TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI News/Tech (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   VW Still Believes In Diesels; Unveils New 2.0 TDI Mild Hybrid (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=488528)

TDIMeister April 27th, 2018 08:17

VW Still Believes In Diesels; Unveils New 2.0 TDI Mild Hybrid

Diesels are dying? Not so fast, says Volkswagen.
https://www.motor1.com/news/240543/v...gine-revealed/

1854sailor April 27th, 2018 09:10

Finally!

tomo366 April 27th, 2018 12:29

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...CAD-16-10abc4e

kjclow May 7th, 2018 06:41

Better news if it can find it's way across the permanent puddle. Wasn't the diesel hybrid part of the original concept behind the Atlas?

tadawson May 7th, 2018 08:29

Now if someone will come up with an 'electric delete' for it . . . :-) :-)

TDIMeister May 7th, 2018 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadawson (Post 5405779)
Now if someone will come up with an 'electric delete' for it . . . :-) :-)

Then it won't start or charge because it replaces the function of the starter and alternator. You could put in an older bellhousing and conventional starter and maybe fit an accessory bracket from an older car with a conventional alternator, but who knows if the ring gear teeth on the flywheel will still exist...

TDIMeister May 7th, 2018 16:23

I'm all for a BAS system, although I question the utility of so much work being expended just to turn a non-firing engine in the 48V systems that have an e-drive mode (this TDI mild hybrid will not so I digress, but the 48V one used in the V6 TDI apparently will). More elegant would be to have the e-motor/generator in the bellhousing replacing/augmenting the clutch or torque converter.

I thought of doing a poor-man's regenerative retarder using a high-amp 12V alternator that is common in competition sound system circles. I'd add a bank of 18-20V li-ion batteries but nominally maintaining a ~60% SoC and standard 14.4V voltage. When I'm coasting or press a steering wheel button, the alternator would kick into full 18V and full amperage (300A is not uncommon), giving me 5.4 kW of retarding power that charges up the batteries. I can then descend down pretty decent grades without touching the brakes and recuperating the electrical energy as a bonus.

LRTDI May 9th, 2018 04:11

Aircraft starter motors are also alternators generating power. Ram is using a similar system for their new 2019 1500 Hybrids. The technology is coming.

kjclow May 9th, 2018 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRTDI (Post 5406350)
Aircraft starter motors are also alternators generating power. Ram is using a similar system for their new 2019 1500 Hybrids. The technology is coming.

For 2019, the hybrid option won't be available on the ecodiesel. At least that's what the current press is saying.

[486] May 10th, 2018 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDIMeister (Post 5405906)
I'm all for a BAS system, although I question the utility of so much work being expended just to turn a non-firing engine in the 48V systems that have an e-drive mode (this TDI mild hybrid will not so I digress, but the 48V one used in the V6 TDI apparently will). More elegant would be to have the e-motor/generator in the bellhousing replacing/augmenting the clutch or torque converter.

I thought of doing a poor-man's regenerative retarder using a high-amp 12V alternator that is common in competition sound system circles. I'd add a bank of 18-20V li-ion batteries but nominally maintaining a ~60% SoC and standard 14.4V voltage. When I'm coasting or press a steering wheel button, the alternator would kick into full 18V and full amperage (300A is not uncommon), giving me 5.4 kW of retarding power that charges up the batteries. I can then descend down pretty decent grades without touching the brakes and recuperating the electrical energy as a bonus.

I've thought on it too, with some big fat supercapacitors in the mix to suck up the fast spikes of power needed and produced. Some companies make wheel motors that bolt on, could be tossed onto the rear axle real easy.

Finally decided that nah, too much effort.

cheezy May 21st, 2018 06:40

Yup, the diesel hybrid that pulls 60-125 mpg, with less emissions in the promise? Holy crap let's go already...You know GM won't do it.

MrSprdSheet May 23rd, 2018 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by [486] (Post 5406909)
I've thought on it too, with some big fat supercapacitors in the mix to suck up the fast spikes of power needed and produced. Some companies make wheel motors that bolt on, could be tossed onto the rear axle real easy..

sort of like the old GT3 Hybbrid, you could use a flywheel. i'd swear it looks like one aboard the VW Pikes Peak entry, in pssgr seat.

in the end, 48v isnt propelling much (vs 300-800v), and it is tough to see modding it to satisfaction. it's pre-prius tech, for a couple more mpgs. cant even get decent regen from that. right?

[486] May 23rd, 2018 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSprdSheet (Post 5410609)
sort of like the old GT3 Hybbrid, you could use a flywheel.

then you gotta do some oddball stuff with CVTs or maybe an electric motor driving the flywheel and acting as a generator the other way round. Eh, seems easier to just dump the electric into caps and then do whatever with it from there.

Main difference in the high volt stuff versus the low volt stuff is the amperage and therefore size of components required. You can get a lot more wattage through a #1 gauge cable with 400V than with 48V. Same with the transistors in the motor controller, more power through smaller components with higher voltage.

I'm currently picturing a setup at about 60v with 5 batteries. Make up a go pedal with carbon contacts to power it from 2, 3, 4, 5 of the batteries for smoother starts. For winter braking have a separate pedal that shorts the motor to stainless rods as heating elements. Summer braking just use the normal service brakes. Maybe go with an even number of batteries and work out one hell of a series-parallel switch so you get even discharge across the bank.

voila, caveman tech electric car
I've gotta fit my new interstage intercooler, not fiddle with thinking about electric cars, haha:p

turbobrick240 May 24th, 2018 11:39

I hope those five batteries wouldn't be lead acid. Even cave men have moved well beyond that battery tech. for EV usage.

Billion003 June 4th, 2018 18:54

Hybrid

Hybrid...doesn't that dictate automatic transmission? I'm assuming soon I will be having to sell my 2011 Golf TDI, 2-door, 6 speed manual back to VW. (No sunroof, too!).
I'm suffering a crisis in choosing what car I want going forward. (a) I want it to be a 2-door. (b) I want it to be a 6 speed manual. VW seems to have given up on these two basic choice combinations.
(3) I want it to be a diesel because of the low end torque. My present car doesn't feel tin can-ish like oh so many small small cars with high revving 4-cylinder engines.
Except for the Beetle VW won't even be making 2-doors. And I heard rumors the Beetle will be discontinued. And manual transmissions are being dropped, AFAIK. (I'm holding back a major cursing fit.). Broadly, 2-doors are being dropped, too.

At a certain level I am angry at VW for this situation. At another, I am angry at what I feel is an over reaction to the VW diesel problems. I get it that NOX are to be avoided, but for what feels like a couple of decades now the idea of the bug-a-boo of CO2 was screamed from every mainstream media "news outlet." Now, I am going to be forced into a vehicle that gets worse mpg and emits higher levels of CO2. Not only because of the gasoline engine, but also because of increased size and the near requirement of an automatic transmission, which all too often is a CVT. (No effin' thanks.)

My wife's Lexus went into the dealer shop today for breaks. We didn't know it was to be in the shop overnight so they drove is home in an RX 330 (350?...brand new). Its a $43,000+ automobile...and from the way it rode and sounded...it...ain't...worth...it.
There's such an astoundingly standardized/average feel to so many new automobiles these days.

I'm in a real dilemma. What automobile can replace my VW Golf...the car that in my life I've enjoyed the most?

Rant off...temporarily.