rolling back emissions standards. Our faint hope clause??

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
It is not clear how this might help to bring more efficient light duty diesel vehicles to the US. If there is no requirement for the cars to be efficient and the cost of fuel is relatively low (current situation) then there is no incentive to sell vehicles that do much better MPG than today's average (somewhere around 23-25 MPG if I am not mistaken).

While VW was caught cheating other manufacturers such as BMW, Mercedes Benz and GM were able to sell compliant light duty diesel cars.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
As much as Pruitt and his cronies would like to roll back environmental regulations, it's much easier said than done. Most of his efforts will be blocked by litigation for years, by which point there may well be a new administration in power, and much less hostile to environmental protections. As effective as Pruitt has been at grabbing headlines, he's really not very effective at the deregulation he would like to see.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
CAFE mpg is one thing, but it doesn't say anything about rolling back emissions requirements.

Exactly, and as we have found out, high fuel economy and low emissions are treated as two different things, hence the making of a bunch of 50 MPG cars "illegal".

If anything, relaxed CAFE regs will mean LESS likelihood of any more diesels.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Frankly, I think on a lot of this regulation, there is a fine line between reasonable and excessive. If you can get 97% of the benefit at, say, 25% of the cost and regulation, is the last 3% really worth it, or should they look at other sources of pollutants that are far larger? At some point, the result is so minimal that pursuing it becomes insane, and I think in a lot of cases (diesels being one) that that point has been crossed and things need to roll back a bit.

And I don't want to hear the 'but then we will have air like China' crowd, because that's *NOT* what I said! Rolling back to reasonable regulation is not, in any way, the same as eliminating it . . .

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Frankly, I think on a lot of this regulation, there is a fine line between reasonable and excessive. I you can get 97% of the benefit at, say, 25% of the cost and regulation, is thr last 3% really worth it, or should they look at other sources of pollutants that are far larger? At some point, the result is so minimal that pursuing it becomes insane, and I think in a lot of cases (diesels being one) that that point has been crossed and things need to roll back a bit.

And I don't want to hear the 'but then we will have air like China' crowd, because that's *NOT* what I said! Rolling back to reasonable regulation is not, in any way, the same as eliminating it . . .
I agree. Some common sense regulations would be nice.

Just like a new F150 Raptor is legal that gets 15MPG but a 50MPG TDI is illegal. Someone is stuck on stupid.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Frankly, I think on a lot of this regulation, there is a fine line between reasonable and excessive. If you can get 97% of the benefit at, say, 25% of the cost and regulation, is the last 3% really worth it, or should they look at other sources of pollutants that are far larger? At some point, the result is so minimal that pursuing it becomes insane, and I think in a lot of cases (diesels being one) that that point has been crossed and things need to roll back a bit.
Exactly - any engineer will tell you that the first 80% of the job takes 20% of the money/time, but that last 20% will take the other 80%.

Want that last 20%? Set up some sort of X-Prize-style incentive, and then stand back and see what the Science! crowd comes up with that's cost-effective. Meanwhile, work toward getting 80% of everything to 80%....

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Part of the issue is that manufacturers were holding back on newer technologies to maximize their profits. When the new CAFE standards when into effect, miraculously all these manufacturers were able to increase mileage significantly (DI engines, fuel management strategies, lighter materials). Previously they were just churning out old tech to avoid new research and tooling costs. Every engine already had an established foundry, etc.

oilhammer

TDI
There is also what the consumer wants, and what they will tolerate.

Americans generally do not tend to go after high MPG vehicles, so there is little incentive for manufacturers to offer them here.

Ford (and others) are making talk about killing off even more passenger cars, and ramping up production of trucks, because that is what consumers want.

Not me, necessarily, but you cannot argue with sales figures. And if fuel prices remain low(ish), then nothing will change.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Consumers are a fickle bunch. They changed with the time
. Auto makers have been very consistent over the years by insisting the car engine can not be improved since 1965. They patched together crappy solutions, claiming it was the fault of regulations and the 1975 emissions we're impossibly difficult. Then in 1973 Honda found a solution at a reasonable price. Other automakers followed, with Detroit bringing up the tail end. Same story for decades, it just is impossible to do anything better.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
There is 'better', and there is 'at reasonable cost' and the latter appears to be a failure. Just because something is possible does not necessarily make it good overall . . . .

oilhammer

TDI
Detroit did lots of advanced things, people just didn't buy them, or didn't appreciate them, or they never got past the teething phase.

Chrysler had fuel injection in 1950.

Chevrolet had it in 1957.

Oldsmobile and Buick both had all aluminum alloy V8 engines in the early 1960s.

Ford had overhead cam V8s in the 1960s.

Pontiac had a belt driven OHC I6 in the 1960s.

Pontiac also had a rear mounted transaxle with IRS in the '60s.

The Corvair, despite its issues, was a really advanced car compared to others in its day, and even had an optional turbocharger.

NONE of the above sold well, because the consumers instead bought giant iron pushrod V8s instead. They were cheaper, less fragile, more powerful.

If all the current vehicles sold trended towards the higher end of MPG, while the gas hogs sat and gathered dust, they would change what they build. But that is not happening. Consumers are not buying the little Fiesta, so Ford is removing it from our lineup. Consumers are not buying the C-max, so Ford is removing it from our lineup. The Focus sales have been in decline since 2012... last year, down to 158k units. The Explorer in the same period has seen increasing sales, with a final tally of 271k units last year. By the end of the 2018 model year, it is predicted that Ford will be selling twice as many Explorers as Focuses. If the trend continues, which one do you think Ford will want to continue building?

Chevrolet Cruze: sales slipping since 2014, now down to 184k last year. Traverse? Climbing steadily, up to 123k last year, and the Equinox also climbing hit 290k last year, and is expected to top 300k by end of 2018. Of course, this is eclipsed by the Silverado, which sold a whopping 585k units in 2017. That is more than the total sales of the Spark (22k), Sonic (30k), Cruze (184k), and Malibu (185k) COMBINED.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
There is 'better', and there is 'at reasonable cost' and the latter appears to be a failure. Just because something is possible does not necessarily make it good overall . . . .
The 'at reasonable cost' seems funny in this age of $60,000 pickups that sell like hotcakes.:rolleyes:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree. Some common sense regulations would be nice.

Just like a new F150 Raptor is legal that gets 15MPG but a 50MPG TDI is illegal. Someone is stuck on stupid.
That's one way to look at it. On the other hand the potentially 50 MPG Chevrolet Cruze diesel is legal and it has been so for some time now.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
The vehicle has to be desirable, and pickups appear to be. If it was not desirable, it needs to be cheap, and a $30K car with a $20K EPA political penalty emission system atop it isn't going far . . . Not everyone puts mileage and tree hugger agendas first . . . we still have freedom of choice . . . I try to balance both, but refuse to stuff myself into a tiny uncomfortable impractical tin can just so I can gloat about how great I am environmentally. For me, the Passat is about the dividing line . . . Others mileage may vary . . .

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Consumers are a fickle bunch. They changed with the time
. Auto makers have been very consistent over the years by insisting the car engine can not be improved since 1965. They patched together crappy solutions, claiming it was the fault of regulations and the 1975 emissions we're impossibly difficult. Then in 1973 Honda found a solution at a reasonable price. Other automakers followed, with Detroit bringing up the tail end. Same story for decades, it just is impossible to do anything better.
Ok, maybe there's some of this 'consumer fickleness' but as OH and others have pointed out repeatedly is that Americans want mostly large to medium SUVs and if they get a raise an even better choice would be a truck. This combined with relatively lower fuel prices and you have the 'perfect storm' to keep the national non-commercial fleet average fuel economy as close to 20 MPG as possible for decades. You cannot fool the laws of physics. You prefer an SUV to a mid-size wagon and there is going to be a substantial fuel economy penalty, no matter what engine you put in it.

A car such as the Mazda 5 (Volkswagen Touran would be another example) or various types of wagons are mostly absent in North America precisely because the consumer does not want it. Let's not blame the manufacturers for this please. Frankly it is getting old this excuse, sorry for putting it more bluntly.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Detroit did lots of advanced things, people just didn't buy them, or didn't appreciate them, or they never got past the teething phase.

Chrysler had fuel injection in 1950.

Chevrolet had it in 1957.

Oldsmobile and Buick both had all aluminum alloy V8 engines in the early 1960s.

Ford had overhead cam V8s in the 1960s.

Pontiac had a belt driven OHC I6 in the 1960s.

Pontiac also had a rear mounted transaxle with IRS in the '60s.

The Corvair, despite its issues, was a really advanced car compared to others in its day, and even had an optional turbocharger.

NONE of the above sold well, because the consumers instead bought giant iron pushrod V8s instead. They were cheaper, less fragile, more powerful.

If all the current vehicles sold trended towards the higher end of MPG, while the gas hogs sat and gathered dust, they would change what they build. But that is not happening. Consumers are not buying the little Fiesta, so Ford is removing it from our lineup. Consumers are not buying the C-max, so Ford is removing it from our lineup. The Focus sales have been in decline since 2012... last year, down to 158k units. The Explorer in the same period has seen increasing sales, with a final tally of 271k units last year. By the end of the 2018 model year, it is predicted that Ford will be selling twice as many Explorers as Focuses. If the trend continues, which one do you think Ford will want to continue building?

Chevrolet Cruze: sales slipping since 2014, now down to 184k last year. Traverse? Climbing steadily, up to 123k last year, and the Equinox also climbing hit 290k last year, and is expected to top 300k by end of 2018. Of course, this is eclipsed by the Silverado, which sold a whopping 585k units in 2017. That is more than the total sales of the Spark (22k), Sonic (30k), Cruze (184k), and Malibu (185k) COMBINED.

Agreed, but that's cutting edge technology as opposed to incremental increase. Direct injection, for example, was ready to go a long time ago but not implemented.

Consumers, I believe, would pick a vehicle with significantly increased power and mileage at minimal cost increase compared to the one with less. One example that I recall: the Mustang (2010 through 2012) had an increase of 100 hp in the V8 and 1 more mpg (admittedly not much, but still an increase despite the 30+ % increase in power). Price increase was about $1,300 more and by 2012 total sales figures went up almost 20%.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
The problem is, most of the better technology, of both gasoline and diesel, has been eaten up by bigger, bloated, heavier, and more [needless] power.

If we were content to drive an A1 Golf, we'd be able to buy a new 70 MPG car for probably $12k. But we've legislated our way right out of even having that be an option.

BTW, a Fox body Mustang, in the late '80s, with the standard 2.3L and 5sp manual gearbox, could tag 30 on the highway. I know, I had one. And it was pretty peppy, too. So again, the "new" Mustang, with what is probably an engine with thrice the HP, does not go thrice the distance on the same amount of fuel.

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
The problem is, most of the better technology, of both gasoline and diesel, has been eaten up by bigger, bloated, heavier, and more [needless] power.

If we were content to drive an A1 Golf, we'd be able to buy a new 70 MPG car for probably $12k. But we've legislated our way right out of even having that be an option.

BTW, a Fox body Mustang, in the late '80s, with the standard 2.3L and 5sp manual gearbox, could tag 30 on the highway. I know, I had one. And it was pretty peppy, too. So again, the "new" Mustang, with what is probably an engine with thrice the HP, does not go thrice the distance on the same amount of fuel.
Dumb Americans are victims of their own greed - more power - I need MOAR POWR lol. I imagine if they used that tech they could've had 250 hp and perhaps doubled mileage.

oilhammer

TDI
Just a case study, for fun, poll a few of your friends and family members to see what if any changes to their primary vehicles have resulted in a change for the positive in fuel economy in recent years.

I can tell you that ALL four of my remaining siblings, and their spouses, are currently driving vehicles that consume more fuel (in a couple cases, a LOT more) than they once did. And nothing else changed that would have been cause to suddenly decide being wasteful is OK. I certainly don't like getting into discussions about it with family, but I quietly just sit and shake my head. And they ALL complain about money. :rolleyes:

I have a lot of friends and friends of friends that are the same way. It is just a wasteful American attitude, and if it is cheap or convenient to be wasteful, then all the better! :mad:

And for those who live in the city, who could actually benefit from an EV, they look at me like I am nuts for even mentioning it. My brother just bought V8 #2, a giant Tundra, that he doesn't need, parked next to the Sequoia that his wife drives, in the driveway of a house they cannot afford. THAT is the "typical" American consumer, and THAT is who the manufacturers are building for. Given the profitability of giant trucks, it is easy to see why.

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Just a case study, for fun, poll a few of your friends and family members to see what if any changes to their primary vehicles have resulted in a change for the positive in fuel economy in recent years.

I can tell you that ALL four of my remaining siblings, and their spouses, are currently driving vehicles that consume more fuel (in a couple cases, a LOT more) than they once did. And nothing else changed that would have been cause to suddenly decide being wasteful is OK. I certainly don't like getting into discussions about it with family, but I quietly just sit and shake my head. And they ALL complain about money. :rolleyes:

I have a lot of friends and friends of friends that are the same way. It is just a wasteful American attitude, and if it is cheap or convenient to be wasteful, then all the better! :mad:

And for those who live in the city, who could actually benefit from an EV, they look at me like I am nuts for even mentioning it. My brother just bought V8 #2, a giant Tundra, that he doesn't need, parked next to the Sequoia that his wife drives, in the driveway of a house they cannot afford. THAT is the "typical" American consumer, and THAT is who the manufacturers are building for. Given the profitability of giant trucks, it is easy to see why.
My close friends - all for the better (VW TDI until the emissions issue, a Toyota hybrid, etc), but then I hang around with practical types. :)
My wife no change. My sister no change. They should've had an improvement but took a major HP increase instead. :(

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI

Myself: Passat TDI
Wife: Passat TDI
Daughter: Golf TDI (had a Passat, thought it was "too big" . . . )
Mid Daughter: Gas Jetta (local driver)
Youngest Daughter: Currently getting a TDI (Likely a CPO 2015 Jetta)
Son: Modest Toyo gasser.

And yes, I do have a Diesel pickup for my business, but it's not a daily driver . . .

But no, nobody wants anything to do with an e-turd. Just too impractical . . .

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL

This. And nowadays car manufacturers are like look at us we broke the 30mpg mile mark. Please thats 30 years ago with less BS on the car and way more practical, easier to work on and maintain. More mpgs in every car means less emissions. People sadly are just as ignorant as ever and continue in that trend. The movie Idiocracy isnt a fiction comedy its a glimpse into the future.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Part of the problem is that they beat the 30MPG mark (whenever) not necessarily by improving engine and powerplant technology, but by reducing body integrity by using what amounts to foil where much more metal used to be used, and by producing plethoras of clown cars. Heck, run the same engines from back in the 70's, and that same strategy would still give decent gains . . . What is needed is actual powerplant improvements and *NOT* just reducing vehicle size and mass . . .

So, I'd love to see a comparison of similar size and weight from current to 1970's or so . . . I don't think the gains will be what a lot of folks think they are.

oilhammer

TDI
Lots of things increase the curb weight. The safety systems alone add a bunch of weight. 6+ airbags, seat belt pretensioners, and all the sensors, wiring, and control units to work it all.

ABS/ESP... the unit alone can make for double the weight of the hydraulics of a non-ABS car.

Energy absorbing bumpers we need add weight. And the heavier the car, the more those will weight.

Then they are so heavy, along with the giant wheels and tires we need, means power steering and brakes are needed, even on small cars.

10 speakers, amplifiers, 11ty way seat adjustments (seriously, you should feel how heavy some of the SEATS are now :eek: ).

I am not saying a lot of these items haven't made for a better car in terms of creature comforts, safety, and certainly power, but it has come at a cost when it comes to fuel economy. So it really should not come as a surprise that the average fuel consumption overall has stagnated. But, like I said, it does not seem to be very high on the American consumers' list of things to worry about. Passing laws to force manufacturers to stop making something the people want will backfire. At least in the short term. Long term likely won't matter much, as more and more people will eventually become less wasteful because they have to be to survive, not because some gov't that can barely run itself tells them to. You put the stops to ANY big V8 behemoth, and rednecks will just be yanking dead ones out of yards and weeds and resurrecting them.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
The solution would be what is done is Europe - increase vehicle fuel taxes. When RUG went up to $4/gallon a few years ago everyone was more mindful of what they drove.

oilhammer

TDI
I don't think that will happen here. Every time it even gets mentioned, people start to go bananas. (I don't, I laugh... but I'm not driving a pig either).

In this country, we instead reward people for bad choices: case in point, Cash for Clunkers. People who bought a pig, that lost value quickly, and didn't take care of it, got a nice cash payout. People like me, who bought an efficient car that held its value and took care of it... got nothing beyond what I granted myself for making a wise choice in the first place. And my tax dollars went to pay for the idiots who made poor decisions. :rolleyes:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I don't think that will happen here. Every time it even gets mentioned, people start to go bananas. (I don't, I laugh... but I'm not driving a pig either).

In this country, we instead reward people for bad choices: case in point, Cash for Clunkers. People who bought a pig, that lost value quickly, and didn't take care of it, got a nice cash payout. People like me, who bought an efficient car that held its value and took care of it... got nothing beyond what I granted myself for making a wise choice in the first place. And my tax dollars went to pay for the idiots who made poor decisions. :rolleyes:
Welcome to life. You don't smoke, drink, and you exercise. You get to live longer and pay taxes on the idiots who end up on disability dying from lung and liver disease.