_
an easy mod

1. push in on the headlight switch while its in the off position

2. twist to right, while still pushing it in, until it stops

3. pull the switch out

4. remove switch from wiring harness, by pushing in on the side tabs

5. locate the TFL pin
its the top right one, 3rd pin in from the right

6. now you can either do 2 things to the TFL pin - (tape it or bend it down)
by taping it

by bending it

i chose to bend it down: because it was a pain for me to get the tape, just right, on the TFL pin and then back into the harness without it coming off.

7. reinstall switch

8. no more DRL

before

after

i just couldnt stand driving down the road having my lights on during the day. it just doesnt look good to me. nor when i see it on other peoples vehicles
if i want to be safe while driving now, all i have to do is turn the light switch on and i get the same effect

burningmoney97

Veteran Member
TDI
_
i used this link to also help on this idea
http://www.euroswitches.info/

The DRLs on this car were removed because none of the European-spec VWs come with it, and because the xenon headlights were later installed (please see the respective section below for an explantion).

Do not remove relay 173 to disable the DRLs! There is a lot of work involved to remove the relay, and you lose the hand brake warning light in the instrument cluster. The chances of damage to the wiring harness are also greater than if you follow the instructions below. Credit goes whoever came up with this method of disabling the DRLs. This mod can be performed on cars with or without the Euro-spec lighting switch installed, and having the Euro-switch does not automatically cancel out the DRLs.

Remove the switch (see the removal instructions in the section below) and unplug the wiring harness on the back of the switch. Look at the back of the switch, with all the contact pins sticking out, and look for the pin with the label "TFL" below it. TFL stands for "Tages Fahr Lichter" or, literally translated, "day driving lights".

Take a piece of electrical tape and cut it so that the pin can be covered lengthwise. Make sure the tape is wide enough to cover the pin completely, but not so that it is too wide to fit back in the plug. When stuck on, the folded side of the tape should be facing towards you, and the open part towards the switch. Plug the wiring harness back in and reinstall the switch. If the DRLs switch back on at any time, the tape may not have stayed on when reinstalling the switch, or the tape may have worn out.

pgoes

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004.5, Stonehenge gray
Re: How to disable / disconnect DRL - with picture

I think its been posted before- my car has no wire in the TFL position. I taped down pin B to disable DRL when the Euroswitch is off & pin 56D for when it is in the parking light position.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

Do not remove relay 173 to disable the DRLs! There is a lot of work involved to remove the relay, and you lose the hand brake warning light in the instrument cluster.
Not if you only remove the coil out of relay 173. Then it'll still work fine.

And if you want to reverse it, just get a NEW relay 173. Bending the pin means you'll break it if you bend it back.

Relay 173

Close up of the coil

Backside of relay. Just desolder the coil and remove. There are only (4) pins/points for the coil to remove

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S

Can't you just put a piece of tape over the contact in the 173 relay?

-Jason

6D2

TDI
1962 Kombi Grey/Black/Turkis

Can't you just put a piece of tape over the contact in the 173 relay?

-Jason
Yes I had to in my 01 beetle. tape on the pin in the switch didn't work for me... that 173 relay is a pain to get out...

tarbellb

TDI
2000 GLS Black 4dr Golf TDI

I literally did this mod at a stoplight this morning. Yellow->Red light, shift to neutral, twist, pull, unplug, nicely bend, plug, push, twist, shift to first, and go. NO MORE DRL's.

6D2

TDI
1962 Kombi Grey/Black/Turkis

that 173 relay is a pain to get out...
Why?
maybe it was my fat hand or the way I tried to twist myself under the dash... and as for bending the prong, makes it hard to convert back if you ever sell or trade in.. when NorfolkTDI brought my 01 Jetta I had taken the tape off the plug for the DRLs easy fix..

burningmoney97

Veteran Member
TDI
_

I literally did this mod at a stoplight this morning. Yellow->Red light, shift to neutral, twist, pull, unplug, nicely bend, plug, push, twist, shift to first, and go. NO MORE DRL's.
lol - sweet!

ray007

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White

OK - I rarely post to this site, but this time I see something obvious that has not been mentioned. I think there are times the DRL's are nice to have...like driving in Canada, or on cloudy/rainy days, or on Fridays (if you are a Tom Leycas listener)... You don't have to remember to shut the lights off when exiting the car in the daytime. SO, I'm planning to attempt to splice into the wire behind the connector and then run this wire down to a location that looks good somewhere below the steering wheel and connect it through a simple switch of my choice. I may wind up leaving them ON more than OFF, but definitely like the option of turning them OFF on sunny days.

burningmoney97

Veteran Member
TDI
_

why dont you just disconnect the drls and then just turn your lights on everytime you drive your car. that would save on a lot of time and hassel of your attempt?

ray007

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White

I'll admit it remains to be seen whether I stay motivated to actually do this...maybe just the tape for now.

orenero

Veteran Member
TDI
DIESEL

I'll try it again in the morning. Could not get the tape on there without it busting!!!! Anyway does the pin bend back easily without it breaking? If it does break how much is it for another light switch.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Thanks for the pics! Did this in about 2 minutes out in the parking lot. Now I won't have to replace bulbs as often!!

burningmoney97

Veteran Member
TDI
_

Anyway does the pin bend back easily without it breaking?
yes

If it does break how much is it for another light switch.
not sure , but it wouldnt matter to me , cause i never want see those drl again!

TDI96712

TDI
Passat 1997 sedan gray
I got new headlights for a 97 Passat.
they end up beeing euro parts, and have 3 bulbs instead of 2 on the old US headlights. I have DRL, regular headlight and high beam. But the car does not seem to be wired for this. I m not sure how far back i d need to go to get the specific wire for DRL, so i can just use the 5 watt bulb for drl.

orenero

Veteran Member
TDI
DIESEL

Why not do the tape?
takes more time to do / pain for me to get the tape (just right)
+1 on this that thing was a PITA everytime I would put the tape on and shove it in it would the pin would either bust through the tape or slide it off...

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d

Yes, I second the very easy comment. Just did this, took longer to physically bend the pin down than it did to do anything else. Bending the pin took about 10 seconds because I had to look for a suitable tool...

Thanks for the post Money!

richraf

TDI
2003 Golf - Sold IT - sorry to see it go!

Why disable DRL's? I just pulled out in front oncoming traffic this evening at an intersection and didn't realize my "lights" were not on. Essentially, the DRL's faked me out, let me start driving and allowed me to feel safe pulling out into traffic while dark. BAD, BAD, BAD! No comments on my stupidity please. The car behind me almost rear-ended me and was slightly PO'd. My rear lights were obviously completely dark becasue only DRL's were on.

So...I did this mod ASAP this evening, and probably will not look back (no PUN intended). Regarding the tape option, cut the tape a little wide and a little long. Fold it over tip of TRL and squeeze it with some needle nose pliers. The sides of the tape will seal the pin, and it will still fit in the adapter. The long end of the tape secures to the base of the pinout and adds a little more strength to hold it in place while pushing back on.

Thanks money for the PIC's--this was way easy and useful. I should get at least 5 more MPG now, right.

2003GOLF

TDI
2003 Golf GL, Mojave Beige

Go to Radio Shack and buy a pack of assorted shrink tubing. Use the smallest diameter and install it on the pin. Then cut it off at the end of the pin. Use a blow dryer on high heat and shrink the tube on the pin. Works great! You don't have to worry about the tape not sticking when you push the plug back on the switch or bending the pin if you don't like the "mod". Easily reversible.

TheCheat

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta tdi 5m (227k), 04 jetta wagon 5m (293k)
Don't forget--for our NB-owning friends, it's pin "B" on the switch if you have a 98 or a 2002-up. I used my euroswitch from my Jetta, so now both pins are bent.

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
Those are not DRLs, they are 'City Lights'. Used with a EuroSwitch for driving around in european cities at night. Using your headlights was either illegal or frowned upon, I'm not sure which. You need a Euroswitch & some wires from a VW wire repair kit to add a fourth wire to your headlight harnesses. that wire will be hooked up to your parking lights. PM me with your phone # for more info....

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The easiest, though not cheapest is to install the Euro switch. Bought mine off EBay for $9.99.
With it I have the option of DRL without tail lights, No DRL but city lights or parking lights with tail lights, Full head lights and tail lights and all but DRL positions let me use my foglights in addition to the parking or headlights.
If I really were that ambitious Id run an extra wire to the tail lights and be able to turn on the FOG tail lights with the switch.
The Euro switch gives you all in all 7 different positions or choices since it pulls out 2 times. It also has a light that comes on when the fog lights are activated.

But from a safety standpoint it is a proven fact that by using DRL's you are easier seen by other drivers. All highway buses have the lights on day and night for that very reason.

RGC

Veteran Member
TDI
3.0 V6 TDI
Hmmm How does this DRL work and what is it?

I dont see the point to this, on my car the first turn is city lights and the next turn is full does this DRL stop the city lights working?

and if it does why?

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
In America it is different. We have two settings. Lights Off or Lights On. When they are off, the DRLs (daytime running lights) are still on. This is a way of disabling the DRLs so that you have a true "off" position. The other way is to get a Euro switch.