Me & my Red Rider Against the Squirrels!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Me & my Red Ryder Against the Squirrels!!

I've got these stinkin squirrels chunkin' pecans at my car. Well, maybe not, but I had to relate it to my car somehow. I've got a couple of big pecan trees in the front yard. It's been making some good looking nuts the last couple of years. Problem is, I haven't got 1 freakin' nut for myself. The dang squirrels are beating me to them last year. Hell, I even trimmed the trees this year, just so there wouldn't be any limbs hanging anywhere near the roof (easy access for the little peckers).
I come home from work today and do a little spot watering in the yard. Lo and behold, there's stinking pecan shells everywhere by the base of the trees.
THIS IS WAR!!!
I'm breakin out the heavy artillery. I dusted off the Red Rider. Well, it's the best I can do living in town. Had I been at the ranch, it would be no problem. Can you say squirrel stew? Sure you can.
I spotted one sitting in the shade of the pecan trees earlier having a little snack. I snuck in the house and got the red rider and was just about to sneak out for the ambush when.........The UPS man, man I hate brown right now.
I have a goal. I want 10 pecans for myself. That's it. If I can manage to discourage those little peckers long enough, I'll be a happy man.

Stay tuned.

Game on Mr. squirrel, the war is ON!!!!:mad::mad:

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
BBD,
Try a glue board, You can still make stew, too. I miss the farm for
the same reason.

Omaay D'poe (the french home improvement store) sells live traps too.

Omnivore Bill

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
40X40 said:
BBD,
Try a glue board, You can still make stew, too. I miss the farm for
the same reason.

Omaay D'poe (the french home improvement store) sells live traps too.

Omnivore Bill

Hey, Mr Omnivore Bill, around here it's pronounced Home Debit...

Bam bam, get yourself a Jack Russel Terrior that can climb trees. That'll take care of the squirrel problem.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
JRT, interesting. If it could differientiate between a friggin squirrel and my one-eyed cat (aka speedbump), I would be game.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
bam_bam_dip said:
JRT, interesting. If it could differientiate between a friggin squirrel and my one-eyed cat (aka speedbump), I would be game.
Oh... never mind. Prey is prey, though some Jacks have been raised with fluff and don't kill them.

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Try one of those Corn Cobb squirrel feeders. But lace the corn with some deterrent/poison.

Actually, you just need a better cat. Speedbump should be patrolling your pests. You need a good barn cat mouser.

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
a good cat may work wonders on the squirrel problem, but does less for anger management. I say bring out the red rider, but don't shoot your eye out!

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
TDI'watcher said:
Try one of those Corn Cobb squirrel feeders. But lace the corn with some deterrent/poison.
I wonder........We used to deter coyotes by soaking hot dog weinies in antifreeze. But I can't use something that speedbump would eat. Maybe I could soak a corn cob?? Definately an option, but more thought is needed.

TDI'watcher said:
Actually, you just need a better cat. Speedbump should be patrolling your pests. You need a good barn cat mouser.
Nuttin' wrong with my cat brother. He's paid his dues. He's a dang good mouser, but squirrels are another story.
Man, if Toby the weiner dog could only climb trees, I'd be in bidness!!

On another note, daughter #2 was walking the mail out to the box this morning. She stopped, looked back at me, and said "daddy, there's a squirrel on the roof, he just jumped out of your tree".
GRRRRRRRRR!!!
Aside: I kinda get this feeling like I'm gonna turn into Bill Murray in Caddyshack..........huntin' varmits!!! At least I don't have access to any C-4.

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
A Red Ryder is hardly big artillery. You need one of those bad a$$ pump air rifles. Somewhere along the lines of 600-700 fps, and you would be in bidness.

In many cities, air rifles are as illegal as fireworks; not as bad as a firearm, but still technically illegal.

OR- Just wait until the 4th of July and start picking them off from a good concealed position. Your neighbors would just figure you got a good batch of M80s this year.

OR - Go Carl the Greenskeeper on them and mold some plastic explosives into the form of friendly Mr. Rabbit...

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
buy some pecans at the grocery store

or, look into getting a huge net for your tree to keep insects and squirrels out

you could also spray poison all over the pecan tree, but that might backfire when you decide to eat some of them

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta

look into getting a huge net for your tree to keep insects and possibly squirrels out

or you could also spray poison all over the pecan tree, but that might backfire when you decide to eat them

..."and I could see the Squirrels.. and they were married" -Milton

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
y2kbird said:

look into getting a huge net for your tree to keep insects and possibly squirrels out

or you could also spray poison all over the pecan tree, but that might backfire when you decide to eat them

..."and I could see the Squirrels.. and they were married" -Milton
married...you mean "merry" :D

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
whitedog said:
"I smell varmit Po..."

never mind.
"and the only good varmint ******* is dead varmint *******, i think."

anyway, when i was in high school, i used to shoot squirrels that would attack my parents' pecan tree (get your hands off my pecans, you damn, dirty squirrels!). killed a bunch, until the neighbors across the way called the fuzz on me.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
bigEZ said:
"and the only good varmint ******* is dead varmint *******, i think."

anyway, when i was in high school, i used to shoot squirrels that would attack my parents' pecan tree (get your hands off my pecans, you damn, dirty squirrels!). killed a bunch, until the neighbors across the way called the fuzz on me.
Well, I'm closing in on the big 4 0, I have 3 kiddos, 2 jobs. I don't think I need Festus coming to pay me a visit.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
bam_bam_dip said:
Well, I'm closing in on the big 4 0, I have 3 kiddos, 2 jobs. I don't think I need Festus coming to pay me a visit.
hey, you're in texas. isn't killing things (squirrels included) your god-given right? i thought when kids were born down there, they gave them a gun (easy: i from texas, too. just a little humor).

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Not sure what the zoning is around your house but a 12 guage with full choke and trap and skeet loads are very effective against against squirrels :D its also VERY satisfying to blast those little f-ers :eek:

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
After thoughtful consideration, I'm going to attempt the corn cobs in the antifreeze approach. The antifreeze is at least automotive in nature, so maybe this thread will remain unlocked for a while. The only proble I can forsee with the corncob approach is that I won't fully be able to appreciate the dead varmits demise firsthand. I should only notice it by a decrease in shells on the ground.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
bam_bam_dip said:
After thoughtful consideration, I'm going to attempt the corn cobs in the antifreeze approach. The antifreeze is at least automotive in nature, so maybe this thread will remain unlocked for a while. The only proble I can forsee with the corncob approach is that I won't fully be able to appreciate the dead varmits demise firsthand. I should only notice it by a decrease in shells on the ground.
OR you could get a couple of hav-a-hart traps and

A: Relocate them to your your worst enemies neighborhood. <most deviouse>
B: Relocate them to a big field and give 'em a good running start before you blast 'em. :eek: <most satisfying>
C: Give 'em to Dick Cheney and let him blast 'em (make sure you're not in the hunting party :D). <least likely to eliminate the squirrels>

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
bam_bam_dip said:
you know, animals in general (like pets) are attracted to the sweetness of antifreeze. some of the newer antifreezes aren't supposed to be as bad/lethal (dexcool, for example; don't know about g-12).

i say just shoot them.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
My neighbor helps us have pecans around here. He said about 2 days ago his body count with his trap is up to 420.

When I asked a while back what he does with the ones he catches he smiled and winked and said "of course" he takes them out of town and releases them. Right.

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
Squirrel nuts, roasting on an open fire...... BamBam, Barbequing meat.....
pecan soufle, with a squirrely flambe, feeding homeless, all day.

Tickbait

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
None
BBD,

I'm thinking you should whoop up a big ole pot of this for the next GTG:

Seminole Squirrel Stew

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
2 Squirrels, cleaned
1 cup All-purpose flour
2 cups Water
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tablespoons Lard or bacon drippings

Cut squirrels into serving pieces. Mix salt, pepper and flour and
dredge the squirrel pieces in the mixture. In a large skillet, heat
the fat and fry squirrel pieces, turning occasionally until golden
brown. Remove squirrel from the skillet and set aside. Pour off all
fat except about 3 tablespoons. Add water to the skillet and bring to
boil. Return squirrel to the skillet; bring to boil again, cover and
reduce heat. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very
tender. Serve with corn bread.

I loves me some fresh kill.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
you need cousin eddie from the vacation movies. he eats those things. oh, wait, he used to, but he's watching his cholesterol now!

Status
Not open for further replies.