TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI Power Enhancements (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   AHU block, ALH cylinder head? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=162730)

6speed December 27th, 2006 09:25

AHU block, ALH cylinder head?

Just wanted to know if an AHU block will mate to a ALH cylinder head? It's a long shot, but I don't have both next to me to compare.

I'd like to build a hybrid engine with the later internals in an earlier block to install into a vanagon.

vwmikel December 27th, 2006 11:33

The ALH head isn't going to fit right up to the early block.

BleachedBora December 27th, 2006 11:48

I have a new complete cylinder head for an AHU--not the cheap Spanish kind either ;) $895 shipped.
Cheers,
-BB

mojogoes December 27th, 2006 12:44

No 6speed but if you remove the crank end pully from a mk4 bottom end and refit it to the pd 130hp bottom end it will fit your new head.

Lenard January 20th, 2018 19:42

Whoa explain more? What's this Frankensteining I like the sound of

Mongler98 January 25th, 2018 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenard (Post 5372626)
Whoa explain more? What's this Frankensteining I like the sound of

Maybe things changed since 2006! i never heard of any though, heads are block specific but now we have CNC machines and better welders and some people making custom heads so i guess anything is possible after 12 years

senso January 26th, 2018 02:42

I got the idea that you could grab a PD150 shortblock and slap a VP head with some mish mash of pulley matching and using the accessory bracket from the VP into the PD.

That or grab the pistons and rods, sputerred bearings, bore your VP block to accepth the PD pistons and gain a bit more CC and then use the rods and bearings and you have an engine with internals a lot better than the stock ALH.

Yucca January 26th, 2018 03:35

If you use PD bottom end you have to change trigger wheel.

ketchupshirt88 January 26th, 2018 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by senso (Post 5374404)
I got the idea that you could grab a PD150 shortblock and slap a VP head with some mish mash of pulley matching and using the accessory bracket from the VP into the PD.

That or grab the pistons and rods, sputerred bearings, bore your VP block to accepth the PD pistons and gain a bit more CC and then use the rods and bearings and you have an engine with internals a lot better than the stock ALH.

I think jimbote put an ALH head on a BHW if you wanna look him up.

[486] January 27th, 2018 13:43

ahu block and alh head, the issue is the oil drains

you can weld them up to the right size for the AHU head gasket
thinking on it further, if the only difference is the big rectangular oil drain, you could get a tube turned to press fit in the head up where the drain is round, JB weld it in there and have it slip fit and extend down into the block. Make sure to run a really unrestrictive CCV system and it might work. Oh right, vanagon, they run the motor just about on its side... Never mind.
ETA: or maybe run an o-ring groove at the bottom of the tube to seal it in the block

I've got an AHU bare head kicking around, but shipping'd be a tremendous pain. I think I got it thinking I'd convert a 1.6D to a DI motor for whatever dumb reason.

turbovan+tdi January 28th, 2018 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketchupshirt88 (Post 5374728)
I think jimbote put an ALH head on a BHW if you wanna look him up.

I've done an ALH head on a BEW short block, its not that much extra work. :cool:

Franko6 January 31st, 2018 06:46

Why would you want to do that? AHU-ALH? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

turbovan+tdi February 7th, 2018 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franko6 (Post 5376268)
Why would you want to do that? AHU-ALH? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Why not? We do lots of things we shouldn't do and they work either well, so so or goes bad quickly, :eek:

turbocharged798 February 7th, 2018 17:18

Theoretically you would have two vacuum pumps as well.

[486] February 7th, 2018 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocharged798 (Post 5378998)
Theoretically you would have two vacuum pumps as well.

Slap a distributor in there and run spark plug wires to the glow plugs
just to confuse people

not like you really need the GPs on a direct injected motor above 0F anyways