TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI 101 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Mechanic "blew engine" after repair while test driving (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=498050)

scooperhsd April 9th, 2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLXD (Post 5498310)
Redline was a poor choice of words. I meant do you drive it as Growler describes. Driving in the fast lane is not the same.

Smells like an oil fed runaway to me initiated by incorrect QA position.

I don't see a TC happening to fail after a guy opened up the pump.

300k Is not high mileage for a TDI. Mine has 400k and I would have no qualms about redlining it. And here I do mean redlining.

My ALH Beetle will pull redline very handily (5000 RPM) - and smoke like a train doing it (overfueled). I try to avoid that. And I'm at 370K miles. My tune enables this....

iluvmydiesels April 9th, 2019 10:11

almost all these cases posted where the engine over-revs a valve will go into a piston before a rod goes out of the block.
seems obvious he was hot-rodding it. probably hard.
how many miles were on it?

showdown 42 April 9th, 2019 11:18

We all have to learn how to read posts. Our school system is an embarrassment.

belome April 9th, 2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels (Post 5498357)
almost all these cases posted where the engine over-revs a valve will go into a piston before a rod goes out of the block.
seems obvious he was hot-rodding it. probably hard.
how many miles were on it?

I'm not sure you can hotrod a motor much more than having it runaway.

melbatst April 9th, 2019 11:55

Have been to St. Louis many times - was questioning the reference that "DFIS was right in my neck of the woods" - as the west coast of Oregon is in a different woods than Missouri, just take Farty-Four and keep driving.

Thanks for the info on the Bosch facility

melbatst April 9th, 2019 12:01

I agree with your mileage assessment. Probably don't redline it as I guess I need to.

melbatst April 9th, 2019 12:06

Quantum,

I'm about 3 hours away (central coast) but can get to Portland - would be thankful for any involvement. Mad at myself for getting into this position.

melbatst April 9th, 2019 12:08

Should be banned for not checking the list - took his recommendation and trusted it

melbatst April 9th, 2019 12:12

320k, but all the maintenance (timing belts, filters, ...) has always been done.

melbatst April 9th, 2019 12:15

Showdown,

So true. Lack of proper capitalization is rampant.

csstevej April 9th, 2019 13:00

I would take the pump off and document it with video and send it to DFIS for a tear down report and see what they find.
It’s hard to go against an authorized dealer with high recommendations and depending on there findings go from there.
I would also get ahold of your insurance company and possible a lawyer.

CrazyQuantumMan April 9th, 2019 13:05

I'm currently in NC but will be home April 17th. We are headed to Newport next week to visit family so if you're in that area I can come help out. I'll bring my video gear and we'll do a quality reveal on the pump.

IndigoBlueWagon April 9th, 2019 13:39

It doesn't really matter what happened: the car threw a rod while in your mechanic's care and while they were test driving it after a repair. We could speculate on why that happened but regardless I would say they owe you an engine.

bizzle April 9th, 2019 14:35

I don't think we can simply conclude that, since it broke in the mechanic's possession, he's liable for replacing it. That kind of rule would expose businesses to an untenable amount of liability--any time someone brought something in for repair the shop would have to refuse to test drive the car or else risk having to replace anything that breaks after the repair is complete. They'd simply give you the car back and, if something breaks on the drive home, you'd be legally liable for it under this new "possessor fixes any defects" legal theory. People would shoelace and bubble gum their cars back together to limp them into their closest mechanics in the hopes the engine would blow and they get a new one.

Less theoretical, however, is the very real mindset of anyone reviewing this case and concluding that a 300K vehicle is susceptible to anything happening regardless of who is driving and the owner could have just as likely been behind the wheel (maybe that's how test drives would be done, with mechanics riding shotgun and refusing any liability for anything going wrong before, during, or after an isolated repair). That is, if it ever gets to the point of a judge or insurance adjuster looking at the facts, they're going to want and need a piece of paper or testimony from some expert stating that the mechanic caused the fault rather than it simply happening in due course while under the mechanic's care/supervision.

BobnOH April 9th, 2019 14:43

Real tough case, we've had 2 of these today. Best of luck to you. DFIS will certainly tell you what shape they find the pump in, and it'll cost roughly the price of a new one. But I don't know if they or anyone can tell you that's what caused the engine damage.