TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI News/Tech (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New VW diesel engine (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482582)

ssamalin October 12th, 2017 00:55

New VW diesel engine

http://www.dw.com/en/vw-says-new-die...ean/a-40420382

showdown 42 April 12th, 2018 03:25

Any timeline when this gets approved for use in VW cars? I fear they will slow walk this for years,effectively eliminating diesel cars for yrs.

turbobrick240 April 12th, 2018 05:59

Oh good, the emissions are just some inert dust and hot air. ;)

nomorotors April 12th, 2018 11:25

"Findings published in the respected scientific journal Nature earlier this year revealed that a minimum of 38,000 people around the world die early every year as a result of the failure of diesel vehicles to meet official emissions limits in real driving conditions."

Give me a break!
-Jason

kjclow April 12th, 2018 11:39

I wonder how all of this will shake out with the new board at VWAG. Muller is out and many are wondering who will grab on to his parachute.

listerone April 14th, 2018 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorotors (Post 5398790)
"Findings published in the respected scientific journal Nature earlier this year revealed that a minimum of 38,000 people around the world die early every year as a result of the failure of diesel vehicles to meet official emissions limits in real driving conditions."
Give me a break!
-Jason

And a minimum of 38,000,000 die every year as the result of toenail fungus.

flee April 14th, 2018 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorotors (Post 5398790)

Give me a break!
-Jason

Quote:

Originally Posted by listerone (Post 5399410)
And a minimum of 38,000,000 die every year as the result of toenail fungus.

Maybe there is a way to have it only afflict the incurious and derisive commenters.

GEFP April 15th, 2018 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by flee (Post 5399423)
Maybe there is a way to have it only afflict the incurious and derisive commenters.

I think it would be more useful to have it infect useless politicians!

NSTDI April 17th, 2018 01:51

I wonder how many of these who die are in 3rd world countries where diesels are ancient and spew clouds of black smoke?

turbobrick240 April 17th, 2018 03:31

Those numbers are just based on one statistical analysis, and can't be considered all that reliable or accurate. You can be pretty sure that breathing large amounts of NOx isn't going to help you become a centenarian though.

oilhammer April 17th, 2018 04:39

My grandfather told me once that the death rate is 100%... exactly one per person. :p

I always get a kick out of that. We (humans) choose poorly quite often, and it is funny in an objective manner to think about the fact that in this country we'll gladly crush thousands of 50 MPG cars because "OMG they are going to kill so many people" yet the tobacco industry is allowed to exist. :rolleyes:

If there are aliens watching us, I hope they are laughing... at least someone should get some entertainment. :o

1854sailor April 17th, 2018 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer (Post 5400060)
My grandfather told me once that the death rate is 100%... exactly one per person. :p

I always get a kick out of that. We (humans) choose poorly quite often, and it is funny in an objective manner to think about the fact that in this country we'll gladly crush thousands of 50 MPG cars because "OMG they are going to kill so many people" yet the tobacco industry is allowed to exist. :rolleyes:

If there are aliens watching us, I hope they are laughing... at least someone should get some entertainment. :o

Where's that LIKE button?

vwdsmguy April 17th, 2018 08:43

NOX polution

I have heard it said that 50 of these container ships make more polution than all the world's cars. They burn a fuel 1 step up from crude [bunker fuel]. At least most of this is at sea, not on our roads or in our cities.

jackbombay April 17th, 2018 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwdsmguy (Post 5400132)
They burn a fuel 1 step up from crude [bunker fuel]. At least most of this is at sea, not on our roads or in our cities.

Their fuel is the left overs after gasoline and diesel have been distilled from crude oil, its almost tar, and has to be heated so it will actually flow through the injectors and the fuel system. This "fuel" is super dirty, and cheap, getting ships to switch to anything resembling diesel fuel will be a tough battle.

oilhammer April 17th, 2018 12:23

Many ships switch from HFO (heavy fuel oil) to MGO (marine gas oil) when in port or within a certain distance from a populated area anyway. Some only run the more refined MGO exclusively now, which is not quite the same as #2 diesel, but much closer than HFO and the emissions reduction is significant.

From EPA release:

"Emission measurements were taken on one test vessel while steaming between, approaching,
and hotelling at the Ports of Houston, Veracruz and Alta Mira. It was found that switching from
HFO (with a 3.79 % sulfur content) to MGO (with a 0.01% sulfur content) achieved significant
reductions in emissions of SOx and PM (2.5 micron in size) and small reductions in NOx – 89,
80 and 5 percent respectively – at a 2 percent increase in vessel operating costs, due to the
higher cost of lower-sulfur fuel."