*Need help* getting back to stock/stock+ ride height with Bilstein PSS9s

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
I really like the stiffness/handling of my setup, the Bilstein PSS9 coilover kit but the time has come to raise the car back up to stock or stock+ height.

Problem- Coilovers adjust in the front but the kit came with shorter springs in the rear. How do I keep the same stiffness and raise the car back up?

These are the specs according to tech support @ Bilstein on the PSS9 kit:

front main: 405 lb rate
front tender: 115 lb rate
rears: 255 lb rate

The setup is 5 years old

I will go even stiffer on the spring rate, but no softer

Suggestions anyone?

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Just do the same thing as every other lift kit does - simple spacer in the rear. Reference the DIY lift kit for $40 thread, the dieselgeek kit, etc. All you need to do is put a spacer under the rear spring (and another at the top for the shock, unless you want to get a longer one).

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
shizzler said:
Just do the same thing as every other lift kit does - simple spacer in the rear. Reference the DIY lift kit for $40 thread, the dieselgeek kit, etc. All you need to do is put a spacer under the rear spring (and another at the top for the shock, unless you want to get a longer one).

Dieselgeek has a spacer/lift kit? I don't see it on their site.. :confused:

I tried asking Metalnerd and they said their kit won't work.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Haha, sorry, I meant metalnerd.

I would just follow what the DYI lift kit for $40 guy did.

Or keep the PSS9's cranked all the way up and live with it. Why do you so desperately need to raise up?

Shine springs would be your best bet for handling at stock ride height though.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
shizzler said:
Haha, sorry, I meant metalnerd.

I would just follow what the DYI lift kit for $40 guy did.

Or keep the PSS9's cranked all the way up and live with it. Why do you so desperately need to raise up?

Shine springs would be your best bet for handling at stock ride height though.
....raising up since I'm tired of having to be careful with potholes, etc. plus I would like to take the car on dirt roads and have it generally more versatile and capable in the winter as well

Not sure if the Shine springs are stiff enough. I remember the Rally TDI Jon Hamilton had. That thing had a stiff ride but I can't remember if he used custom springs..?

The PSS9s are cranked to max stiffness w/ the valve adjustments. Handles quite well already but just needs to be higher up

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Ground clearance FTMFW!

loudspl said:
....raising up since I'm tired of having to be careful with potholes, etc. plus I would like to take the car on dirt roads and have it generally more versatile and capable in the winter as well
You do have a Panzer plate by now, I hope?

As others have said, try the Metalnerd lift spacers. I have fresh mounts in the front of my Golf with the 10mm OEM spacer, both of which help. The rear just got Air Lift bags installed inside the springs at the same time as my Westfalia hitch went on. With just 10 psi in the bags the rear is MUCH higher, exceeding the front end wheel gap. Nice!

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Yep....got a Panzer I found when the car was first bought...forgot I even had it but sadly don't have it on yet so I am being xtra careful in the meantime

...Metalnerd says their kit won't work but it (or similar) should work with any short/long A4 rear spring right?