TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   VW Diesel Renaissance Coming Per VW CEO !?! (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=487083)

251 March 7th, 2018 13:32

VW Diesel Renaissance Coming Per VW CEO !?!

Hey, this was just announced today so looks like VW may be moving past Dieselgate at long last?

http://www.motortrend.com/news/volks...l-renaissance/

Wonder how long until (or if) TDI's will return to North American dealer lots?

oilhammer March 7th, 2018 13:34

Hopefully soon. Taking good care of the ones I have now though, and stashing a few more.

D-Cup March 7th, 2018 13:46

VW: "Hey guys, we're gonna cut out on the diesels."
Toyota & others: Yeah, I guess we'll cut out on the diesels too."
VW: (wow...look at al that market share...) SUCKERS!!!! Haha! Who wants a diesel!?!

D-Cup March 7th, 2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer (Post 5387750)
Hopefully soon. Taking good care of the ones I have now though, and stashing a few more.

do you have a maintenance protocol for those cars that are "stashed" and not really driven? or do you just take turns driving them all?

Quincy March 7th, 2018 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Cup (Post 5387753)
VW: "Hey guys, we're gonna cut out on the diesels."
Toyota & others: Yeah, I guess we'll cut out on the diesels too."
VW: (wow...look at al that market share...) SUCKERS!!!! Haha! Who wants a diesel!?!

You might be on to something! Remember in the mid 90s when the big three were all going to bail on RWD sedans? Ford ended up selling that old Crown Vic to every law enforcement agency for over 15 years without really changing it.

D-Cup March 7th, 2018 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quincy (Post 5387787)
You might be on to something! Remember in the mid 90s when the big three were all going to bail on RWD sedans? Ford ended up selling that old Crown Vic to every law enforcement agency for over 15 years without really changing it.

Not really, no. I don't remember much from the mid 90s...

...I was 5. :D

Quincy March 7th, 2018 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Cup (Post 5387796)
Not really, no. I don't remember much from the mid 90s...
...I was 5. :D

Thanks for making some of us feel quite aged. Did you notice that the typical police car you saw during the majority of your life never changed until the last few years? Hell, there's still a bunch Crown Vics out there in the law enforcement community! I for one kind of like seeing them. Unlike how you make me feel, they tend to make me feel youthful. They tend to be badged "Volunteer Senior Patrol" and will still harass a youngster such as myself.:)

soldierguy March 8th, 2018 03:45

Electrics are great...if you don't have to drive very much. I drive 225 miles daily (round trip) just to get to and from work. I need a car that has enough range to do that comfortably, and if it's powered by some sort of petroleum product, I need the car to be able to easily make two round trips so I don't have to hit the gas station every day.

I used to have a '16 Prius, and it would just barely make the two round trips to work...on days with high winds (frequent where I drive), my MPG would drop and I'd end up stopping early for gas. The Jetta, regardless of weather, easily makes 2 round trips, and I could probably make 3 pretty easily. No electric has the range I need, especially given the headwinds and temperature extremes I deal with all the time.

I'm not at all disappointed with the idea of more Diesels entering the market. Bring them on! I'll happily drive them!

oilhammer March 8th, 2018 03:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Cup (Post 5387754)
do you have a maintenance protocol for those cars that are "stashed" and not really driven? or do you just take turns driving them all?

I try and drive them at least once a month, depending on their current condition. I had a 2010 Jetta sedan stashed for nearly a year, it had a cracked DPF and the subsequent clogged EGR tube, both otherwise ran and drove fine. Sat in one of the buildings at our farm property with a gauntlet of critter mitigation devices around it, under it, and in it. I was waiting to see what the "fix" was, but when they finally said they would not fix it unless it was no needing to be fixed (yeah, figure that one out), I deleted/tuned it, and sold it to someone I had in line to buy it if I sold it.

I also usually have a few at home that I'll drive once a week or so. Fortunately I have a place to put them, and usually have a supply of decent take out batteries and a smattering of used take off tires I can rotate on to them as needed to at least make sure they can be driven. I just put a set of used Chinapops I have already mounted on wheels on to a Golf I recently got. Those wheels/tires have spent time on about a half dozen cars at some point or another, LOL.

IndigoBlueWagon March 8th, 2018 05:41

I have extras but they all get driven pretty regularly.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/medium/three3.jpg
I'm big on battery tenders. I've replaced 4 batteries in my cars in the past year.

Mythdoc March 8th, 2018 05:46

Mercedes is working on a diesel/electric plug in that could operate on current in cities and on diesel power outside them. Clever idea.

IndigoBlueWagon March 8th, 2018 07:03

https://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.c...-dieselhybrid/

VeeDubTDI March 8th, 2018 11:09

It's perplexing to me that after all that has happened in recent years, VW's CEO is now talking about a diesel renaissance.

After committing the company to going full speed ahead on EV development and even lobbying German officials to end diesel tax breaks, his quote, "Once the knowledge that diesels are eco-friendly firms up in people’s minds, then for me there’s no reason not to buy one," is especially confounding.

In all of this, I see leadership and corporate direction issues at Volkswagen that could put them behind their competitors in the coming years. Regarding a diesel renaissance at Volkswagen, I'll believe it when I see them on dealer lots.

soldierguy March 8th, 2018 18:12

Diesels make a lot of sense, but not in all vehicles and not for all people.

Drive in town a lot and never leave town in that vehicle? Go battery, or a cheap, small gasser.

Mixed driving, weighted towards around town, but need a vehicle for longer trips? Hybrid, or a less expensive but still economical gasser, or a Diesel.

Lots of highway driving? Diesel.

Diesels in compact or mid-size SUVs make a lot of sense as well...torque, and better fuel economy than a gas counterpart.

In the end though, buyers need to look at their needs, and as well, do an actual cost analysis of what the overall costs will be, including purchase price/payment, fuel, and maintenance.

gearheadgrrrl March 8th, 2018 18:20

There's a reason why diesel kicked steam out of locomotives and gas out of big trucks a half century or so ago and hasn't budged since... Compression ignition is still the most economical power source with a power density that electric vehicles can't compete with. Barring a quantum leap in battery performance, electric propulsion isn't going to evict diesel anytime soon.