Debating between 2015 CPO TDI's?

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I am considering buying a car for my son who will soon be graduating college and am strongly considering getting him a 2015 TDI VW for a number of reasons having to do with his likely expected 100+ mile per day commuting distance for the foreseeable future (his current car is not likely to last much longer), as well as having access to onroad diesel fuel on the family ranch here in the central southern US.

Right now the debate is between a 2015 Passat TDI and a Golf Sportwagen S TDI, both of which are available at the moment with low miles, and appear in good shape, the Passat is slightly cheaper, has a few more miles on it, and a little rougher shape (paint dings).

It seems the the Golf Sportwagen S is a slightly lower trim level than the Passat, though the Passat was not offered with some of the features one would get with the SEL trim on the Golf, like HID headlights, or collision avoidance, so this seems mostly a wash, only notable feature missing from the Golf is no Nav system, but since everyone has smart phones now I am not sure if this is a big issue.

This is where I need your help, which one of theses two is likely the better car? My son has seen both, and he has no strong preference between them.

thanks for your help

vikingtdi

TDI
'11 JSW
Wagon guy here- what does your son do? Ski/mountain bike/hike/has dogs/etc? Does he need to haul things?Really the question at heart is, is your son a sedan guy or would he appreciate sportwagen life? The trim level is a moot point and matter of preference; I upgraded what I wanted on a non-SEL and am more than content.

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
He does not do much of anything that specifically needs the added hauling capacity, in the past he has always driven small / mid sized import sedans, (Camry, Sentra, etc.) though again has no strong preference on the form factor. I know this is not a lot of help, and that is part of why I asked this question here in the first place. It seems the Golf is a little more modern in features, at least on the upper trim levels, but again this is somewhat moot on the S trim. HID headlights would be nice, does anyone know how hard they are to retrofit to either the Passat or Golf Sportwagen, that is doing it right not some of these cheap import HID's with poor beam pattern. I would assume the Golf is easier since it was a factory option

vikingtdi

TDI
'11 JSW
I replaced the factory halogens with Ed’s replica (golf R version) and install was moderately easy. The bumper had to come off but it wasn’t hard. Big upgrade though for ~$600 ish

If hauling isn’t a factory, condition and maintenance is worth noting. Most of the TDIs are quiet good. Some GSWs with the panoramic sunroofs have leaked. There are routine maintenance that need to be completed especially fuel filters and DSG transmission. Make sure those are done.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would go with the one in better condition and least miles and no sunroof. The 2015 Golf SW it sounds like. Room for people and to haul if needed. Nav should be avoided really in these cars as it really sucks for the most part. The units aren't very good. Get a powered phone cradle and BT to the car for streaming music and phone and nav functions on the phone. All sunroofs are a pain at some point and usually sooner rather than later.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Sounds like it comes down to personal preference or whichever one suits his lifestyle better or is available when you choose to pick one up. I have a bug and passat, gen 1 and 2, very different cars... love my passat :) the ride is better to me than the jettas/wagens/golfs.

Isaac-1

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
We ended up buying the 2015 Golf sportwagen s it is in very good shape with only 18200 miles and 2 year cpo warranty it was too good of deal at $16000 to pass up.