The truth of Passat and urea injection?

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Mine had it BEFORE the Phase 1 was done.

I've heard that the 2015 Passats all had urea injection from the factory, unlike the other models. And I've heard otherwise.

What is the truth?

-mickey

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yes, that is correct, and all the 2015 TDIs had it (Passat, Jetta, Golf, etc.) 2012-2014 it was only the Passat, and maybe the Touareg, I'm not sure since I don't do SUVs. Our 2013 Passat has it, in fact I'm just about ready to refill the DEF tank....

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

I've heard that the 2015 Passats all had urea injection from the factory, unlike the other models. And I've heard otherwise.

What is the truth?
All Passat TDIs from 2012 on had adblue (urea) injection. The confusion probably stems from the fact that 2009 - 2014 Jetta and Golf TDIs did NOT use DEF injection. They used a different system - that apparently did not work well enough.

Have Fun!

Don

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
What is the truth?
-mickey
One more fact...
The 2015 has a different engine too....
Built to be used with SCR from the start.
The gen2 cars had the urea/DEF system bolted on....onto basically a gen1 motor.
Gen1 tried to do it with a LNT TRAP...used on some heavy duty trucks for a couple years... practice showed it had to Regen so often they negated much if the fuel sipping advantages of diesel....there was a similar emissions scandal with engine makers using LNT TRAP back in 2010-12....they were shutting off the Regen after about 200 miles...
So different tech even though the bodies of the car look similar...so the gen 2 and gen3 fixes and final level of allowed emissions are different as per the agreement with the EPA.

Last edited: