Double DIN radio in a mk3 dash ??

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
I'm starting to explore the possibility of what it would take to modify the dash in a mk3 TDI to install a cheap Double DIN radio (android 8.1 7inch touchscreen 4GB RAM 32GB storage, GPS, 4G LTE, digital radio, digital TV).

* Has anyone installed a Double DIN "2DIN" radio in a mk3 dash??
* What did you cut out / remove / relocate?
* Share your before/during/after pics and videos of your modification!!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
*yes, plenty of us
*cut out top vents and plug off and remove some of the duct behind them, some plastic welding and bondo and paint.

Do a search here and on VWVORTEX. plenty of pictures and there should be a DIY somewhere.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
*cut out top vents and plug off and remove some of the duct behind them, some plastic welding and bondo and paint.
Would this be a good time to fix blend door issues, since my heat is blowing rather lukewarm tepid warm, about a 2 out of 10 in warmth, in other words, is the heat system (blower + heater core + ducts) going to become all sealed away and much more difficult to get to and fix AFTER doing this Double DIN android head unit mod??

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
no, you can do all the work for a 2xdin with out removing the dash, you must remove the dash to do the core. its a big job, not hard, just a lot of work. Check out some of the others who turned that unless space next to the cup holders into a 2xdin area with a tiny bit of work and there is a gauge pod that can replace the single up top.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mongler98. I found many 2DIN mk3 threads on vwvortex, but all the pics are expired photobucket error messages "remote image hosting disabled"... so annoying!! How on earth are we supposed to see how they did it. I hate photobucket.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
message the user and ask for pictures. Honestly, you can do it, just practice some plastic welding and bondo work, the rest is kinda, make it fit and delete the top 2 vents, im sure you can find a few pictures of the finished results. But those were done back before single din pop up ones, id just get a single that has the touch screen pop out and be done with it.