TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   General VW Discussion (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Why GM is betting on the Diesel (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472566)

vwgtiglx January 11th, 2017 11:11

Why GM is betting on the Diesel

I give GM credit for taking advantage of a demand from a market out there unfulfilled.
http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-...n=awdailydrive

https://www.yahoo.com/news/diesel-ge...160427439.html

n1das January 11th, 2017 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwgtiglx (Post 5218568)
I give GM credit for taking advantage demand of a market out there unfulfilled.
http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-...n=awdailydrive

This is some good news for a change. I welcome diesel vehicles to the USA market from any and all manufacturers. :) I am one of those tech-savvy people mentioned in the article who still want the diesel no matter what. :cool:

kiwibru January 11th, 2017 14:56

Well, darn. Put that 1.6L diesel in a slightly down-sized Canyon pick up w/ 4WD and it would be an even better than the current Canyon with 2.5L diesel! Kind of a reset to the Isuzu Pup days only more high-tech than ever! The interior looks so much like the Canyon it is scary.

truman January 11th, 2017 17:02

Terrain looks really nice
More interesting than 18 Tiguan with no diesel
I suspect Buick Regal wagon may also sport the same engine

waltzconmigo January 11th, 2017 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by truman (Post 5218833)
Terrain looks really nice
More interesting than 18 Tiguan with no diesel
I suspect Buick Regal wagon may also sport the same engine

Buick wagon ('81) was my first vehicle, mom worked in food distribution and left some fish in the back a weekend (family emergency), needless to say she never used it again. Lots of time spent with a wet-vac and eventually she smelled "as good as" not new but not poisoned. That new model is certainly better looking.

narongc73 January 17th, 2017 18:16

Chevy/GM/Most American cars quality is awful. Adding a diesel engine isn't going to make it any better. You guys be the guinea pigs.

GoFaster January 17th, 2017 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by narongc73 (Post 5222418)
Chevy/GM/Most American cars quality is awful. Adding a diesel engine isn't going to make it any better. You guys be the guinea pigs.

What's your basis for that statement?

This isn't the 1970s any more, and VW is hardly the bellwether of supreme reliability ratings if you choose to pay attention to JD Power or Consumer Reports.

I now have two vehicles from the supposedly-horrible FiatChrysler in the driveway, and know what ... they've both been fine. No turbo, no direct-injection, no DPF, no SCR, no MAF (historical VW problem area), one of them has no timing belt and the other one isn't due until 240k km, Uconnect and Blue&Me both work well (no RNS510 horror stories here), no searching out special engine oil.

kiwibru January 17th, 2017 22:14

I would have to agree with GoFaster. I have been crawling all over, inside and out of the GMC Canyon and I have to say they have come a long way. Most interesting is the use of metric fasteners, bolts, etc. To me this speaks of the "internationalization" of the modern cars and trucks. The quality is quite a lot better than I suspected too. A lot has changed since I bought my first TDI in 2000. I think the changes are universal too. No better way to compete in the market than by upping the quality!

ducatiz January 20th, 2017 12:52

Now that VW/Audi are quitting the diesel market for the US, you can expect the other makers to follow suit. The only reason GM tried diesel was because of the high mpg and popularity of the TDIs. Now that no one is driving that, it's done.

Sad really. I love mine. But that's pretty much it for diesel in passenger cars in the US. 4-5 years maybe of GM and MB selling them.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...typ=newDslCars

Steve-o January 21st, 2017 11:49

I once read a comment from an editor high up in some national newspaper; something on the order of the U.S. having forgiven the Japanese for Pearl Harbor and Germany for Hilter but never having forgiven Ford for that Pinto or GM for that Vega we bought back in the 70s.

The quality of all cars has improved steadily over the years, American cars included. Even the worst of them is not "bad" and is better than the best cars managed even 15-20 years ago. We now expect even the cheapest "penalty-box" economy car to last past 200,000 miles. Saying "American cars are crap" is working with old information.

As to whether other companies will bring in diesels, I think a lot depends on 1) the immediate future of EPA regulations [a rollback would help a lot though it still leaves out the states using CARB regulations]; and 2) the take rate on smaller cars (now that gasoline is historically cheap; already FCA and Ford have announced that they're re-thinking how they make and sell smaller cars).

I think every manufacturer has learned from VW, BMW, and Daimler that making diesels meet current emissions regs is not simple. Subaru and Mazda said for years they were bringing in diesels; they haven't. IIRC Chevy's diesel Cruze lasted a year or two before they suspended production for a while because they weren't selling enough of them.

I suspect we're not going to see any new passenger-car diesels unless they're the fastest cheapest way to meet fleet regulations. And I don't anticipate that being the case anytime soon.

Pat Dolan January 22nd, 2017 07:29

I have been driving VW diesels since 1976. Our current MkIV may well be our last VW ever (kids driving B6 gasser wagon and B7 TDI). Just spent last summer's spare time dealing with the horrendous screw-up of the TSI (timing chain skipped, crashed valves). No diesel, no manual, no AWD but most of all NO B7 Variant with actual cargo space means I am pretty much done with VW. Oh...and no T5 diesel either.

If GM wants to step in to fill that void, I will probably go there. My farm chore truck is an ancient ('97) 6.5TD, and it has been almost zero anything except for service and the odd broken trim piece, door handle and oil cooler line for 10 years. HORRIBLE fuel mileage, but tolerates my alternative fuels very well. We have a fleet of GM pickups at one place I work, and while not perfect, they are able to do what no VW could ever do any more - stay on the road at minimal cost. I have a fleet of Ram pickups and 4500/5500s in the US, and similar to the GMs up here, not perfect, but in no way full of the massive compromises of truly incompetent engineering that VW has come to represent with every new design of engine or vehicle.

In case you think I am Yankee biased: I have been a VW mechanic and VW dealer decades back, and owned, played with, restored and raced pretty much nothing but VWs for the last 50 years. It takes a lot for VW to have pissed me off enough to finally walk away, but by withdrawing the last bit of desirable product offering (diesels) they have finally done it.

2015vwgolfdiesel January 22nd, 2017 07:53

Quote:

Amen X 100 :eek::rolleyes::(:D:p:cool:

El Dobro January 22nd, 2017 12:27

Quote:

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds

turbobrick240 January 22nd, 2017 12:42

The new Cruze hatchback is essentially a rebadged Opel Astra. A car that has won many accolades in Europe. But I have no issues with american engineering. I have a jeep cherokee with over 300k that has been awesome.

GoFaster January 22nd, 2017 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dobro (Post 5225001)

Take note: Chevrolet has a better rating than Honda, both are better than average, and VW is worse than average but for all practical purposes tied with Fiat (bad reputation - IMO undeserved) and Scion (which equals Toyota - good reputation).

But ... The difference is between that of having two problems per car in the first three years (worst on chart) and one problem per car in the first three years (best on chart). In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

And the biggest problem area ... Infotainment! "My cell phone wouldn't pair up." "The navigation system wouldn't respond to my voice."