06 Jetta, Driver Door, Have to Pull Twice from Exterior to Open/Unlock?

MmmDieselFumes

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Howdy yall,

Had an issue with my 06's driver door since I got it about a year ago. Whenever I lock the car then come back later, I have to pull the door handle twice to actually open the door.

Sometimes it doesn't move at all on first pull, but then it opens on the second pull. Other times it seems to unlatch partially on the first pull, but then unlatches completely on the second pull.

If I get out, then lock the car from remote, then unlock again soon, the door will sometimes open on the first pull. But almost without fail, if it I lock it, then come back after 15+ minutes, I'll have to do the pull twice dance to open the door.

The door ALWAYS opens on the first pull from the interior side. So I'm think that either the latch isn't in the proper location (though it doesn't really feel like a misalignment, if you know what I mean), or possibly the cable to the exterior handle isn't adjusted properly?

If anyone has any insight, I'd definitely appreciate it. How hard is it to remove the interior door panel to make adjustments to the cable, if that's what it might be? Just looking at the door, I can't see how to remove the panel...

Thanks!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Has the wire harness to the door been updated/repaired? Broken wires at the door hinge can cause all sorts of inconsistent behavior.

There are several threads about this...

MmmDieselFumes

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Not sure if it has been updated/repaired by the previous owner (I haven't done it), but I looked through the service records (he kept them ALL) and I didn't see any mention. Was this a recall? If it is, will the dealership still take care of it since I'm not the original owner and it's pretty far out of warranty (6 years old and @ 133k miles)?

Though I'm leaning more towards a mechanical issue than electric. I can hit unlock on the remote several times or press unlock from the interior side, and I will still have to pull twice. But I've been wrong before, so who knows! Lol

I searched, but only mention I could find of similar symptoms was for MK4's, and they said something about cables might be the culprit.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Sounds like the cable going to the door handle is in a bind. I'd remove the outside door handle and check the condition of the tiny cable and make sure it's not stuck.

eric-satx

TDI
2006 MKV x2
I had the same issue after replacing my latch but was able to fix by repositioning it.
Try loosening the two triple-square bolts slightly, position the latch a little higher... then re-tighten.

slosrtnick

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore, VR6 now (short commute now)
I'm having the same issue along with all sorts of electrical malfunctions in the driver's door. So I'm leaning towards the door harness needing replacing. As far as I know VW didn't recall the harness and it's about $170 for a new one plus install which includes removing both the interior door panel and the exterior door skin.

Nick

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
The pulling twice to open the door happend every time a body shop took the door off during repairs. Last time they fixed it in about 2 minutes "by adjusting the cable" according to the adjuster.
It really seems to be a quick fix, I just don't know how... Sorry

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
Adjust the cable is all you need to do. I had this same issue after removing my door skin and not paying proper attention to where the cable was. You need to insert a torx driver (t27 maybe???) into the door to remove the lock cylinder. This exposes where the cable sits in the outside handle retainer. You pry the cable out and set it in a new position and see if that works. If not try another position until you get it right. Should not take more than a few minutes. Trying to find a youtube video showing what you need.

*edit*
this link contains what you need
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/door-skin-jetta-remove.htm

Last edited:

MmmDieselFumes

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Update:

That's what the problem seemed to be! I finally got around to trying the fix, and after the first couple of tests, it seems to have remedied the issue.

The clip was set too "tight". Meaning that it was set like this:

[XXXX|||||]---------

Instead of like this:

[||||XXXX|]---------

If those pictures make any sense to someone with the same problem. Essentially, I made it sit like it is in this picture:

I'd say my issue is solved, and was a 5 minute fix! A little tip though, when you're loosening that T20 bolt under the sticker, I found it best to hold the door handle open, THEN loosen the bolt to pull out the lock cylinder. It seemed to bind up when I tried loosening the bolt, the opening the handle and then try to pull out the cylinder. Hopes that helps someone!

flyvsdrive

TDI
2005.5 Jetta (MKV BRM)
Thanks Waspie and mmmdieselfumes for the info and pics. This is what I needed after replacing my latch mechanism. Now I know what the repair manual meant when saying the handle should be gently resting on the door, not being pulled in.

macguymark

TDI
VW Jetta TDI
Big thank you... I was able to adjust my door to open on the first pull. All it needed was to loosen the triple square bolts and slight move the locking mechanism up. Works like a charm. I was telling everyone that my Jetta was morphing into a BMW slowly now its feeling like its self again.

hughmac4

TDI
MK5 GTI
Very late to the party, but wanted to thank @MmmDieselFumes for the clear explanation. Same issue after wiring harness replacement, fixed by loosening the cable a couple of micro-notches. Hooray! Thanks again!