TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   cranks slowly on first start of the day... (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=495804)

peterdaniel January 17th, 2019 23:38

cranks slowly on first start of the day...

183K miles
new Interstate battery correct 94R

Only on the first crank/start of the day. Temp usually 49-60 degrees.

Will always start and within 3 actual cranks, they are just very slow/labored

Starter getting old?

Anything else?

My 2003 always cranked fast and started on the first crank no matter how long it sat.

Any ideas?:confused:
Thanks!!!

Peter

Nero Morg January 17th, 2019 23:44

Parasitic draw killing the battery, or weak starter. But usually weak starter is weak all the time. I know a 01 jetta I had once upon a time would die over night, but as soon as you jump started it in the morning it was good all day long. Turned out to be an alternator that was starting to go out, but no battery light.

Metal Man January 18th, 2019 05:19

I'm going to say starter. It's pretty common for these to turn slow on the first start of the day and be fine afterwards when they are failing.

jettawreck January 18th, 2019 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Man (Post 5475338)
I'm going to say starter. It's pretty common for these to turn slow on the first start of the day and be fine afterwards when they are failing.

Yep. Typical sign of failing/tired starter. Might be worth a check for corroded/almost eroded away cable at starter end as well as the usual ground cable condition.

steve6 January 18th, 2019 07:52

Starter.

BobnOH January 18th, 2019 08:57

Just to rule it out I would put that new battery on an overnight trickle charge. Double check the big wires/connects.

But it sure interweb sounds like parasitic draw or starter.

wonneber January 19th, 2019 19:17

2x on checking the cables at the starter end.
The one going from the solenoid to inside the starter is know to corrode and not pass full power.

Metal Man January 21st, 2019 08:39

An easy way to rule out the connections is hook a set of jumper cables from the positive on the battery to the big terminal (+) on the starter if it starts normal this way then you know the starter is good and the problem is elsewhere. You can check the ground to the block the same way negative on the battery and the other end to the block.

Nevada_TDI January 22nd, 2019 12:18

All the above suggestions are right on point; when was the last time you pulled the battery tray and checked and/or cleaned the terminals?

Matt-98AHU January 25th, 2019 13:28

Easy to eliminate possibilities with a voltmeter. Measure voltage drop across the + cable during cranking, and then again across the negative cable from battery to where it connects to the bellhousing bolt, if it's a half volt or less drop, I wouldn't worry much about the connections or cables.

Then, also just measure what the battery itself drops to during cranking. If it stays above 10.5V during cranking, it's pretty healthy and I wouldn't worry much about the state of the battery. And if all the above checks out OK, by process of elimination, you just have a tired starter.