TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Wheel bearing replacement and alignment? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299672)

Henrick November 15th, 2010 04:40

Wheel bearing replacement and alignment?

Hello everyone.

I'm planning to replace fron wheel bearings, both sides on my A5. Will I need to do the alignment after the replacement?

Thanks.

Mach1 November 16th, 2010 00:53

I like to get an alignment everytime I touch a component that can change the settings..But then I believe these high tech suspensions should be in alignment for fuel economy, tire life and performance..

I also have an excellent alignment guy that centers the settings and uses my alignment specs..I have/use different ones then VW..

Other people will say you can align these high tech multi-link suspension with a string, and others that drop the entire LCA and dont realign...

Henrick November 16th, 2010 02:01

My mechanic could replace outer CV boots without messing the alignment too.
Not sure about the wheel bearing replacement. It seems no one knows here, looks like I'll be forced to visit my mechanic and ask him directly.

Ol'Rattler November 16th, 2010 04:51

Kinda depends. If you take something apart that effects alignment, then an alignment is required. In any case, I'd plan for an alinement.................

Vipervnm November 17th, 2010 05:53

Having replaced a wheel bearing just last week I can add some anecdotal info. The alignment numbers came back just fine. Everything was still in tolerance. All this really says is that I put everything back together the same way it came apart and that the new bearing is nice and square.

I don't see how a bearing replacement could change your alignment unless the old and new bearings are not the same. The procedure doesn't have you mess with any of the adjustable components as far as I could see.

jeremy1701 November 17th, 2010 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipervnm (Post 3185008)
Having replaced a wheel bearing just last week I can add some anecdotal info. The alignment numbers came back just fine. Everything was still in tolerance. All this really says is that I put everything back together the same way it came apart and that the new bearing is nice and square.

I don't see how a bearing replacement could change your alignment unless the old and new bearings are not the same. The procedure doesn't have you mess with any of the adjustable components as far as I could see.

I had the same thing happen when I did my wheel bearing. I figured an alignment was in order, but it turned out it wasn't. Still, better to have it checked just for your own piece of mind.

Mach1 November 17th, 2010 17:56

I have mine done everytime I disturb a part that effects alignment, but I dont accept its in range..I want it set to my specs..

A wheel bearing will effect alignment..Especially if the alignment was performed with a loose bearing and play.

Henrick November 17th, 2010 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1 (Post 3185876)
I have mine done everytime I disturb a part that effects alignment, but I dont accept its in range..I want it set to my specs..

A wheel bearing will effect alignment..Especially if the alignment was performed with a loose bearing and play.

Well, this is costy here, at least. Alignment is around $50.

The ols bearing(s) were neither loose nor noisy. I recently replaced my rear bearings so I thought it might be a good insurance to do the front ones too now.

DPM November 17th, 2010 23:35

If only the bearing is replaced (not the swivel hub), and if balljoints & strut come away cleanly without too much force, then alignment will be as-was.

ChasSidwa November 29th, 2010 17:49

I'm getting a growling noise when I make right turns, wheel bearing or a CV joint? I'm hearing from the left front end.