Engine died while driving, cranks, doesn't start

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Worked last night on my car (installed new headliner). When I was done, tried to start the engine, the battery was weakened (could hear the relays clicking under the dashboard). Jump started the car, I drove for like 30 seconds, the car died in the middle of an intersection. Tried to turn the engine on, cranks but no start. Pushed in a parking lot, friend that helped me jump start it came back, tried to jump start it again, cranks healthy but no start.
Scanned with VCDS, no errors.
Dashboards light are coming on (Including glow plug and check engine, I assume relay 109 is working.
I also assume it's not an immobilizer issue, since the car cranks.
Fuel pump relay?
In tank fuel pump?
Maybe the jump start toasted something (still, VCDS scan comes clear)
I'm going to see if the fuel pump works via VCDS testing.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Worked last night on my car (installed new headliner). When I was done, tried to start the engine, the battery was weakened (could hear the relays clicking under the dashboard). Jump started the car, I drove for like 30 seconds, the car died in the middle of an intersection. Tried to turn the engine on, cranks but no start. Pushed in a parking lot, friend that helped me jump start it came back, tried to jump start it again, cranks healthy but no start.

Scanned with VCDS, no errors.

Dashboards light are coming on (Including glow plug and check engine, I assume relay 109 is working.

I also assume it's not an immobilizer issue, since the car cranks.

Fuel pump relay?

In tank fuel pump?

Maybe the jump start toasted something (still, VCDS scan comes clear)

I'm going to see if the fule pump works via VCDS testing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

My gut is the battery ... simple but time and time again it seems to fix the problem and is often over thunk

VWs do not like weak batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Not my gut, but my experience agrees. VWs do odd things with undercharged batteries.
Replacement? Experience also dictates OEM...warranty almost equal to other batteries, probably around $150...

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
The battery is less than one year old, OEM, the one for diesel engine. Last night I had the battery connected to my friend's running car for like an hour. Was cranking just fine, no start. Went back today to the parking lot where I ditched it last night. Took apart the lower driver dash board, tried to figure out which one is the fuel pump relay, no luck. Took the rear seat bench out, disconnected the fuel pump connector to check for 12V while cranking. Connected the voltmeter to the disconnected fuel pump connector, my friend started to crank the car, with the connector removed the car started to run after 2 sets of 5 seconds cranking. I panicked and put the fuel pump connector back in. It runs for now. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thank you for advice. Ruined Easter avoided.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
So maybe the fuel pump connector wasn't making contact?
Hope you've found your problem!

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
So maybe the fuel pump connector wasn't making contact?
Hope you've found your problem!
I'm not even sure what to think anymore: the car was not starting with the fuel pump connector in place, but it started right after I've removed the connector from the fuel pump. I'm confused to say the least. Based on the looks of it, I doubt that anybody touched the fuel pump connector during the life of the car. It seems to be well secured in its place.

Last edited: