cold startup problem on cold weather

xls

TDI
PD 101HP
I read the sticky post on the startup issues, but there is something a little different with my VW Golf 4, 2003, 1.9TDI, 101HP.
In the morning, when the temperature is around -10 celsius, it does not start from the first try, the lights on board are on, I wait for the glow plugs indicator to turn off, then turn the key completely, but no sound, except a little hum. After trying this for a few times, it starts normally, the rpm is 1100 then decreasing to normal.
During the day, or when the temperature is around 0 celsius, it start without a problem, from first try.
When it first happened I changed the battery, and the problem dissapeared.
Perhaps the alternator is not properly charging the battery? Or maybe a dirty contact?

xls

TDI
PD 101HP
Hi Rob,

What can I check to make sure that is the issue?
Thanks!

occb2

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Well

There is a few things. What I would do if you have the room. Roll the car on a ramp. Leave it in the cold. The next day, when it would normally have the problem. Attempt to start it. If no start. Tap the solenoid and see if it kicks in. That is the old fashion way. You can pull it out and on a bench, check out the starter. That is what I would do. It looks like an easy job from under the car. Snap on sells a hand unit that hooks up to the battery and the starter and you can with a push of a button, turn the starter over outside your car. Cool also be the wiring going to the starter from the battery. Hope this helps.
Rob

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
I would check out all your contacts and grounds to the starter first. Take them off, clean them with steel wool or sandpaper and put them back together. This means taking out the battery and battery tray to get to the grounds and starter underneath but that could be part of your problem.