Engine noise on AM radio

diesel crazy

TDI
Passat TDI 2005
I have the stock Monsoon radio. When I got the car back in Nov. 2010 I tried the AM radio and remember it pulling in a weak station that I listen to very well. After having the BSM done and a transmition replaced I noteced that there is a noticeable hash sound only on AM. It only happens when the engine is actually running. If the ignition is on and the engine not running it sounds fine.

Any ideas of how to track it down? Would doing the BSM and Tranny change have anything to do with it? Perhaps some ground isn't solid or some wires got put into a diffetent postition?

Any suggestion would be appreciated

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
its alternator hash. you can put a couple capacitors on the b+ and it will eliminate the hash. most european cars already have them

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
you could see if its the fuel pump by pulling fuse. it may be a ground of a shielded circuit. did you try blower fan at different speeds? any motor with brushes is suspect.