OEM, Exide, or Interstate for new battery?

treeline

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
I know there was a huge battery thread already and I read a lot of it but was wondering if I could get an answer for my more specific situation.

I need to get a new battery for my 98 Jetta TDi. (And I'm a relative newbie). Will be in thick of Maine winter over the next several months. Everyone tells me I need to get a good one, and I've tried to follow most of the battery thread (though find much of the jargon confusing). Is the only place I can get an OEM battery at a dealership? The VW mechanic where I get work done on my car is the main guy who works with VWs in the area and is associated with VW but is not a dealer.. but he carries Exide batteries. His price was rated at $130 for the battery for my car (seems high?) From some of the battery discussion it sounds like OEM batteries are cheaper but I don't know where I can actually get one and if they have an actual brand-name, or just come right from a dealer somewhere.

The other battery recommended to me was Interstate, and one mechanic said he'd recommend Interstate over an Exide. I'm inclined to trust my VW mechanic (who sells an Exide) - they've done a lot of good work on my car. But I'm all about second opinions!

Would love to hear feedback - thanks!

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
If I were you I won't get the VW OE batt. from the stealership. Get an OEM one, Excide, Interstate or Energizer. Cheaper to buy and you get plenty of cranking juice.

I got mine from Sams, an Enegizer E48 875 CA, 700 CCA for $65 - $10 core = $55. That's $0.06/CA and $0.08/CCA.

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
look for an interstate shop, they sell factory seconds (Blemished) and refurbed batteries for a good price. They had an oem battery for my 97 that was a year old, for $35. Would have been $23 if I had a core.

This sucker's big. (there is an a3/b4 battery thread, that states for our case, the specific oem battery is a good choice because of it's size). Ask them to match this battery.

1JO 000-915-105-AG

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
kooyajerms said:
look for an interstate shop, they sell factory seconds (Blemished) and refurbed batteries for a good price. They had an oem battery for my 97 that was a year old, for $35. Would have been $23 if I had a core.

This sucker's big. (there is an a3/b4 battery thread, that states for our case, the specific oem battery is a good choice because of it's size). Ask them to match this battery.

1JO 000-915-105-AG
The above battery is the VW OE Genuine Part

The OEM equivalent of the VW OE PN 1JO 000 915 105 G battery
is i.e. Energizer 108-94R or Exide 94R

A

Rev. A: Picture added

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
walmart 94R $ 75

Don't be fooled by stickers , the same two factories make most of the batteries in the USA

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not so sure about that. Check the label on the VW OE battery, see if there's the word like Distributed by Johnson Controls Inc. etc. If it doesn't then it wasn't made by JCI but by somebody else.

Size for size OEM SAE std. battery is always more powerful than OE DIN/EN std. battery, 956 CA 765 CCA vs 80Ah 640 A

Butcher6ix

TDI
Imported type
I know there was a huge battery thread already and I read a lot of it but was wondering if I could get an answer for my more specific situation.

I need to get a new battery for my 98 Jetta TDi. (And I'm a relative newbie). Will be in thick of Maine winter over the next several months. Everyone tells me I need to get a good one, and I've tried to follow most of the battery thread (though find much of the jargon confusing). Is the only place I can get an OEM battery at a dealership? The VW mechanic where I get work done on my car is the main guy who works with VWs in the area and is associated with VW but is not a dealer.. but he carries Exide batteries. His price was rated at $130 for the battery for my car (seems high?) From some of the battery discussion it sounds like OEM batteries are cheaper but I don't know where I can actually get one and if they have an actual brand-name, or just come right from a dealer somewhere.

The other battery recommended to me was Interstate, and one mechanic said he'd recommend Interstate over an Exide. I'm inclined to trust my VW mechanic (who sells an Exide) - they've done a lot of good work on my car. But I'm all about second opinions!

Would love to hear feedback - thanks!
Splitting hairs when it comes to Interstate vs. Exide. Brand loyalty is significant when compiling user feedback and rating products. In this case, Interstate holds an edge I would dare say.

As for battery purchases and brand consideration… it is important to understand deep cycle process, types of metals used and from where, and most importantly for your region-Cranking Amps.

Cranking Amps, per layperson understanding, is like battery torque… if you will. The energy your battery is able to contribute toward spinning your engine’s starter motor. In frigid conditions, all energy matters tend to be slowed down due to idol molecular theory. So in my humble opinion… the more the merrier. And as far as Kinetic energy is concerned, you could even consider spending a bit $$$ and inquire into a “Marine” classified type battery. I prefer investing more on marine type for all my autos. Function, reliability, and longevity have certainly payed dividends over the years.

Remember… once your engine has been spun and is running, you have accomplished nearly 100% of battery duty. But we won’t go into alternating charge currency on this thread.

Hope this was helpful! Stay warm and safe over the colder and dryer season. And remember to keep your fuel tank above 1/2 full level. For many reasons. (Even google will elaborate)

best wishes
~b~

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Holy old thread batman, from 2009 he's probably already made his decision and his 98 is long since rotted away.

Butcher6ix

TDI
Imported type
Holy old thread batman, from 2009 he's probably already made his decision and his 98 is long since rotted away.
Yes… but it’s a clever way of discovering the maker/shakers among the sheepishly idol order takers of the world!