Vacuum tubing

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
What lengths and diameters do I need to replace all my B4/1Z vacuum hoses?
Also, the fuel hoses from the IP to the injectors.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
5/16 inches and 1/4 inches for the fuel line, I want to say 1/8 inch for vacuum but I could be wrong.

moroza

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat sedan
Search Button gives conflicting answers.

I used about 3.5 meters of 3mm, and 1 meter of 5mm. This was enough for all vacuum lines including the one inside the ECU, but I don't think it includes the recirculation valve (for the cabin air, not EGR). I used silicone which is fairly stretchy, so my diameters may be slightly off.

Be very careful removing the blue hose to the wastegate actuator. It's hard to reach, even harder to see, and I broke the nipple off the actuator, then spent a while removing and repairing it.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Thanks! I assume the 5mm is for the fuel lines?
All hoses are gone (total restoration & rebuild engine. Will be fun figuring out what connects where :)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
5mm is for the EGR valve to N18 connection and vents to the air box.
I don't think that the VW braided vacuum hoses are diesel fuel compatible.
They have a special one denoted with a yellowish stripe on the braiding for the injector return lines...at least the ones that I have seen.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
VW braided vacuum line will not stand up to diesel fuel as mentioned above. You need the special yellow stripe stuff for sure there.

5 and 7mm fuel lines come in smooth skin too if needed. Might be wise to talk to a VW parts guy or a smart independent locally.

JETaah

TDI
VW's part number for return lines is 059130329

http://www.dbwllc.net/product/059-130-329-braided-fuel-line-rmebiodiesel-rated/
Maybe the yellow stripe is meant to be compatible with biodiesel as well as D2...Don't know. I don't see the stripe in the pictures, though.

The return lines that Kerma/DBW has sent me with the injector rebuilds in the last few years has always had the yellow stripe. It is faint but, it is there.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Questions:
* The white plastic vacuum line on the right of the engine goes to? Heater core?
* The vacuum line from the ECU goes to? Intake manifold?
* Black plastic line/rubber line goes from N18 to vacuum pump?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I see no nipple on the intercooler piping?
And where does the intake nipple go to then?

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
This is my intake. The European one has the EGR valve bolted to it, not one part like the US.

JETaah

TDI
You are right...intake manifold in your case.
So much smarter to make the EGR a separate part.

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Thanks!
EGR is easy to block also. Removed one metal pipe between the valve and the exhaust manifold, blanking plates on both ends, and voila, done! EGR still operates, so no codes :)

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I've adjusted my diagram to reflect the remarks.
One more question, if the intercooler pipe/intake goes to the ECU, doesn't it clog the ECU sensor with dirt/oil?

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
It can transfer intake oil if there is a leak in the ECU hose as there quite often is. If there isn't then it is a lesser concern because it just compresses a column of boosted air in the hose....no significant flow.
The turbo to N75 to wastegate hoses do fill with intake oil and that becomes more of a clogging issue. Gravity helps the oil residue make it's way to the wastegate actuator being that it is the lowest component in the control system.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I've adjusted my diagram to reflect the remarks.
One more question, if the intercooler pipe/intake goes to the ECU, doesn't it clog the ECU sensor with dirt/oil?
Unless there's a leak nothing actually travels through the hose. There may be a tiny bit of ingress where the hose meets the intake but oil etc shouldn't find its way more than an inch up the tube, if that. The same column of air stays in there getting squished with pressure then springing back.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you are concerned about oil migration ( I had quite a bit of accumulated oil in my WG actuator) then install a "drip leg" to catch the oil.

Common in natural gas piping to install a redundant leg to catch water and prevent it from entering into sensitive equipment.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
FWIW the wastegate actuator has a fair bit of volume to fill, hence the oil migrating through the pressure line. The MAP sensor on the other hand has virtually none.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk