Couple of MAF questions

reflextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI - reflex silver
I have a 2003 with 57k miles and haven't had to change the MAF on it yet. I got a CEL yesterday and it has the symptoms of needing a MAF replacement. I'm contacting a local guy on the list with VAG-COM just to be sure but I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to re-set any errors or faults in VAG-COM after I fix it, or do they automatically go away when the problem is fixed?

2. World Impex lists a TDI ALH and also a TDI BEW on the home page when you sort by make and model. Any idea what the difference is? Mine's a late-year 2003 Jetta sedan, GL trim.

3. Impex has three different MAF's for my car. One is the OEM VW, one is the Bosch and one is a Pierburg insert. Sounds like the Bosch and VW are the same part in different boxes (and different prices...). I thought (from reading FAQ :)) that Pierburg and Bosch were not interchangeable but both are listed for A4 TDI's. Any recommendation on which one I should get - again, assuming that this is the problem?

reflextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I'll get that one - however:

I had the CEL on this weekend and on the way to work today. Driving home and around earlier today it wasn't on and the car drove normally. I'll still find someone to check it with Vag-Com but does this seem strange?

Air filter was changed per maintenance schedule, but I'll open that up and see if there's anything strange in there - doubt it, but I suppose it's worth checking.

broundtree

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS 5sp TDI, Reflex Silver, M1 0W40
reflextdi said:
I'll still find someone to check it with Vag-Com ....
I found a cheap OBD2 tool online for less than $35US, can't foot the bill for the VagCom. The ODB will at least pull the CEL code for ya, then beg for help on this forum and buy the nearest VagCom owner dinner:)

reflextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help, but still running fine again today. The MAF connector is tight, and the last time it probably was taken apart was when a well-respected member here did an intake cleaning for me, about three months ago.

Actually, I can't figure out how to get the connector apart (any tips?) so I'm sure I didn't do it when I changed the air filter at 40k.

I googled OBD2 tool and got a lot of responses. Which one do you have? I have the Bentley book and think the codes are in there, but can't find anything on how to unplug the MAF connector... :eek:

broundtree

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS 5sp TDI, Reflex Silver, M1 0W40
The one I have is a "C-reader". All the cheapo readers are the same, I've used several over the years without problems and they've all come with code charts. I'm still saving for the VagCom package....

The MAF connector has a release clip similar to the other electrical connectors on our engines. You actually have to pull back on the clip (away from the connection/intake tube)rather than pushing down on it like many other makes....

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
broundtree said:
The MAF connector has a release clip similar to the other electrical connectors on our engines. You actually have to pull back on the clip (away from the connection/intake tube)rather than pushing down on it like many other makes....
...and sometimes you have to push down on the plug assembly before the clip releases.

treyca

Veteran Member
I believe you are still within the extended warrenty VW put on their MAF's and window regulator

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
treyca said:
I believe you are still within the extended warrenty VW put on their MAF's and window regulator
No extended warranty for MAF sensors, except for 1999-2001 model years.

Reflextdi: I'd hold off on buying a new MAF, until you're absolutely sure you really need one. A couple months I had two or three "limp mode" incidents, and I really thought I needed a new MAF. So now it's been a couple months, no more incidents, and the new MAF is still sitting here in its box, waiting....

Try some dielectric grease in the MAF connector, before you decide to buy a new MAF.

reflextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks - but I went ahead and replaced it and all is well. I've had a couple of CEL's in the past few days since I've installed it but it sounds like the car is "relearning" the input from the new MAF. Seems to work much better.

According to the local dealer, 2001 was the last model year to be covered by the extended MAF warranty. They wanted $250 to change it. :eek:

I've seen a couple of threads about the die-electric grease. So basically, you just put it around the edge of the connector (like a bead of caulk) to keep the moisture out?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
reflextdi said:
I've had a couple of CEL's in the past few days since I've installed it but it sounds like the car is "relearning" the input from the new MAF. Seems to work much better....
I hope you're right, but I'm doubtful.

I've seen a couple of threads about the die-electric grease. So basically, you just put it around the edge of the connector (like a bead of caulk) to keep the moisture out?
Not exactly. It goes inside the connector -- not too much or it will keep the connector and MAF from snapping together.

Here was the original thread re the "Cage mod".
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=729585

And here's the second one, after the first got too long.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=81288

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Runs like new

I missed this thread when looking for reasons why my bug was running so poorly. I found the thread about replacing the MAF and then using the dielectric grease. Anyway, after doing both things, she runs better than new. Lots of power and no lag at 2000 - 2500. At 95,000 miles, I guess that I may have to pull the intake someday. Thanks to all for the ideas and help.