Computerized Timing Adjustment...

AV8RLEO

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI
Sorry, didn't have time to search the forums right now. Will probly try from home computer later...

At any rate... my uncles auto shop happens to have a Snap On Solus Pro scan tool. We have the VW connectors and "personality key." I was able to get into everything and look around and even got to the VAG section for timing adjustment but cannot seem to make any changes...

Has anyone else had these same issues and is it because I don't have the "official VAG-COM" software?

I'll try to get a screen shot of what I see and see if y'all have any suggestions...

Thanks!

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
^^ x2. With that engine, the VCDS is used to look at the dynamic timing, to see where it is, not to alter it. The alteration is made by loosening the 3 bolts that hold the injection pump sprocket to the hub. Essentially the sprocket (and all the rest of the engine) remains still while you put a wrench on the big bolt (nut?) on the center hub and turn it (and the 3 bolts rotate along with it because they thread into the hub). Then tighten the 3 bolts. Viewed as I described it there, rotating the hub clockwise advances the injection timing. (That is, if you have a wrench on the center bolt / nut of the hub, wrench sticking up out of the engine bay, pull the wrench forward to advance the timing.) One note: That is a super sensitive adjustment. Rotating the hub JUST A HAIR makes a big change on the VCDS graph.