The perfect National Parks touring machine

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
If I had one wish it would be a 4wd TDI Eurovan. Now that would be the high life.

But where to fine one within my budget. Any ideas ? Even if it wasn't 4wd. I'd be reasonably content with a TDI Eurovan.

You folks have always been an amazing resource in the past so
Go

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There have been a few conversions, but not AWD. The later T4s (for us) were all cursed with the chain-chunking VR6 bolted to the rando-fail 01P slushbox, so they were ripe for a TDI+manual conversion. But when you do run across one, people want stupid crazy money for them. I had a '93, which was the only year we could get a manual and those were all the 2.5L 5 cyl, which while not as powerful as the VR6, are infinitely more durable. Mine was an automatic, though.

Having had every generation of Transporter sold here, I'd say the best all around vehicle is a tie between the late T2 (1975-79) and the T3 (Vanagon, 1980-91). They are roomier inside, better seating position in front, were available here with the actual Westfalia camper package, and from 1986-91, were also available with AWD. Those command a lot of money, too, but TDI conversions are common on those. The T4 is better at higher highway speeds (70+) due to its longer wheelbase and more narrow streamlined body. But for camping, there is no contest, the rear engined Buses are FAR superior.

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
Well that was informative.

OK so lets build a dream machine with the input I get and see where it leads.

Criminal there's no AWD version

TDI conversion sounds like a pain

So who's got one they think is optimal for the cost and what is it?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
How about this: (the people's choice award winner at the 2010 TDIFest in Portland)

Have Fun!

Don

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
I love it but there are no soft sided tents allowed in my area of the park. Too many tourists getting eaten by bears.

Same vehicle but with a hard top would be perfect. So what is that thing ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is the double cab pickup version of the T3. We never got any commercial versions of any Transporters after the 1971 model year due to the Chicken Tax.

But single cabs, double cabs, panel vans, etc. are alive and well everywhere else.

The tent is just something they put on it, it is not part of the truck.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I don't know if any of these are diesels. But I do know that there are some wicked cool 4wd vanagons here. And I know that some of them sold for a kings ransom. Enjoy.

https://www.gowesty.com/vehicle-sales-history.php

I went down the VW camper van rabbit hole for a week or two earlier this year. Ultimately I decided I didn't want to deal with owning another vehicle and we got a fiberglass "egg" camper instead. Tows very well with the Touareg.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I see the 12 window vans come up on Mekam auctions every once in a while. They go for almost 100k. Crazy