HELP!!! Where's 06 Jetta TDI's Transmission-fluid Refill plug???????????

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, automatic 6-speed w/ tiptronic
Hi! I had a most unfortunate accident: I was driving on an unpaved road when I felt that something hit my car. I stopped and saw that a rock made a hole in my transmission fluid pan, and all my transmission fluid leaked out. I'm pretty sure nothing else was damaged, so I patched-up the hole, bought the transmission fluid, but i can't find the refill plug. Where is it????

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ya, you've got the DSG... that takes special fluid. I would let the dealer / insurance handle this.

-Jason

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Special fluid and special procedure to fill the trans, which involves using VAG-COM to monitor the trans operating temp. Best bet is to do an insurance claim.

If you need to know, the refill plug and the drain plug are one and the same.

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
Thank You guys! I was gonna take it to the dealer, but my father was convinced that we could do it ourselves. So you are sure tht the drain/fill plug is the same thing?

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
You will need special tool #VAS 6262 which is a special fill hose and adaptor that screws into the fluid check port. I am currently searching for this tool with Samstag and Zelenda. This may not be a proceedure that you would try at home, without the needed skills, however. You know, just like getting into the ring for a championship UFC fight with Matt Hughs ;)! Later!

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I bought the tool and it could be made from local hardware and a VW plug

the fill plug and the drain plug are the same on the DSG the fluid G052182A2 is 22 USD. It will take at least 5llt for a change - we think -
The Bentley is not correct. You can email me if you want detailed pics of VAS 6262

Oh you should replace that pan unless you are absolutely sure your welder fixed it - off the car I hope. What did you use for a gasket make one.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
did you find any dirt in the filter - particles etc.
You are the first to do this let us know any details you can.

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
I have removed the battery and air intake assembly and got clear view of the top of the transmission. On the following pictures I have pointed out devices, purpose of which I don't exactly know.

This seems to be the cover of a device that is very similar to an oil-filter.

The black plastic cap removed, and the filter-like device.

There it is.

We have confirmed that that liquid is the transmission fluid, clean, honey colored oil, smells nothing like other fluids in the car, and obviously comes from the transmission itself.

We have removed that plastic cap with the yellow mark on it, and wondering if it is a possible fluid refill entry point.

The location of those two devices.

Since it was evident to us that the hole under the filter led to the transmission chamber, we gave it a try and started pouring in some fluid, and even though slowly, but it started going down. We did this to see how much would go down, and to test that our weld is leak-proof, assuming that the fluid reached the pan/bottom. We poured in 2 litres so far, until now there's none of it on the ground or around the weld.

So could any of you guys specify what exactly the function of those devices is? And also, does any of you have specifications how much fluid is required exactly? The one dealer I have called so far said it would be 7.2 litres for a completely empty transmission, but i will call a few more to get a confirmation on that.

Thank You for any comments, suggestions or opinions, I greatly appreciate it!

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
Since I've already taken it apart (probably voided some warranties), let me know if you need more pictures before I put it back together. It took some time to figure out how to take off the battery, so I can make a few pix. The bottom of the air-intake and the panel an which the battery was were attached together and it was again some time to figure out how to take them apart, we couldn't just take it off because there was a cable going through the middle of it and that one led to the fuses, so i didn't want to mess with that. But we had to take it iff on order to get access to the tranny, I'm not too knowledgeable about all this but I sure can make more pix if you guys are interested, so there it is. The reason I'm doing this by myself is because I know that the dealer is gonna screw me anyway, so at least I will give it a shot, maybe it works, if not, THEN I go to the dealer, if yes, there's some good info for you...Anyway, wish me luck!

-Fred

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No you have not voided your warrenty but please be careful

Check - my dealer said part# G052182A2 is the fluid
NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT - do not get any other fluid or use a funnel that is contaminated with any other tyep of fluid - your DSG has sintered bronze clutch material. YOU MUST USE VW FLUID as we have not found a replacement. Does it smell almost orderless like a HYDRALIC FLUID.

I will send you pics of VAS 6262 you can make this tool.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you go to VW if you can get another bottom plug DRAIN/FILL plug you can use it to make a tool. Drill it out and weld or thread and insert a nipple for a hose.

how many miles on the car - according to Bentley you should not use the filter over again.

The pics are in your mailbox - so you understand that cleanliness is ultra important
put that filter cap on to protect it - are you going to replace the filter - IT MAY BE WISE TO DO SO - in case there is dirt that could escape the filter now that you have removed it.

were you able to catch the old fluid so you could measure it

Last edited:

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
I'm sure I used the right fluid # G052182A2, here is a picture of it:

# G052182A2

The funnel was brand new and we were cleaning it for at least 7 mins:).

I would be very thankful for your pictures, any chance you could email them to me?
fredykornev@yahoo.com
fred2start@yahoo.com

And again, if you need any pictures from me, I would be most delighted to send them to you.

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok - The trans must be running and 30C in order to fill to the proper level.
I do not have time tonight to type in the fill instructions but I can have them to you by monday night.

Do you have a laptop computer or can you find a VAG-com person willing to help
If not its advisable for you to purchase the cable and software - you will get yoiur money out over the years 350USD

by the way what did the dealer charge you for G052182A2

Last edited:

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
Could you explain to me why is the proper temperature so important? And I need info on how much fluid do I need exactly, I will try to ask a few dealers.
Wjdell, can you specify what are those two devices i have found? Thank You!!!

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
Wow, thank you very much for the pictures, I'm eager to receive your instructions! By the way the dealer charged me $23.36 ...
I was not able to measure the amount that leaked out because I was on the road, and I had nothing to catch it while it was leaking.

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will send the instructions asap -- my computer is down at home could take a few hours after I get home later.

If you had been able to catch the fluid you could have measured it and only put back what came out. The Fluid expands and must be heated to achieve proper level. From what I understand you must fill from the bottom drain/fill combo plug 23 not to bad

BUT HOW DID YOU REPAIR THIS HOLE - ?

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
Ok let me summarize: let us assume that I simpy drained the fluid and want ot refill it, in this case I will need about 5-5.5 litres of nem fluid. You say that the filter needs to be removed in order to do this the right way? I did that, consequentially I can't turn on the engine because the battery and air-intake are taken off. All of you say that it needs to be filled from the plug on the pan, although none of you know what the consequences will of of the fact that i have already put in 2 litres, through the hole that's underneath the filter. So let's say I continue to fill it from the bottom, when will I know that i have reached the proper level? Can't I just fill in let's say 5-6 litres and then put everything back together, open the bottom plug, run the engine for a while and...well its temperature should rise as the engine heats up, no? And see if any of it comes out from the bottom plug?

Last edited:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hopefully, you will be replacing the trans filter anyway, right? Well, once you do, re-install the filter cap, battery tray, batt., etc. because you will be done up there. As I mentioned, assuming you just drained the trans while being level and not on ramps, you then add 5.5 liters which is .3 liters more than the specified amount of 5.2 L. You will have the little plastic level tube in place and torqued correctly like 25 in-lb or so. Start the car and wait for the temp. to reach at least 35 deg. C. The .3 liters of fluid will most likely drain out at say, 28 deg to 30 deg. Watch the draining and when it reaches 35-40 wait till the draining turns to a slight drip, drip, drip. There will be a splash out about every 30 seconds or so which is due to the cooler fluid being thrown into the system but, ignore that once the splash out quits for the next 30 sec. If you never get fluid draining when she gets to or just B4 the required temp., you will have to wait a bit for her to cool down and then add say, another 1/2 liter, start her up and again wait for the draining action turns to a drip, drip ,drip. Button her up and you are good to go. I don't think this process will go smooth trying it from adding fluid from the top and these trannies are too darn expensive to do shade tree assuming in my opinion. Later!

Fred Nikolayevich

TDI
Ok, I understand everything you say, but shouldn't the tranny at least show a sign of life with near perfect amount of fluid? I mean maybe a bit less, but shouldn't it work still?

DrewD

Veteran Member
Fred, I wouldn't push your luck. The DSG is one of a kind technology only available in VW and audi products. You got lucky by not destroying it when you lost fluid.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fred did you drain it completely - via the bottom drain/fill plug. This plug is apx 1" in size and has 1.5 metric pitch