TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI Maintenance (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Upgraded Window Regulators: New Pictures and New PDF's (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=43368)

tongsli July 14th, 2002 17:13

Upgraded Window Regulators: New Pictures and New PDF\'s

Ok,

First thanks to JSG for the written instructions. They helped out a bunch [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Second, make sure you have a 8mm 12pt Triple point Serrated Wrench bit. I wasted time running around looking for one [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/tong...r/P7140899.jpg

Just like any project I seem to do, first lots of pics then as I get into the job, I seem to forget to take pics. So, I will amend these when we get to replacing Golfstream's regulator.

I did the passenger's side and will do my driver's side next.

Lito

New Pictures and organized into THREE PDF's:

Door Panel Removal

Regulator Removal

New Clip Installation

[ August 03, 2002, 23:19: Message edited by: tongsli ]

GoneDiesel July 14th, 2002 19:59

Re: Upgraded Window Regulators: New Pictures and New PDF\'s

Great post. Just in time too! My drive side is out. Anyone heard when the new regulators are out? I called my local stealership but they do not have any yet. The price is sopposed to dro also. Anyone with prices yet?

GoneDiesel July 14th, 2002 20:00

Where can a guy find a tool like that?

tongsli July 14th, 2002 20:27

I hear the new regulators are going to be in the $70.00 range. But, why not just get this kit? It's only $20.

If the rest is in good shape, why replace the entire thing? Having gone through this, you don't have to tansfer the motor, speaker, or door lock.

Saves a bunch of work.

I bought the tool from a Salvo Auto. It's the Performance Tool brand. Pep Boys didn't have it.

Driver's side is a little trickier with the door lock. I will be doing that next.

Lito

Just Some Guy July 14th, 2002 20:42

Quote:

Originally posted by tongsli:

Driver's side is a little trickier with the door lock. I will be doing that next.

Lito[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, there's no difference at all. The lock cylinder comes out exactly the same way.

Glad the instructions helped!

GoneDiesel July 14th, 2002 20:49

Does Salvo Auto have an internet site? Where did you get the kit? I know thats all I need. VW Parts and my stealership were out when I asked. The stealership wanted $50 for the kit and $150 for the new regulator when they come out. LOL! I called the VW consumer line to let them know how unhappy I was to get screwed twice by VW. Once for buying a car with defective windows and then to get banged again in the arse by the parts dept to replace the defective part. They said they would help me with the cost of the part but I'd have to foot the bill for labor. LOL! The stealership wants to charge me ~$200 for labor. I told the woman what they quoted me to replace it and what it would cost me to buy it online. She of course didn't have anything to reply. I want to ask her what she drives?

MOGolf July 14th, 2002 20:51

Lito, if you remove the lower A-pillar trim inside the car, you can disconnect the three electrical connectors and pass the wires out through to the door. This would save unclipping and removing the wiring harness from the door panel. With this approach the only wiring to disconnect is the tweeter, mirror, door light, switches and LED (driver door) IIRC. Just the ones attached to the trim panel. The driver's side requires removing the hood release handle first.

And I don't think you need to completely remove the screws at the window clamping clips through the big covered holes. Just loosen them enough to get the glass free. That way nothing falls inside the door.

Try these the next time and see if it is any easier.

Just Some Guy July 14th, 2002 21:03

Why can't I see the .pdf stuff?

I wanna see!!!

tongsli July 14th, 2002 21:07

Glen,

Thanks for the tips. Removing the little clips is't really hard, just a bunch of them. I will look into this on the driver's side door.

The only reason I pulled the clip apart was by accident!! Didn't mean to [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] One I removed, the other I loosened.

I will add more pics on the next install.

thanks,

Lito

GoneDiesel, I got my repair kit from Impex for $20 each. I bet Master-Carr has that bit you could order online.

Master-Carr's web site

Also, check out www.Zelenda.com They sell a Hazet Multipoint - 8MM 990 LG-8 This might work too. Verify that it has 12pts!!

[ July 14, 2002, 21:05: Message edited by: tongsli ]

tongsli July 14th, 2002 21:28

Page 1: removing the interior door handle

Page 2:removing the interior door panel

Page 3:detail of interior trim panel plastic door clip

Page 4:rmoving harnesses from trim panel

Page 5:taping the glass

Page 6:accessing the door clips

Page 7:removing the window motor harness

Page 8:speaker and mirror harness

Page 9:removing the door lock harness

Page 10:removing the door lock

Page 11:replacing regulator clips

Page 12:new regulator clips installed

Page 13:detail of new cable guide with repair kit

[ July 14, 2002, 20:41: Message edited by: tongsli ]

Chip Master July 15th, 2002 00:29

tongsli,

Is this repair kit a factory VW part or something that someone has made up? If it is a factory VW part, what part numbers do we need for this repair kit?

RC July 15th, 2002 03:20

U da man Lito, great instructional post! Hope I never have to go through this, I just hate yanking door panels off with all those plastic clips, I`m sure to break something. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

lrpavlo July 15th, 2002 07:49

Wow! definately one for the archives don't you think?????

BillW July 15th, 2002 23:56

Are those new and improved clips Aluminum or Plastic? I think metal is the way to go.

I have replaced my driver's side twice. I ended up bribing a VW mechanic for his personal small 12 point bit paying a lot more than what it was worth, but finished my car right away during winter. I have this door install down really fast after two broken window regulators! I would not mind paying for some replacement parts for $20.00 each.

BTW, the dealer actually gave me window regulators for free and I installed them myself.

They just wanted the old regulator assembly to ship back to VW for their reimbursement. After telling them how fast I was at fixing my window regulator, they offered me a job to fix broken regulators, jokingly I hoped!

Personally, VW should cover their own engineering defeat and offer the new metal assembly! I only wish the plastic one they gave me was metal.

Any ideas if they still will cover the replacement free of charge for the metal version?

Does the window have to be broken in order to receive a new regulator?

If not, I would not mind replacing all four of my regulators! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] No more mishasp ever again during those frozen winter months!

harthaug July 16th, 2002 10:47

There is a good thread over on Vortex with some pics of the parts...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=411988