04 Passat GLS TDI, geared BSM, 5spd manual swap, Bozeman MT $2500 OBO

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
04 Passat GLS TDI with geared BSM, 5spd manual swap, upgrades, Bozeman MT $2000 OBO

Edit: as of this date (11/2/2019) I have decided to hang onto this car for now while I decide what to do with it. I have not ruled out the idea of selling it to someone who would like to fix it and keep it whole and on the road. Feel free to contact me if you are interested on those terms. Otherwise I will update this thread if the car becomes available again. Thanks.

2004 Passat GLS TDI sedan for sale. Has many improvements and a few needs, nice shape all around, good mild upgrades and work done to address common problem areas.

300k miles, 2.0L BHW engine with geared balance shaft module conversion completed. Manual trans swap done with Euro GGB 5-speed and strengthened 228mm clutch with SMF. Has a more aggressive engagement feel than stock but not objectionable and the pedal is light. Kerma tune, timing belt done 25k ago, tandem pump and motor mounts new at the same time, stock replacement VNT-17 turbo around 20k ago, brakes and suspension all fairly recent and in great shape. Runs excellent, lots of power, smooth and quiet, MPG averages mid-40s. Steers, rides, and handles well, serene on the highway. Stock 15" alloy rims with good Michelin X-Ice tires.

Black exterior and interior, both well cared for and clean overall with normal cosmetic wear and tear in a couple of places, generally sharp inside and out. Recent windshield, good glass and lights all around. Heated seats, power glass sunroof, power windows/locks/mirrors, premium stereo, ESP. Cold A/C, everything works well. Nice paint and no rust, the car has lived on the west coast and here in the Rockies, clean and dry underneath.

Add-ons are Monster Mats, 1 1/4" hitch receiver with 4-way trailer connector, FrostHeater. I have a DieselGeek aluminum belly plate for it that I will include with it too at asking price.

3rd gear synchro in the GGB trans is failing and it grinds when shifting up or down into 3rd. All other gears still work fine. Frans has affordable offerings to replace this trans with another Euro TDI unit available for not much money. I also have a gas V6 DVZ trans that will go with the car and can be used as a source of parts to fix the current GGB, or swap 5th gear from the GGB into the DVZ to yield a top gear ratio similar to the EEN/DUK TDI transmissions. Various options for how to solve the problem, so the next owner will get to decide.

Best for someone who wants give the transmission a little attention and then continue to enjoy the car. The payoff will be a great driving and great looking B5 TDI with all the hard work already done to take care of the usual needs.

Photos below, will add more when time and conditions permit. Located in Bozeman MT. Drives fine for now at any speed as long as you're careful with 3rd gear, but no guarantees as to how many more miles this trans could go without some help, so weigh your options carefully if you are far away. Happy to help any way I can. Let me know any questions. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
What an incredible specimen!

Do you have any under-body shots for rocker conditions, or suspension rust?

I'm sorry, my knowledge of the B5 platform isn't great.
Could you provide some links explaining the different transmission codes and maybe a explanation to the significance of GGB over GUK etc, because I can't discern what the rebuild cost would be.

Does the BHW have the same weak cam as the BEW and BRM?

Thank you for your help,
Bruce

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
What an incredible specimen!

Do you have any under-body shots for rocker conditions, or suspension rust?

I'm sorry, my knowledge of the B5 platform isn't great.
Could you provide some links explaining the different transmission codes and maybe a explanation to the significance of GGB over GUK etc, because I can't discern what the rebuild cost would be.

Does the BHW have the same weak cam as the BEW and BRM?

Thank you for your help,
Bruce
Thanks, yes, it's a nice one.

Can take some shots in the wheelwells and underneath later this week but no rust, all clean. If you are used to cars from the upper midwest it'll look like a new car to you underneath. ;)

GGB, FHN, DUK, EEN and a few others are Euro market TDI gearboxes with ratios suitable for a diesel, FHN and GGB (identical ratios) are the tallest available, DUK and EEN are slightly shorter but still have tall final drive ratios for low RPM at highway speeds. DVZ is the US market gas 2.8 V6 transmission from a FWD V6 Passat or A4. I would probably choose the DUK or EEN the next time for this car, trade a few extra RPM on the highway for better flexibility at moderate speeds, but some folks prefer the longer ratios. Here are a few links that show ratios for all the 012 gearbox codes,

https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/...cters_aggregate_assignment_ratios_capacities/

https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a...it_assignment_transmission_ratios_capacities/

Rebuild costs were reasonable for these transmissions last time I checked but given that good used TDI transmissions from Europe are so cheap, I would probably just use one of those...

BHW does have the same potential for cam and lifter wear as the other PD engines but with good 5W40 oil and updated black lifters it is minimized, often more than enough to last the life of the car... This engine shouldn't need any attention there for a long time. :cool:

Last edited:

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Last call. Asking price down to $2000 OBO. If nobody here wants it as it is, then I'm going to take it apart to put the engine in my Audi.

It'll be sad to see this nice car get pulled apart, as it's really worth fixing, which is why I have hesitated to do it so far. If anyone wants to keep it on the road and use it, I'll take offers.

If not, there will be Passat parts available soon (manual conversion pieces, DG Panzer skidplate, hitch receiver, etc) that I will not need.

jpg_jetta

TDI
2001 MK4 Jetta
I am so jealous. I would jump on this in a minute it if was closer to me. Any chance to have the transmission fixed then purchase? I just don't have a way to transport it here or do that work myself.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Just curious but does double clutching into 3rd make any difference? Is gear oil level proper weight and w/in specs? Have you tried any transmission oil additives?

Nice example of an increasingly rare bird with improvements. .

Smarten101

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
If it was a wagon I'd come right over and pick it up! The sedan just doesn't have room for my kiddos and my dogs :-(
If you do end up using the engine for something else, I might be interested in buying the rest of your car though...

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Looking like I will probably end up keeping this for now, not sure what direction I will end up going with it, but I have talked myself into the idea that it'd be best to keep options open by hanging onto it for a few more months until I decide for sure next spring whether to sell as-is/fix/use as an engine donor. I will edit the first post to reflect this. If it's a perfect car for someone and would go to a good home, I would still be willing to sell it, but otherwise I'm likely going to wait.

@ jpg_jetta, used replacement Euro TDI transmissions are cheap (barely over $400 including shipping the last time I checked). If I end up selling this I would be happy get the car to a repair shop for a buyer who wanted to have a transmission shipped here and professionally installed, but it will not pencil for either of us to have me fix before selling, as my motivation for selling this project (if I do so) is to free up time for other projects. I doubt it would pencil for you to pay shop labor to have a trans installed either. But it could be done in theory. :)

@ ApriliaNut, thanks for the compliments, yes it's easy to get it into 3rd gear by double clutching. But I want to make it clear to any potential owner that the synchro for 3rd in this transmission is *broken*, not worn. The failure occurred suddenly, not a slow progression. Trans oil is full and clean, this is not a lubrication problem unfortunately. I would expect additives or different fluid to make no difference, there is no question that the trans needs internal repair or replacement. Again, replacement units are cheap and these transmissions are usually durable so that seems like the simplest route. If I were to do it for my own usage I would consider changing to a DMF and less aggressive clutch also, but that's a matter of preference and the current clutch is perfectly livable.

@ Smarten101, thanks, I have an Audi Allroad 6-speed that I'm trying to gather parts to put a TDI into, but that's probably some ways off especially since I just picked up another TDI project that I'm hoping to have on the road before next summer. If I use the Passat's engine for the Audi when that time comes, then the rest of the car will be available including everything for a 5 speed swap into a wagon, will let you know if and when that happens. I'm conflicted about taking apart this nice Passat sedan to use as an engine donor still, so although I have not ruled out doing that, I am guessing it will end up being my first choice to try to find a different engine donor and pass this car along to someone who will keep it whole.

@ bigD_48, replied to your PM.

Thanks.

Smarten101

TDI
2005 Passat wagon
Ah... The 6 speed Allroad TDI. What I would love to eventually turn my Passat wagon into. When you get that swap done you'll have to let me know what you think (and maybe let me come drive it :).
It would be nice to have someone nearby who has done the swap before.

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Ah... The 6 speed Allroad TDI. What I would love to eventually turn my Passat wagon into. When you get that swap done you'll have to let me know what you think (and maybe let me come drive it :).
It would be nice to have someone nearby who has done the swap before.
Definitely, will be fun to show it off, have to make it a reality first :D.

We will have to get a gathering of MT TDI owners together to meet up some time. There are a good number of us here around Bozeman and Billings and been in touch with others in the western part of the state.