Injector upgrades

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey all, I'm looking for some input on what injectors I should use in my ALH. I currently have two tdi's that are both daily drivers and are also both auto to stick conversions with upgraded clutches. So they both have the 11mm pumps on them. One car I have pp520s in them and love the power. The other has 706 nozzles and it's a bit of a turd. I do not intend to do a tune on either car, at least not immediately. I'm finding ton of info that the 520s are OK to use on the 10mm pumps, but is it safe to use on the 11s with doing an IQ adjustment only? I'm looking for a power increase but don't know if I should worry about EGTs. Any input would be appreciated!

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
FWIW, I have DLC520s on my auto-equipped ALH, and only a an IQ tweak to keep the smoke down. Seems to run fine, but I don't know different the pp520 is from my DLC520.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The DLC520s are diamond coated so it has a better hp/torque than the pp520s. How long have you had them in there? No over boost issues?

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
The DLC520 will be similar to your PP520s. If you like those and have been able to make adjustments to lower smoke I would go for it. I have DLC520s on a 10mm and on the stock tune it behaved just fine. I however do have a tune and it is great with or without the tune on the 10mm. If you are handy with a computer you can get a mpps cable for about $40 and you can do a basic tune. This will allow you to get rid of the smoke by adjusting pump voltage just like a pro tune. You can get carried away or just do basic adjustments.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered the DLC520s from Kerma. Hope they show up soon! As for that mpps cable, I was looking round for them but all I'm seeing is knockoff cables all over eBay and Amazon. Is there a place you would suggest to get one? I'm not afraid of tuning, and if I mess an ECU up beyond repair I have a spare one.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the chrome cable clear plug one with the pandabear CD works for me

why 520s? they're tiny wish I'd done reasonable nozzles first, the pp764s I started with were small enough they siezed my first 12mm pump head

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
This is the one I bought https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NXWK19M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't know if it'd be better to get a v16 cable vs the 13.02 but I do know that the 13.02 cables work. Did have to jump through some hoops to get it working properly on my laptop. Couple different drivers, compatibility mode+ admin ect. Nothing bad but it not just plug and play.
Same here I bought the v16 version one from the same seller for $40 and it has worked fine. If you use an older os like windows7 or xp it works without much messing around at all. Just have to assign the driver to it in device manager if I remember right.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the chrome cable clear plug one with the pandabear CD works for me

why 520s? they're tiny wish I'd done reasonable nozzles first, the pp764s I started with were small enough they siezed my first 12mm pump head
I'm not looking to get insane torque out of it, just something better than what I have. So far I like the pp720s that I installed used, so I think I'll just do minor tweaking with the cable to help with fuel economy. I drive 20 miles one way to work, but it's stop and go traffic for half of it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have one of those ebay type cables and there was a little bit of fiddling to make it work but it works fine on both .bin files and WinOls files too.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
The DLC520s are diamond coated so it has a better hp/torque than the pp520s. How long have you had them in there? No over boost issues?
About a year now, and no overboost - the turbo was replaced shortly before these nozzles went in (was shot at 330K miles), so as far as I know, no overboost.

I went with the lowest "stage" on them because I'm not currently tuned (just the stock 11mm pump and an automatic).