98 Jetta. Check engine with glow plugs both flashing

poojeen

TDI
98 jetta tdi
i just started the jetta up this morning and the glow plugs turned off, i started the car...and then they started blinking and the check engine light turned on also...
i turned it off, waited, tried again. same thing happened...
turned key, glow plugs went on an off, then started the car...
drove a bit, and both glow plugs and check engine went on.
im curious on the severity of this issue because i can't afford big repairs...

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
IIRC those cars throw that fault as well when the fuel filter is need of replacing or water seperator needs draining.

biopete

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta 1998, A4 Jetta 2001
I have flashing glow plug light on 98 Jetta when driving. I remember the A2 diesels this meant water separator needed draining. But i could not find where this is on the A3 or mention of the flashing glow plug light in the owners manual or the Bentley. But it is time to change my veggie fuel filter and maybe the stock one. What sensor is triggering this and why is this not mentioned in manual? Or did i miss it?

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
There is a list of conditions that cause the glow plug light to flash in conjunction with the check engine light available somewhere posted by MoGolf. By far the most common is the brake lights or the brake switch,
but other critical sensors can also cause it. I saw it myself when the wiring to my start-of-injection needle sensor on injector 3 came loose. You may also experience a limp mode with this condition.

Your best bet is to pull the codes and see what is causing the condition to be flagged.

Dave