Emissions Work Shop Warning Light ?

Greg LaHaie

TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg. 2
I'm a seldom lurker/ poster here and have a recent issue with the mentioned warning light coming on at start up and now staying on. It happened about 2 months back and went away. Our Jetta TDI is a 05.5 w/DSG, Package 2, 97,000 miles, hasn't had any previous problems, all service is up to date including timing belt/waterpump, etc. What is the probable cause of this warning light, should the car be driven much before taking it in, what kind of cost is to be expected. We live about 3 hours from the nearest service facility for a TDI and can't get there for a while. Thanks for your help, Greg.

MkVer

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta BRM
Unfortunately the Emissions Workshop CEL is one of the more general CELs that you can get. It could be anything from the MAF in the intake all the way back to the last O2 sensor in the exhaust. If you can get to someone with VagCom you can get a good answer. Otherwise any ol' AutoZone type store should be able to plug into your OBDII port and read your codes, won't be as detailed as VagCom but it'll be a start.

As for the light coming on then going off, if I'm not mistaken if the car sees a trouble thus turning on a CEL and doesn't see it again for the next seven? start ups the CEL will turn off. There will still be record of the the original fault in a VagCom type scan but nothing for OBDII.

If the car isn't driving differently or kicking down into trouble mode (significantly less power) be careful if the dealer suggests replacing a big ticket item. That's when even an AutoZone scan can be helpful.

THChemE

TDI
none at this time
If the car isn't driving differently or kicking down into trouble mode (significantly less power) be careful if the dealer suggests replacing a big ticket item. That's when even an AutoZone scan can be helpful.
I just got the same warning and am going to get an OBDII look at the code today. I am, however, in low power mode. Does that point to something substantially worse than if I have the warning and regular power?

THChemE

TDI
none at this time
OBDII says turbo overboost condition. It cleared and did not come back in 5 miles. Will be looking for the leak/whistle with a piece of tubing.

MkVer

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta BRM
Trouble/Limp mode is the car's way of trying to protect itself. So if your get any sort of CEL and about the same time power is reduced that is a sign that the car's computer detected a possibly damaging condition. For instance, I killed my MAF* and while that caused a CEL, no limp mode. On the other hand, I had an issue with my EGR that was also throwing a CEL and limp mode.

Turbo Overboost could be catastrophic if it weren't for limp mode. Depending on the reason for limp mode usually cycling the ignition will return your car to normal power.

*when I first got the car I didn't know any better and installed a K&N. Yes in retrospect I do feel stupid.