TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI 101 (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cruise Control Retrofit, MKIV Golf (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245638)

Bino April 23rd, 2009 19:27

Cruise Control Retrofit, MKIV Golf

Hey all, I just picked up (well, will be picking up this weekend), a 1999.5 2dr. Golf TDI. The car is not currently equipped with Cruise Control, as per the dealer. I found this link, that outlines the cruise control retrofit. I just wanted to clarify whether or not these instructions are valid for US made vehicles. Everything I've found about Cruise Control retrofits says something specifically about European models.

Much Thanks

MOGolf April 23rd, 2009 21:23

I don't think I've seen a US market MkIV Golf/Jetta/NB without a cruise control. Yes, the instructions do look like they are correct for fitting it, if it truly is missing.

Growler April 24th, 2009 04:22

I remember that the GL newbeetles did not have cruise control in the first couple of years. altho all I remember them having to do was get a cruise control stalk and plug it in.. not the extra wiring shown here.

perhaps its different for the golf/jetta.

Bino April 24th, 2009 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOGolf
I don't think I've seen a US market MkIV Golf/Jetta/NB without a cruise control. Yes, the instructions do look like they are correct for fitting it, if it truly is missing.

Yeah, I've read a couple times that all TDI's come with Cruise Control. So perhaps the dealership is just confused... they didn't go out and look at the car when I asked. And it seems odd that it would have A/C but not cruise... given that A/C is a ton of extra components, and the cruise is just a switch on a stalk that has to be there anyway... I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the replies.

jcrews April 24th, 2009 09:42

It could have the stalk, but the cruise could be disabled. There are login codes that switch it on and off. About 1 minute with the VCDS and it will work if it's just turned off.

NB_TDi April 24th, 2009 13:07

There is no cruise light on the 99 and 00. If that's what threw 'em off.

Check the stalk yourself. Don't let other people tell you what something is or isn't when buying a car.

Birdman April 24th, 2009 17:03

My 01 did not come with the cruise light, I think they started in 02 but not sure. I have am Euro ECU that when I use it the light comes on so the lights are there just not turned on. I don,t like or need another light on anyway,

Bino April 25th, 2009 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by NB_TDi
Check the stalk yourself. Don't let other people tell you what something is or isn't when buying a car.

I should have clarified... I'm not close enough to actually look at the car. I would know perfectly well if I were sitting in the drivers seat whether or not there was cruise control :rolleyes:...