1984 Diesel Volvo Station Wagon

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Those new parts make all the old parts look so .... old.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
TornadoRed said:
Those new parts make all the old parts look so .... old.
Actually, the whole undercarriage has about 3/32" to 1/8" thick of undercoating. It's as if the factory dipped the whole car in because even the brake cables and such are covered with the stuff. Later!

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Very cool car Harv.

At first I thought your asking price was serious... :eek:

I know a little bit about old Volvos... we have two of them... '73 1800ES's...

Re: tranny fluid... I'm not sure about the newer versions, but the old M41 boxes with the J-type o/d should get straight 30wt non-detergent... in other words: basic garden tractor oil (I used Briggs & Stratton)... I forget which trannies these got... the M410, possibly...

Ain't bleeding those brakes fun? I remember the first time we bled the ES and I looked at the bleed pattern in the service manual and said "***?"

Harvieux

TDI
Final Pictures

Well, As promised, I shot some post detail pics for all to enjoy. The only thing left to do is to use Mother's Aluminum on all the wheels but, they are very clean without as well. Later!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Leonard, this fine specimen appears to have rolled right out of the local time capsule! Very nice...I'd expect nothing less from you ;)

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
That crack free dash is one is one in 15,000 I bet, actually I have never seen pics of a 240 dash that didn't have cracks in it.

So how is the ride with the billys and the sway bars?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
jackbombay said:
That crack free dash is one is one in 15,000 I bet, actually I have never seen pics of a 240 dash that didn't have cracks in it.
I think the only way to avoid dash cracks is to avoid exposure to the sun. There is no protectant you can spray on or wipe on that will do the job.

Harvieux

TDI
jackbombay said:

So how is the ride with the billys and the sway bars?
The billys, F&R sways, and sport springs are fabulous. It lowered her about 1 1/2" as can be seen and compared from the initial post's pics to the recent new pics. Not as harsh of a ride as I was expecting and it's incredible how much more confident I am with her handling now. I haven't really tested her on a windy road as of yet but, I will be driving her from here in the LA area up to Laguna Seca raceway in Monterey,CA on Thursday for the Moto GP race and I'm sure she will be tested at some point of the round trip. Later!

Harvieux

TDI
compu_85 said:
You should install drop in ecodes to replace the DOT squares ;)

-Jason
Jason, If you drop a link to some of these e-codes and if they are not stupid money, I will do just that. Would IPT+ have those? Later!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Great pics, Harv! Looks great with the detailing and the new suspension. :eek:

Harvieux

TDI
Just got back from Laguna Seca and this Volvo was amazing. We pulled the grape vine at a solid 45 mph with a pretty good load aboard. Flawless to and from. No, not a TDI by any stretch but, she's not a slug either. Not a drop of oil burned and I would say she got about 33-34 mpg but, I was running 75-80 mph most of the way. I think I could possibly get 38-40 running 58-60 mph but, that will never happen with me, know whadda mean?;) Later!

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Harvieux said:
Just got back from Laguna Seca and this Volvo was amazing. We pulled the grape vine at a solid 45 mph with a pretty good load aboard. Flawless to and from. No, not a TDI by any stretch but, she's not a slug either. Not a drop of oil burned and I would say she got about 33-34 mpg but, I was running 75-80 mph most of the way. I think I could possibly get 38-40 running 58-60 mph but, that will never happen with me, know whadda mean?;) Later!

Dude, you're making me want to ditch the QSW and go get a 240 diesel Volvo... The Q's paid for, I don't need to buy another car! :(

Harvieux

TDI
Well, I will be having a trailer hitch installed soon to pull a 1000 lbs. trailer with a 1650 lbs. John Deere XUV 850D Diesel 4X4 Utility Vehicle for hunting wild pigs and such.;) I will also be using it for my duties as a track official at Laguna Seca raceway. It is a demo unit with about 80 hours on it and I got a smokin deal. $5K + in options were free such as deluxe top with glass windshield and wiper assy., power dump bed hydraulics, HD front brush guards, bed liner, fender guards, CV boot guards, Deluxe lighting package with turn signals, brake lights, hazzards, etc., top mounted work lights, floor mats, 854 cc Yanmar 3TNV70 3 cylinder Diesel. Picture below is the actual unit. It will be shipped in from Missouri and should be here in less than a week. Later!

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Harvieux said:
Well, I will be having a trailer hitch installed soon to pull a 1000 lbs. trailer with a 1650 lbs. John Deere XUV 850D Diesel 4X4 Utility Vehicle for hunting wild pigs and such.
Apparently there aren't all that many wild pigs in Orange County.
http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=6781

Perhaps a few in the wilds of Anaheim, or in the hills south of Newport Beach.

Harvieux

TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
Nice little Gator. Good deal, too.
Since I got such a decent deal on that Gator, I figured I had better go ahead and acquire the Warn 3000 lbs. John Deere winch assembly which includes the front reciever hitch as well. I also ordered the Garmin Foretrex 201 wrist mount GPS unit so we can venture off anywhere without worry of getting lost. Later!