Power Service is Downsizing its Bottles

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I just bought a bottle of Power Service (grey bottle) at WalMart. Like each succecutive time I bought it, its price increased. I paid $16.47 plus tax. Here is the kicker: The bottle is smaller. It is 80 ounces and treats 250 gallons. The former size was 96 ounces and treated 300 gallons. The bottle was the same height and width, so if you glance at it on the shelf the size appeares to be unchanged. The white bottle (winter formula) is still 96 ounces (unless I was looking at old stock).

Anyone else notice this?

--Nate

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It is an effective price increase without seeming to raise prices. This is a retail tactic that has been in use for decades in retailing of any product that comes in a package.

Heck, I've even seen plastic containers in a grocery store with a punt that just about makes the package useless. They wouldn't put a clear top on it because you can see the middle of the bottom just about clearing the level of product in it.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Powder Hound said:
It is an effective price increase without seeming to raise prices. This is a retail tactic that has been in use for decades in retailing of any product that comes in a package.
Reminds me of the "shrinking" candy bar.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
what's funny is how the frontal area of the two bottles are the same. it's the bottle's depth that has been reduced. those clever bastiches!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I think tonight when I get home I will take a picture of the new and the old PS bottles side by side and post them in this thread. Yea, sneaky SoBs, making the smaller bottle look like its the same size as the previous one. Bryers Ice Cream did this TWICE over the past two years. Half a gallon to 1.75 quarts and then to 1.5 quarts and all three packages had the almost the same basic lid size! This kind of worked since most people are mathematically and volumetrically challenged.

--Nate

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I was at a self care and cosmetics products packaging plant last year (contract packager for lots of brands, ie, Mennen, Axe, Right Guard, etc). I noticed a lot of products had been labelled "Improved, New, etc". I asked the Production Manager if there were formulation changes from the suppliers (customers) and he said no, what they normally mean is that the packaging has improved or the way it comes out of the container has changed. :eek:

He said it is very rare to get a new formulation for an existing product. The manufacturers like to change the package or the filling method to make a claim to get your attention in the retail store.

Hmmmm......:confused:

phatcyclist

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5 speed
I would be in trouble without Power Service, but the bottle I have doesn't close very tight and spills every once in a while. It smells like a stinkbug just went crazy in my trunk every time it happens.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
phatcyclist said:
I would be in trouble without Power Service, but the bottle I have doesn't close very tight and spills every once in a while. It smells like a stinkbug just went crazy in my trunk every time it happens.
THat's why I DON'T carry open containers in the car any more - it gives me a severe headache in short order....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
HDPE cat litter container is where all my additive stuff resides in the trunk.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I am not surprised. Food packaging has gotten smaller over the past year. It's finding it's way to all the products we use.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
They have been like that for a while-at least 3-4 months or more.I'll have to check my shelf to see what size bottles I have.I bought 2 last time at Tractor Supply w/ a 25% off coupon-ended up being just over $9 each bottle.They are cheapest-around $12.50 or so for the big jug.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
tdidieselbobny said:
They have been like that for a while-at least 3-4 months or more.I'll have to check my shelf to see what size bottles I have.I bought 2 last time at Tractor Supply w/ a 25% off coupon-ended up being just over $9 each bottle.They are cheapest-around $12.50 or so for the big jug.
More. I got a 250 gallon jug of the winter formula back in November.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
scooperhsd said:
THat's why I DON'T carry open containers in the car any more - it gives me a severe headache in short order....
Hmmm, I kinda like the smell of it! :D

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Got mine sitting in an ice cream bucket in one corner of the trunk. Right along with the glass measuring cup and the roll of paper towels.

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
Got myself some 5oz baby bottles from the dollar store and a $10 tool bag from Home Depot. Fill the bottles, place the bottles in a paper towel lined plastic cup then put the plastic cups in the tool bag. The baby bottles stay sealed and if some does leak out, it's absorbed by the paper towels. Best part, I have 4 pre-measured PS ready to go at the diesel pump.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
6 8oz juice bottle and a gallon sized ziplock bag stored in the trunk pocket works for me

BioPassat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW Passat GL TDI
B20 blend...

I used to use Power Service (PS) with every fill up of B20, but decided that the Biodiesel was a good enough alternative as it is for increased cetane? If I fill up without any Biodiesel, I'll use some Power Service.

What do you guys think? :confused:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
BioPassat said:
I used to use Power Service (PS) with every fill up of B20, but decided that the Biodiesel was a good enough alternative as it is for increased cetane? If I fill up without any Biodiesel, I'll use some Power Service.

What do you guys think? :confused:
I think I'd use some PS anyway.... just in case I ever got a sketchy batch of bio.

jetdiknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 tdi
too bad.

We should send a picture of new versus old power service bottles to Consumer Reports... whose last page is dedicated to all sorts of mislabeling or sneaky down sizing by manufacturers.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
RUSHtheBUS said:
Got myself some 5oz baby bottles from the dollar store and a $10 tool bag from Home Depot. Fill the bottles, place the bottles in a paper towel lined plastic cup then put the plastic cups in the tool bag. The baby bottles stay sealed and if some does leak out, it's absorbed by the paper towels. Best part, I have 4 pre-measured PS ready to go at the diesel pump.
This is a great idea, will check the dollar store next time I am near one. Does anyone else know where to source empty bottles that will hold 5 ounces or so?

y2kbird

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Black Jetta, '03 Blue Jetta
LiLredTDI said:
This is a great idea, will check the dollar store next time I am near one. Does anyone else know where to source empty bottles that will hold 5 ounces or so?
6pks of the short 10oz glass 'deli style' coca cola bottles are still sold in many markets, seems that upscale hotels like to serve them. the caps twist back on very tight and I've never had a glass bottle distort from the sun/heat. holds two powerservice fill ups and it's pretty easy to tell when you've poured half in your tank...

PaPa Bulldog

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta Boost Master
Leo819 said:
I am not surprised. Food packaging has gotten smaller over the past year. It's finding it's way to all the products we use.
Potato chip bags are the worst!!! Half a bag of air. Don't know about you guys but I dont' pay for air!!! If I had a somewhat flat tire, and had to put in .75C at a fill up station I would drive across, or into another town to find a free compressor:mad:

Cheers,

Papa Bulldog ( Bart )

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Handy measuring/storage bottle

I use an old container of STABIL [fuel stabilizer] for storage of PS. For dispensing it has a 1 oz section of the container, so you can pour 1 oz at a time. It also fits next to the spare tire out of site. Works great for me.