Stereo upgrades?

snakefart

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT ------ 2013 Jetta 6MT (went away)
I'm looking to upgrade the headunit on my recently purchased 11' JSW. I would like something I can hook my iPod directly to, like my 13' Jetta had. Bluetooth or USB connection is fine. My current HU has the larger display, sat, etc, but I am missing not having iPod control. Any help?

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I love my Pioneer MVH-1400NEX. Sounds great, nice screen, has CarPlay. An easy install.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
You need a 2012 or newer radio and a newer Bluetooth module to be able to change songs using the radio/steering control. They’ll also support A2DP. Send me a message and I can try to find one for you.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I have the stock radio I pulled from my ‘13 JSW was going to put on eBay, if you’re interested.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I guess you need steering wheel controls to accomplish a radio upgrade? I don't have them in mine.

crxgator

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta BRM 5 speed
RCD330+

Plug and play into my 12 JSW in 10 minutes.

Can get them for $160 shipped with CarPlay only from AliExpress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
RCD330+

Plug and play into my 12 JSW in 10 minutes.
I just installed one of these in my 13 Golf and I am quite happy with it.

Question: Does the 330+ work with the steering wheel controls?

I don't have steering wheel controls, but it is a swap I'd consider if I found the parts cheaply enough.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
No, because I bought an adapter to retain steering wheel controls.
How well does it work with you dash display functions? Which interfaces/adapters did you use

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
And another question!

Sound quality? I have the factory amp (not the Dynaudio, the Lear) and it seems hit or miss on the sound quality.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
RCD 330+ Upgrade

I thought I’d add to this thread rather than starting a new one since I’m pretty much on topic.

I installed a “no name” RCD 330+ earlier this week to replace my RCD 510 and have to say I’m very happy. I bought it from Jacky, one of the vendors on the RCD330PLUS website, with the 5518 firmware upgrade. Good price and it arrived via Chinapost in 16 days. This is a stock radio removed from a 2016 Chinese market Passat and is in perfect cosmetic condition.

Trickiest part of the install is to remove the stock trim around the radio without damaging it. You need trim removal tools and a bit of care. The two top inner catches are the toughest. The rest is a screwdriver and plug and play.

Everything except the MFD works as per stock, just as promised on all the storefront advertising. Steering wheel controls, Apple CarPlay, FM radio, hands free Bluetooth, speed sensitive volume. It looks more like it belongs in the car than the RCD510 did, faceplate matches perfectly, onscreen graphics look classier, the chrome accents mimic the chrome around the air vents above. Maybe, just maybe, the chrome has a slightly higher lustre but perhaps that is age and wear.

Sound is IMHO better than the RCD510, at least listening to radio. And now for the two hidden benefits that got me really excited:

A) the screen can be set to automatically turn completely off after 10 seconds of no adjustment with the unit still playing. No more covering the screen when driving at night.
B) turning the ignition off has NO EFFECT, the radio keeps playing until the key is removed.

Disclaimer: I have already upgraded my body control module to run the AFS headlights and my cluster country setting is something other than Canada, can’t remember if I left it on Germany or something else. With metric instruments there is no obvious difference between countries.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
does it have android auto? also how responsive is it? is it slow or laggy or smooth?

what was the adapter to retain steering wheel controls? i have a 2014 comfortline i would like to replace the radio and this has peaked my interest.

thanks!

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it has Android Auto. Don't know how to characterize response - seems fine to me, but I am not using much of the features, haven't tried a navigation app yet. Starts instantly when turned on. No steering wheel adapter required, it is plug and play with the original control because it is an OEM VW product.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it has Android Auto. Don't know how to characterize response - seems fine to me, but I am not using much of the features, haven't tried a navigation app yet. Starts instantly when turned on. No steering wheel adapter required, it is plug and play with the original control because it is an OEM VW product.
oh thats awesome to know! do you have any videos of it by any chance?

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
does it have RCA outs?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
Not so far as I recall. I just plugged in the stock connector. Don’t think there are any other connections.