New trailer setup completed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I finished my trailer setup and bought the trailer. I used etrailer.com for the hitch and modulite and the instructions here for wiring it up.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1773638&postcount=1

I wired in a plug for the modiite as well. Now, when not towing, this plug is easily tucked away inside the flap for the tailight panel. Modulite box and trailer plug tail can be stored away. Looks nice and should be no problem towing. The roofline of the trailer is slightly higher than the car, but not by much. I am hoping economy will still be good with this.

I found the trailer on craigslist. Great shape for 8 years old. Great price too!

Here are the pictures:

Last edited:

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
looks good!

does it stick out, with-out the ball or bar in, so as to get you in the shin if not carefull?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The receiver does not stick out beyond the bumper. I think you would have to try hard to get this one in the shin. It does stick out a bit, but still under the bumper and low.

inveSTigator

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 DSG Jetta TDI
Looks great! That is a nice setup.

Maybe if you run with your sunroof open to full tilt, it will shoot the air
over the top of the trailer. ;)

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
I'll be adding a hitch one of these days. I still love my truck too much to part with it just yet.

Trailer looks great, though they coulda made the door a little taller. What do you plan on hauling with it?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Bringing home a new piece of furniture or equipment, taking the mower in, trips (luggage trailer) and other small odd jobs. We go on cruises alot. I have a wife and four daughters. Two cars and a trailer full of clothes and beauty products. My garmet bag and shaving kit in the trunk.

LGV2001

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2010 JSW
Light, nice looking trailer!

Ready to make a haul to Houston for Syn yet?

inveSTigator

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 DSG Jetta TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
I have a wife and four daughters. Two cars and a trailer full of clothes and beauty products.
:eek:
Goodness!!! I don't remember you telling me that!!! If you get a pet, make sure it's a boy!!!!!! :D

syntrix

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI - 03 NB TDI
He'll probably get more than that if he goes easy on the accel.

Good stuff, I have had my hitch here for a bit, but contemplating a new clutch before towing with it.

greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI//2005 Passat GLS TDI
Additional note I looked at JC Whitney and their magazine recommends the same Class I hitch for both my Passat and my 2001 Jetta TDI GLS. I want to put a Hitch on both cars.

Thanks

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I just put on the same hitch and modlite (modlite not done yet). I bought them through etrailer also. I was missing a bolt and the large nut.
Have you thought about cutting the plastic trim(the one removed) to put it back on?

I am picking up a flat 5x8 trailer that tilts. I have a older John Deere garden tractor I want to be able to trailer. Along with the same stuff you listed.

BTW the hiddenhitch isn't so hidden...

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I was missing the spacers for the exhuast standoff. Got some of my own. I have thought of making a cut in the panel and replacing it. May do that soon. It isn'r hidden, but it will work.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Looks great! I debated whether to get an open flat trailer or enclosed like I have. I have been considering a road trip from the Gulf of Mexico to the Artic ocean and back. I thought the enclosed might be more handy if I get around to doing that.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I only seemed to have lost 1 MPG @ 70. Using Scanguage, very hard to tell it was a little more windy coming back. It has steaks on the sides, if i wish to add removeable sides.

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
Trailer hitch

I'm looking to get a hitch for my 03/A4 Jetta & wondered what youall would recommend! Thanks

Jeffreyspahn

TDI
2012 JSW Tdi
Hitch

I feel terrible finding this thread now. I just recycled my hidden hitch that I put on my 06 Jetta three months ago when I bought my 09 and went with a roof rack for my bikes. One of you guys would have probably taken it. :(

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
Jeffreyspahn said:
I feel terrible finding this thread now. I just recycled my hidden hitch that I put on my 06 Jetta three months ago when I bought my 09 and went with a roof rack for my bikes. One of you guys would have probably taken it. :(

YEP!!