TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Future TDIFests (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   TDIFest 2017 location discussion (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451703)

IndigoBlueWagon April 7th, 2017 18:25

Andy, you may be right, but here's an alternative view.

VW has just secured approval to sell the 12,000 new TDIs that are on dealer lots. In addition, dealers can retrieve any 2015 TDIs that they've bought back and resell them. I'm not sure how many cars that totals, but I would guess it's over 30,000 TDIs back on the roads. And if they get EPA approval on the fix for the Gen 1 cars (they say they're optimistic) that could be another several hundred thousand cars that either remain in the fleet or come back to it. And the people who buy these cars this time are far more likely to be enthusiasts, as non enthusiasts (like the lady at the lab) wouldn't go back to VW.

We may have much more traffic and interest in a TDI fest in 2018.

aja8888 April 7th, 2017 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyBees (Post 5261430)
Wow! If this sort of thing is happening across the land, it's hard to believe VW will come back as strong as it has been.

Yes, they certainly crapped in their small nest here. Their ambitious goal of 800,000 units sold in the U.S. a few years ago will probably never materialize here. But they still make a decent car, and are still #1 or #2 in worldwide sales.

And all the dealers suck, not just VW ones. It's all about sucking cash out of car owners at those places, and they have some questionable ethics too.

AndyBees April 8th, 2017 06:44

Well, it is good to learn that many of those "buy-backs" will be available for sale.

As for dealers, I have to share this story.

January of 2016, I purchased an 89 Vanagon Carat that had spent it's life in the Knoxville, TN area (no rust). I became the 3rd owner of this somewhat low mileage vehicle (142k).

Anyway, I got all the "paper work" with it. I put it all in chronological order.......... I was so amazed at how much was spent on this vehicle at the local dealer ....... unreal. Without all the details, much of it looked to be totally unnecessary!

I installed a used ECU and it's been running just fine for 15 months!

VeeDubTDI April 8th, 2017 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5261446)
Andy, you may be right, but here's an alternative view.

VW has just secured approval to sell the 12,000 new TDIs that are on dealer lots. In addition, dealers can retrieve any 2015 TDIs that they've bought back and resell them. I'm not sure how many cars that totals, but I would guess it's over 30,000 TDIs back on the roads. And if they get EPA approval on the fix for the Gen 1 cars (they say they're optimistic) that could be another several hundred thousand cars that either remain in the fleet or come back to it. And the people who buy these cars this time are far more likely to be enthusiasts, as non enthusiasts (like the lady at the lab) wouldn't go back to VW.

We may have much more traffic and interest in a TDI fest in 2018.

I think that's pretty optimistic. I don't think 30,000 coming back will offset a loss of several hundred thousand. But as you say, they are much more likely to be enthusiast-owned, which may bode well for future events.

IndigoBlueWagon April 8th, 2017 17:18

30,000 is a lot of TDIs, historically. VW was selling fewer than 10,000 ALHs annually because of fleet emissions limits. I'd love to see the Gen 1 cars come back, but I agree that may be optimistic.

Lug_Nut April 12th, 2017 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5261446)
In addition, dealers can retrieve any 2015 TDIs that they've bought back and resell them. ... And if they get EPA approval on the fix for the Gen 1 cars (they say they're optimistic) that could be another several hundred thousand cars that ... come back....

After hearing so many owners say they were stopping all maintenance, including oil changes, pending the buy back I don't think I'd want one of these, ever.

IndigoBlueWagon April 12th, 2017 18:45

Well, there's that. I can only hope that there are good cars that have escaped the treatment of the vocal few that are neglecting and abusing the returned cars (including dealer employees from what I've been told).

SilverGhost April 13th, 2017 08:03

We have seen both here. Some even did 40k and 80k a couple months before turning the cars in. Others won't fix even worn brakes or bald tires.

There have been a few come in with bumpers falling off and trunk lids tied shut, but for the most part they have been mechanically in decent shape.

Jason

bbarbulo April 15th, 2017 22:02

aww why the talk of "no 2017 fest" ??

aja8888 April 16th, 2017 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbarbulo (Post 5264974)

It's a bummer. The Wisconsin one last September was a great time, but it's too late to get one organized for this Fall, and no one has stepped forward with a plan anyways.

I'd like to see another Fest in the Northeast as I was not able to attend the last ones due to work, but I am free as a bird now and have family in Connecticut.

For 2018, planning should start in a few months. But....:confused:

VeeDubTDI April 18th, 2017 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbarbulo (Post 5264974)

Where were you at the local-to-you Fests? ;)

Got diesel May 3rd, 2017 11:56

How about Kansas City !!!!

romad May 3rd, 2017 12:27

Are you offering to put together a bid for 2018?

jasonTDI May 10th, 2017 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got diesel (Post 5273497)
How about Kansas City !!!!

Kansas or Missouri? Missouri has a lot of archaic tax laws that prevented a fest from being held there in the past so that's out.

Honestly? I think it would be a really low turn out. No offence but there is no draw to the area to get people to come other than good BBQ.

romad May 10th, 2017 13:44

Since it is too late for 2017, I suggest this thread be locked and a new one for either 2018 or 2019 be created.