Battery change on TDI

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
I did not find a HOW TO for changing the battery on a VW Jetta.
The question is how to keep from losing power to the cpu and radio etc when changing the battery.
If done during the day will the solar charger that came with the car provide enough power to keep from having to reprogram the car ?
Another idea was to put jumper wires on the cables to keep power to the car while swaping battery.
What works or is needed? I still have the solar charger that came with the car.

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
keeping ecu and radio power...

Radio Shack and similar stores sell a small inexpensive set-up that plugs into your cigarette lighter. It contains a 9v battery with enough juice to let you make the switch.

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
Perhaps I am wrong but I thought there are several issues if the battery is removed and there is no power. The radio just needs the code but I think there are issues with the door locks, windows and who knows what else.

Pepboys and other places told me they cannot change VW batterys or they would do it for $45 but in the end they recommened you go to the VW dealer.

I started looking into this because of another post about batteries and the 90 amp hours required for the TDI.

My OEM battery is 1JO915105AG and made in Mexico. The VW dealer wants $125 in the US so I am calling VW in Mexico to see what it cost here. I found the Interstate MTP-H7 for $124 and the ACDELCO 94R6YR for $130

My battery is 5 years old and looks wet like it was starting to gas up and leak. It looked low on acid so I added distilled H2O tonight. but I want to just be ready if it goes out on me.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Get the cheap tool mentioned above from radio shack or the next tool truck you see and stay with the OE battery. It's lasted 5 years and has the lowest price of any of the correct batteries. Or you can take the advice of the pros at Pep Boyz and go to the dealer.

4XTaco

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Touareg
Not sure how true the issues are you are mentioning... I just had to change batteries and it was more out of necessity. It wouldn't hold a charge. I didn't notice any problems after the swap.

I second the OE battery... I called every place I could think of in the area and VW was actually the cheapest and you know it will fit the car.

Battery is really easy to change... flip the battery cover up and secure out of the way. Lossen the battery terminals and remove... and remove the bolt in the battery tie down bracket in the front of the battery- helps to remove the cover for the head light bulb for more clearance.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Unless you have a New Beetle <sigh>

Then, you need to take the fluid container just to the right of the battery completely loose first. As well as the holddown bolt..

jobob307

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta, 2002 jolf
Get the tool from Radio Shack, go to Napa They have an exact replacement that must come from the same factory as the oem battery.

I think their part number is 9575R

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
02 NB: My battery was replaced a few months ago, as part of other work. It was out for about three hours. The radio remembered all its stations when everything was hooked back up.

When the TB was replaced, the battery was out for a longer time, and the radio needed the reset code.

No idea what the difference might have been in the two procedures. I suspect absolute time out of juice was not the issue. But I don't know what else it could have been. Both times the NB was worked on by gurus, although two different gurus.

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
Just called VW Tijuana

OEM battery is 857 pesos so about $87 out the door for OEM battery

10.5 to 10.8:1 exchange pesos

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
MRIBOB said:
Just called VW Tijuana

OEM battery is 857 pesos so about $87 out the door for OEM battery

10.5 to 10.8:1 exchange pesos
That's a deal! Glad to see the exchange rate is still holding pretty good. My wife and kids will be down Cozumel way in a couple of weeks. At least in your climate you don't have any cold starting issues. It was -23F here this morning-colder to the north.
Don't try the jumper method in my opinion. I tried that when I had to remove the battery for warranty replacement (not an OEM so that's another reason to buy the VW) and somehow, yes I was careful, it fried the 2 din radio headunit I had put in. No fuses blown, nothing else cooked, odd. I have changed a few things with VagCom, like door locking/unlocking, etc. and none of that was affected by removing the battery w/o trying to keep power "on".

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
MRIBOB said:
I did not find a HOW TO for changing the battery on a VW Jetta.
The question is how to keep from losing power to the cpu and radio etc when changing the battery.
If done during the day will the solar charger that came with the car provide enough power to keep from having to reprogram the car ?
Another idea was to put jumper wires on the cables to keep power to the car while swaping battery.
What works or is needed? I still have the solar charger that came with the car.

You didn't specify which VW you had, model or year, but the only thing you MIGHT have to reprogram would be the radio anti-theft code. I have replaced the battery in my 2001 Jetta just by popping the old one out and dropping the new one in, but the secret for the 80s Pontiac my daughter had (which did require a whole new program for the ECU) was to use a set of jumper cables, hook the new battery to the clamps while you were between batteries.

I think it was with the 2001 MY that VW got smart and put the radio anti-theft code in the ECU, so after than, no reprogramming needed. Well, except for the station pre-sets.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Beware of the dealer installing the wrong battery. Call them back saying you have the same car, but with a 2.0. also, verify they use VW batteries.

mk1cabrio

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
All you need is a battery charger. Get the battery completley ready for removal and put a charger on the cables. I set mine to 2A slow charge. Worked fine for me, only was on there like 1-2 minutes.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
The charger will send pulsating DC into the car. A cheap charger will do even more harm. You would be better off not using anything and just swapping the battery. I've had mine off for a while when cleaning the grounds and running wires. No harm done.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I'm not sure if the 2003 would be different from a 2000 , but I had my battery out for 2 days while doing my clutch with out any kind of charge on the system , and no problem . I puchased the radio removal tools just in case , because I don't have the radio code.

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
Thanks for info. For some reason I was thniking it was a big problem.
I went to VW in Mexico and the battery price they gave me was wrong. The TDI is 1200 peso so $120 bucks so no savings at all.

But whoo whoo hoo! if I only had my camera today.

The have a 2 ton looking truck with a huge TDI today.
I will try to go back and get photos Friday or Sat.
It was a huge truck cab with dual wheels and no bed.
Plus they have the TDI pickups on the lot.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
terrydtdi said:
I'm not sure if the 2003 would be different from a 2000 , but I had my battery out for 2 days while doing my clutch with out any kind of charge on the system , and no problem .
__. Yeah, I recently changed my battery ('03 Jetta wagon TDI). Removed battery cables, loosened hold-down bolt, pulled out old battery, put new battery in, re-installed hold-down, re-installed cables. All was fine except I had to roll the windows down a couple of times manually before the "one-touch" would work. No radio issues at all.

(Actually, I was careful to remove the ground cable first, tie it away so that it could not touch the vehicle body or the hot cable; then I removed the hot cable and wrapped it in a shoprag and tied it away so that it couldn't touch anything. Then when the new battery was in, I reversed the procedure. I'm not sure that all this is necessary but it seemed worthwhile at the time. Whatever, there were no signs of distress -- obvious or otherwise -- in my electrics when the job was completed.)

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
mrGutWrench said:
__. Yeah, I recently changed my battery ('03 Jetta wagon TDI). Removed battery cables, loosened hold-down bolt, pulled out old battery, put new battery in, re-installed hold-down, re-installed cables. All was fine except I had to roll the windows down a couple of times manually before the "one-touch" would work.
Did the same myself today with my '03. First winter ever with cold start problems. Old battery was tested after removed and determined to be "good with low charge" - apparently not holding a charge. (alternator was checked too to validate that it was fine). Also ran the windows up and down to relearn the auto function - no problem:)

Last edited:

skinny

TDI
'00 GOLF TDI
My car was out of commission for a while, stuck in the garage. Battery was completely gone, and now, after a new battery, it's back on the road.

The problem - OEM radio is not working, but it doesn't say "lock" or "code" or anything like that. I can turn it on and off but that's it. It's stuck on FM 88.3 and none of the controls work.

Not sure I have my radio code, I'll have to dig....what are my options, whther or not I can find my radio code?

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
skinny said:
My car was out of commission for a while, stuck in the garage. Battery was completely gone, and now, after a new battery, it's back on the road.

The problem - OEM radio is not working, but it doesn't say "lock" or "code" or anything like that. I can turn it on and off but that's it. It's stuck on FM 88.3 and none of the controls work.

Not sure I have my radio code, I'll have to dig....what are my options, whther or not I can find my radio code?
Pull the radio fuse for about 5 min and put it back in.

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon TDI
need bolts for battery terminal tie down 2002 Golf TDI

4XTaco said:
Not sure how true the issues are you are mentioning... I just had to change batteries and it was more out of necessity. It wouldn't hold a charge. I didn't notice any problems after the swap.

I second the OE battery... I called every place I could think of in the area and VW was actually the cheapest and you know it will fit the car.

Battery is really easy to change... flip the battery cover up and secure out of the way. Lossen the battery terminals and remove... and remove the bolt in the battery tie down bracket in the front of the battery- helps to remove the cover for the head light bulb for more clearance.
Does anyone know where to buy just the bolts for the battery tie downs? I snapped one in half and don't really want to buy the entire negative battery cable from the dealer to fix the problem. I was trying to tighten the terminals because my lights keep flickering and my radio keeps locking out.

Any suggestions.

Thanks all,
Mike

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
02SilverGolfTDI said:
Does anyone know where to buy just the bolts for the battery tie downs? I snapped one in half and don't really want to buy the entire negative battery cable from the dealer to fix the problem.
Mike
Some auto parts stores sell misc bolts and screws.
It should not be any problem to get a metric machine scew.