save the bulbs. Or do as I did and run the fogs as DRL's. The fog bulbs are around $7 ea. Ill try to take pics of my wiring set-up for those interested. I simply put a jumper behind the switch and removed the DRL relay. However mine was with a Euroswitch. I'm sure it can be done with the regular switch also.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
senez said:
What's the reasoning behind no DRLs?
If you want to install aftermarket HIDs, you need to do this because I believe the voltage reduction in DRL mode will kill the ballasts.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Radman said:
I dont think they are required in the US however?
Not mandatory here. They are beneficial in select situations, but those mostly have to do with wide open, long, straight roads with long hours of twilight and dawn, and low sun angles associated with higher lattitudes. Thus the reason they were developed in Scandanavia.
They are useless in city traffic, on divided highways, hilly terrain, curves, and when (or where) the sun is higher in the sky.
For Canada, they make sense in Winnipeg, not Windsor, but y'all have to have them. 'eh?