Purchase 2006 Jetta or wait for 2008 Jetta?

58henjef

TDI
None - But looking at one
I wanted to get some expert opinions on the 2006 vs. 2008 Jetta Diesel. I would like to get a Diesel Jetta for my work vehicle to save money at the pump, but I am struggling with the 06 vs. 08, should I wait until the 08 is here or go with the 06. I have read the information available online about the changes to the 08 that result in greater efficiency, emissions, and power.

Are the advances in technology for the 08 model substantial enough to wait for that model? I am currently driving a 04 Z71 Chevy that gets about 16mpg for my work vehicle, so if I wait until early 08 I am looking at spending about 1.5K more in fuel over the next 6 months until the 08 is here versus if I went out and picked up an 06 now and started driving that.

Thoughts?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Check over some of the other threads. This was just asked about not long ago again. I would buy now. You never know what will happen in the future. If you can find what you want now, buy it. if not wait.

Philcsag16

TDI
JETTA
I was in a similar situation, using a F 250 PSD 4 x 4 as a daily driver.
I thought about the 2008 but the # 1 reason I purchased an 06 was I want them to get all the bugs out of the new "engine control" first.
I hate driving a R&D vehicle for any auto manufacture at my expense.
2006 TDI are getting scarce, I had a difficult time finding a PKG zero with a DSG ( I did not want a sun roof)

02VFR

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 SportWagon
I am waiting for the 08. I am going to the dealer in October and putting a order in for a Sportwagon TDI. I drive a 99 Grand Prix GTP right now I am getting about 22-24 MPG so it's not to bad. The car has 120,000 miles on it.
I figure with the extra time I have a will save some more and put down between 10,000 and 15,000 so I will have a small car loan. I am getting the Sportwagon loaded, package 2 with the navigation system so I figure to spend around 30,000 to 34,000 on the car....

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Philcsag16 said:
I was in a similar situation, using a F 250 PSD 4 x 4 as a daily driver. I thought about the 2008 but the # 1 reason I purchased an 06 was I want them to get all the bugs out of the new "engine control" first. I hate driving a R&D vehicle for any auto manufacture at my expense.
Holy Smokes, Another happy 6.0 psd owner:eek: :mad: ;) I know whereof you speak. My fuel savings are paying for the TDI. a no brainer in my sitaution. Bob

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
58henjef said:
Thoughts?
Wait. All the tdi community including VW R&D and tuners need guinnea pigs of the CRD technology :D.

But seriously, I have no idea. The only reason I would wait right now is the 6-speed tranny and wagon option. On the other hand 2008 Jettas might end up even more decontented (if it is at all possible).

andmoon

If you wait you will have more selection as it looks like many other companies are going to bring in their diesels.

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
58henjef said:
I wanted to get some expert opinions on the 2006 vs. 2008 Jetta Diesel. I would like to get a Diesel Jetta for my work vehicle to save money at the pump, but I am struggling with the 06 vs. 08, should I wait until the 08 is here or go with the 06. I have read the information available online about the changes to the 08 that result in greater efficiency, emissions, and power.

Are the advances in technology for the 08 model substantial enough to wait for that model? I am currently driving a 04 Z71 Chevy that gets about 16mpg for my work vehicle, so if I wait until early 08 I am looking at spending about 1.5K more in fuel over the next 6 months until the 08 is here versus if I went out and picked up an 06 now and started driving that.

Thoughts?
Expert opinion?
How would a expert know if the 08 model is not even out yet?
Sorry. Could not help myself. Flame away.

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
But, in all truthfulness, it is a hard one.
I like others faced that decision as well.
The thoughts that entered my mind at the time were:
1. It will probably cost more than a 06 (con)
2. It probably wont look all that much different if at all from a 06 (con)
3. IT WILL cost more money than a 06 (con)
4. There are still a lot of 06 models that need to be bought up (pro)
5. Will a 08 be available in a Special Edition like the one I have? (who knows)
6. I like yourself drove a full size GMC 60 miles round trip to work and back. The truck I was spending about $120 a week plus in fuel.
7. Can you afford a new car payment for a 06 let alone a 08? Course you could find a used 06 with miles, but people want more for those cars then if you could just find a new 06 still on a lot.
8. I had a fear of GAS prices climbing at the time. (you never know when gas prices will increase) (pro)
9. IF you wait for a 08, would you regret it and wish you would have settled for a 06?
10. If you want to buy an 08 for the sake of it being "new"
then there will always be a "newer" model out the next year. IE, it will not stay "new" forever. (con)
Those are just a few of the questions I had at the same time.
Bottom line. I have NO regrets not waiting for a 08.
I am COMPLETELY and utterly sold on my 06.
I have had it less than 2k miles and in my opinion, love it as much as any other car I have ever owned. I LOVE IT.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I love my '06, especially now that it is tuned. The BRM engine is very responsive to tuning. 140+ horsepower and 240 lb.ft of torque is very achievable with just a tune.:D

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
58henjef said:
Thanks for the input. I am going to check out the 06s at the local dealership. They had about 7 in stock last Sunday.
Wow :eek:, enjoy the selection.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
SuperJ said:
I love my '06, especially now that it is tuned. The BRM engine is very responsive to tuning. 140+ horsepower and 240 lb.ft of torque is very achievable with just a tune.:D
how did u tune it, a rocketchip or something else?

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My tune is from TechNine quite a few of us from Ontario are using Tech9 with good results. I'm very happy with my tune. Here is a dyno from another forum members car that should reflect what mine is doing. I think Alligator or Rocketchip would give similar results.
Note that the torque is tuned to a reduce value at lower rpms to save the clutch and drivetrain, but the horsepower keeps going at 4500 rpm it's a huge gain over stock. I had my car tuned over the OBDII port.

Eric Cartman

Veteran Member
TDI
58henjef said:
Thanks for the input. I am going to check out the 06s at the local dealership. They had about 7 in stock last Sunday.
You will absoloutly love that car.
I have refered 3 other people over to VW and they have all bought new 06 models.
Let us know if you need to track down a new 06 model, be glad to help.
I am in texas, and I bought mine at Hiley Mazda VW over in Arlington.
Last time we checked they had a few left from about 38 or so. :D
There is a thread on that topic as well floating around a couple of places in here.
Once they are gone, they will be gone..

Philcsag16

TDI
JETTA
Bob S. said:
Holy Smokes, Another happy 6.0 psd owner:eek: :mad: ;) I know whereof you speak. My fuel savings are paying for the TDI. a no brainer in my sitaution. Bob
My F 250 is a bit older a 2000 and I have the old 7.3 PSD, which runs great tows excellent but 18 MPG in combined city/suburban driving does not cut it when you are doing 500 miles a week, and fuel is around $3 @ gal here. Plus wee needed another daily driver, since my employer no longer supply me with a vehicle.

The Jetta has cut my fuel cost by more the 60% and is a blast to drive!

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Well, I bought mine less than 2 months ago and so far I love it.
Regarding a 2008... there is a lot of speculation, claims being higher mileage on the 2008, but they obviously have to meet tighter emissions. Other than the tech change, usually tighter emmissions mean lower power less mileage. I like the hype, and it would be cool to get a higher mileage vehicle, but all the years experience I have in the auto industry is the concept or pre-production hype isn't always what you get.

I got rid of an older SUV, 11 years old, it was a mid-sized, but it liked the gas a little too much, mostly in the stop and go traffic. I got rid of mine as it was time, and it wouldn't pass another emissions test, and I wasn't willing to shell out another 500-700 to fix it.

Enjoy this years if you can, try to haggle, shop around, do the internet thing, you can enjoy the 2006.5 for a while until the 2008 bugs get worked out.
JDS

dizzyswimmer

TDI
06 Jetta
Lightflyer1 said:
Check over some of the other threads. This was just asked about not long ago again. I would buy now. You never know what will happen in the future. If you can find what you want now, buy it. if not wait.
Thant's my thinking as well.

donskrin

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, pkg 2, 5 speed
For what it is worth, I was wrestling with the same question and last week I picked up my 06 Jetta pkg 2 with 5 speed and 18k miles and I love the car! It is a hoot to drive and I am getting about 50 mpg (by the trip computer) on the hwy and about 40 mpg (by the computer) around town. Even if the computer is 4-5 mpg high I am happy! Buy now and you won't regret it, at least I don't!

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Don; Welcome to the site. You certainly will not be disappointed in the pkg 2 car. As others have said, I think we may never again see a Jetta the nicely contented. Bob