5 speed tranny fluid?

mxrider3371

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
does anyone know the size of the allenkey to loosen the drain plug on the manual five speeds? i wanted to check the fluid level and probaly change it but i didnt have a allenkey big enough. anyone know the capacity fill either? what kind of fluid is reccommended?

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
The G 070 fluid from VW is recommended.

I've never done it but I've read where someone suggested using one of your wheel bolts with a 17 mm wrench if you don't have or don't want to buy a 17 mm allen bit.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
When I drained mine, one liter came out, and just over one went back in. Also, I'm not too happy with the 070 fluid, it seems a little notchy ever since the change. Maybe go with the 060?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Pennzoil synchromesh is the best, would put it against any of the more expensive fluids out there.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Just to make the discision harder I'd say redline mtl, it's really good stuff to lol.
As for the 17mm tool I used an old wheel bolt

Works a treat and is nice and strong. I tried various things like welding nuts onto a bolt etc but nothing would shift them. Make sure you can get that filler one out first before you start draining the fluid or you might get a bit stuck.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Oil test

I'm running Walmart 75w-90 synthetic blend (seems that's what it is).............. doing a test!:D

As some of you know, I just assumed that since my tranny was nice and clean, top and bottom, that the "fluid" (oil) level was just fine. That assumption trashed my 5th gear! After all, doesn't the owners manual say "life-time." That was at 291k miles!

Well, the "crud" inside was like butterscotch!

Anyway, I ran some regular bulk dino 85w-90 for about 2000 miles, then drained it out........yuke!

So, for about the last 8000 miles it's been doing just fine with the Walmart stuff!...shifts just fine! I do plan to drain it out sometime this month, do a flush and re-fill with the correct oil!

I do have a spare tranny in case this test has to be abruptly stopped!:D

The Check/Fill plug is on the front just below the starter. The drain plug is on the diff at the lowest point!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I'm running Walmart 75w-90 synthetic blend (seems that's what it is).............. doing a test!:D

As some of you know, I just assumed that since my tranny was nice and clean, top and bottom, that the "fluid" (oil) level was just fine. That assumption trashed my 5th gear! After all, doesn't the owners manual say "life-time." That was at 291k miles!

Well, the "crud" inside was like butterscotch!

Anyway, I ran some regular bulk dino 85w-90 for about 2000 miles, then drained it out........yuke!

So, for about the last 8000 miles it's been doing just fine with the Walmart stuff!...shifts just fine! I do plan to drain it out sometime this month, do a flush and re-fill with the correct oil!

I do have a spare tranny in case this test has to be abruptly stopped!:D

The Check/Fill plug is on the front just below the starter. The drain plug is on the diff at the lowest point!
75w90 GL-5 will make corrosion on Vw brass synchros.
I
would drain that as soon as possible.

G 060 726 A2 is the best option for those transmission.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
does anyone know the size of the allenkey to loosen the drain plug on the manual five speeds? i wanted to check the fluid level and probaly change it but i didnt have a allenkey big enough. anyone know the capacity fill either? what kind of fluid is reccommended?
Buy fluid form dealer if you want to have good long wise transmission.
Part # G 060 726 A2.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I would drain that as soon as possible.

Did you read the post closely? I'm not too worried about it! I'd say the brass syncro rings look far better right now than they did 10,000 miles ago (Sept of '11).

Here are few photos of the 5th gear, etc., last September:
Not corroded, but coated with worn-out OE tranny oil

Another shot with complete syncro assembly and gear

Notice that the brass syncro ring cleaned up nicely. So, the Wally World GL-5 should "corrode" it in due time?

Do you have photos of "corroded" brass syncro rings that was caused by the use of 75w-90 GL-5? What trannys is that oil used in? Do those trannys have a "different" type of brass?

When the "test" is finished, I just might post the results!

Last edited:

jkornbread

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 speed
I'm running Amsoil MTG in mine, its a GL4 synthetic, so far so good. Put it in right after buying the car in november at 234K miles. I lifted the front end of the car enough to get the proper amount in. I found that info on here (huge thanks for that guys!).

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I have used GL-5 in my trans as well, brass syncros were fine when I had it apart. Putting some cheap 80W-90 back in it. Me and Mike(hevster1) had a talk about and we both agreed that GL-5 lubes will NOT hurt your trans. We also both agree that we do not like G070 as its too thin.

The myth that "GL-5 lubes will kill your trans" is just that, a myth. It does not appear to have any truth to it what so ever.

Heck, you probably could run motor oil in these trans and it will probably work just fine.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, the point I tried to get across is simply this, seems that "we" have the impression that the metal in our TDIs (trannys too) is different than that used in, say, a 25 year vehicle. Where in fact, if anything, it should be better. Thus, the oil of yester-year should work just fine in some applications. And further, the more improved modern oils should work even better. I think the GL-5 is a modern oil.

I've read the statements about GL-5 corroding the brass syncro rings, but have never seen the proof. Well, my question is why? Why would they make the stuff and market it? Or, are the brass syncro rings in a VW tranny inferior to those in other trannys? Something doesn't make sense about this at all!

Haligen

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Royal purple max gear made my transmission smooth out tremendously. The brown soup I drained out was shot.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I think a lot of this brown soup issue is maybe caused by the shift tower bearing wearing out and getting rusty. I have a theory that the condensation collects up in there and rusts it up.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
I would drain that as soon as possible.

As far as I have it that was a problem in the old Beetle trannys, do not think so any longer.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Well, the point I tried to get across is simply this, seems that "we" have the impression that the metal in our TDIs (trannys too) is different than that used in, say, a 25 year vehicle. Where in fact, if anything, it should be better. Thus, the oil of yester-year should work just fine in some applications. And further, the more improved modern oils should work even better. I think the GL-5 is a modern oil.

I've read the statements about GL-5 corroding the brass syncro rings, but have never seen the proof. Well, my question is why? Why would they make the stuff and market it? Or, are the brass syncro rings in a VW tranny inferior to those in other trannys? Something doesn't make sense about this at all!
Andy...I've experienced the bad shifting of regular GL5 from advance auto in a 02J myself...drove the car for about 1.5 miles ...I could feel the syncros taking about twice as long as normal to "work"....drove right back to the shop and filled with OE fluid (g06) problem immediately solved.... also was witness to the degradation of brass syncros first hand while assisting Landon Grindstaff (turbinewhine) in a fluid change on his personal car ....he had been running GL5 mobil one for XXX amount of miles....what came out can only be described as "liquid syncros" what you would imagine if you dissolved your precious brass in a strong acid :D...I'll try and find the pic's and post up here.... it's OK to experiment on your own car but please don't encourage others to do the same...ain't worth it !!

picture taken just after draining the trans oil on Landon's 02J after using mobil one synthetic GL5 gear oil.... "liquid syncros"

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Andy...I've experienced the bad shifting of regular GL5 for advance auto in a 02J myself...drove the car for about 1.5 miles ...I could feel the syncros taking about twice as long as normal to "work"....drove right back to the shop and filled with OE fluid (g06) problem immediately solved.... also was witness to the degradation of brass syncros first hand while assisting Landon Grindstaff (turbinewhine) in a fluid change on his personal car ....he had been running GL5 mobil one for XXX amount of miles....what came out can only be described as "liquid syncros" what you would imagine if you dissolved your precious brass in a strong acid :D...I'll try and find the pic's and post up here.... it's OK to experiment on your own car but please don't encourage others to do the same...ain't worth it !!
On my MK3 I had same problem with shifting. When got can few years ago the owner had it before me had Castrol 80w90 GL 5 Synthetic put just before sold it to me. I did not like the way car was shifting , it would grind , hard to shift from gear to gear ,etc..
So I drain it and put original fluid , immediately after that car start to shift perfect and since then I have not have problem.
MK3 has almost same transmission as MK4 has.Only difference is MK3 will take G 050 fluid which is little thicker then G 060.

Like I said G 060 fluid never had problems at all, ONLY PROBLEM is that people do not want agree that this fluid needs to be change every 80-100K Miles.
That is the one of the biggest problem for those transmissions.

I had every single customer more then happy after I replace fluid every 80-100K miles . Every single one of them willl notice better and nice shifting.
One more time:
G 060 Original fluid is THE BEST option for those transmission.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I just put 15W-40 rotella motor oil in my trans. Shifts great. Flame away, the trans is its last legs with a bad second gear grind. g70 and syncromesh both didn't help.

Thor

TDI
Jetta 2000 black
Amsoil Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 MTGQT GL_4
I use that in transmission after rebuild, gears had a ash coating over them and gear lube had a burnt smell to it. Probably do to the 220 mile round trip each day to work for a year at high speeds, cause the fluid to burn up. I had no trouble after switching to Asmoil gaer lube.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Not sure of what's 'best' but the nearly 400,000 miles on my smooth shifting original transmission with Amzoil GL-4 says a lot to me. Change it every 80-100k and drive happy.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jimbote ..............that's proof enough for me.

I guess the question is, what trannys is the GL-5 used in? Or, does it play hovac with any and all trannys?

Well, I've been running the stuff since last September.........good thing I didn't install that loaner gear.......LOL.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just put 15W-40 rotella motor oil in my trans. Shifts great. Flame away, the trans is its last legs with a bad second gear grind. g70 and syncromesh both didn't help.
Maybe I should run some 15w-40 after dumping out the Walmart elCheapo. That could be my final flush and then install the correct oil.

Right now, it really shifts nice.