TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   OBD Scanners (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What VCDS ? (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389706)

WolfgangVW July 11th, 2013 12:18

Hi all. So i'm thinking of getting vcds scanner. Anyone recommend which product(s) to buy? I notice they have several products. I am just looking to do routine maintenance and repairs for my own car..
Thanks in advance!:p
Oh also can you run generic OBD2 scans with the vcds?? For example could i scan my 2000 chevy if the cel came on?

Santos_V July 11th, 2013 12:31

What is VCDS?

Ross-Tech offers VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System) to turn your Windows Desktop or Laptop PC into a powerful diagnostic tool for VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda from 1990 through the latest models. VCDS is able to perform the same diagnostic functions as the factory scan tools. Unlike Generic OBD-II scanners, VCDS allows you to access all of the diagnostics-capable modules in those vehicles including Airbags (SRS), ABS Brakes, Instrument Cluster, etc.

Interface recommendations will vary based on vehicle. If you are only looking to work with your 2003 Jetta, the KII-USB will suffice:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

The KII-USB will also work on non CAN based VW/Audi (roughly 1990 to 2005 depending on vehicle type)

If you would like to have support for your vehicle and other VW/Audi up to current model year, The HEX-USB+CAN is recommended:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

WolfgangVW July 11th, 2013 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santos_V (Post 4238296)
Interface recommendations will vary based on vehicle. If you are only looking to work with your 2003 Jetta, the KII-USB will suffice:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html

The KII-USB will also work on non CAN based VW/Audi (roughly 1990 to 2005 depending on vehicle type)

If you would like to have support for your vehicle and other VW/Audi up to current model year, The HEX-USB+CAN is recommended:

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

Excellent thanks! That's just what i needed to know!!

compu_85 July 11th, 2013 13:02

I'll make this a sticky :)

-J

Santos_V July 11th, 2013 14:49

Thanks, I'll continue answering any other VCDS related "sales" questions in this thread as needed. Just Ask!

rcracer August 4th, 2013 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santos_V (Post 4238387)
Thanks, I'll continue answering any other VCDS related "sales" questions in this thread as needed. Just Ask!

Howdy! :)

When one sells their HEX-USB+CAN Interface, how :confused: does the license "transfer" to the new owner? I may sell mine.

Thanks! :D

JSWTDI09 August 4th, 2013 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcracer (Post 4259641)
When one sells their HEX-USB+CAN Interface, how :confused: does the license "transfer" to the new owner? I may sell mine.

That's kind of a yes and no thing. Yes, the license transfers in the sense that the buyer will be able to use and update their copy of VCDS. What does not transfer is the registration. Since the buyer is not the "registered" owner of the interface cable, they cannot get the same level of direct tech support from Ross-Tech. If tech support is not needed, this is not a big deal. The official "registration" can be transferred to the buyer (new owner) for $99.

The license for the program (the dongle) transfers with the cable, but the direct tech support afforded to the registered owner does not transfer with the cable.

Have Fun!

Don

rcracer August 4th, 2013 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 4259657)
That's kind of a yes and no thing. Yes, the license transfers in the sense that the buyer will be able to use and update their copy of VCDS. What does not transfer is the registration. Since the buyer is not the "registered" owner of the interface cable, they cannot get the same level of direct tech support from Ross-Tech. If tech support is not needed, this is not a big deal. The official "registration" can be transferred to the buyer (new owner) for $99.

The license for the program (the dongle) transfers with the cable, but the direct tech support afforded to the registered owner does not transfer with the cable.

Have Fun!

Don

Thanks Don!

So, basically, one can get a mint condition [HEX-USB+CAN Interface] dongle WITH tech support for the amount of the dongle [$___] and $99. :D

What have most been selling their dongles :eek: for?

Thanks!

:)

JSWTDI09 August 4th, 2013 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcracer (Post 4259666)

What have most been selling their dongles :eek: for?

A search in the for sale forum will probably give you the latest, but this seems to depend a bit on who you sell it to. Prices are often higher here than on the vortex. I have never sold one, so I can't tell you what they sell for, but the asking price (here) for a $249 (microCAN or HEX-USB) is often around $175 and the $350 ones (HEX+CAN) usually ask between $250 and $275. I do not know how much haggling occurs in these sales.

Have Fun!

Don

rcracer August 4th, 2013 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 (Post 4259691)
A search in the for sale forum will probably give you the latest...the $350 ones (HEX+CAN) usually ask between $250 and $275. I do not know how much haggling occurs in these sales.

Have Fun!

Don

Thank you! :D

rc

Rico567 August 20th, 2013 04:16

Now that I've got a netbook set up for it, it appears that Ross-Tech may be bringing out a platform-independent version of VCDS this Fall that will run on phones, tablets, etc. No word on if it's going to be as capable as the regular version that plugs into the car via a cable- guess I'll wait and see.

JSWTDI09 August 20th, 2013 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico567 (Post 4274377)
Now that I've got a netbook set up for it, it appears that Ross-Tech may be bringing out a platform-independent version of VCDS this Fall that will run on phones, tablets, etc. No word on if it's going to be as capable as the regular version that plugs into the car via a cable- guess I'll wait and see.

VCDS "Mobile" is a Wi-Fi device with an HTML output. Any device with Wi-Fi and a web browser will work as a control device. It should have the exact same capabilities as the "standard" wired version. The two big unanswered questions are:
1) When will it be available to buy?
2) What will it cost? and Will there be an "upgrade" deal for current VCDS owners?

(oops, I guess that's 3 really questions)

Have Fun!

Don

Rico567 August 20th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for the info.....as I have no immediate need for VCDS (the car is still very new), I suppose I'll wait and see what develops. We are pretty much universally an Apple-device household, and having a Wi-Fi device that will work with anything seems a whole lot better to me than a dongle / cable that's going to be tied to a Dell netbook, because if it fails for some reason, there goes your system.

bherman13 September 16th, 2013 08:53

I bought a KII-USB cable for my 97 Passat TDI. My girlfriend might be picking up a 2006 Jetta TDI soon and I would like to know if my VCDS cable will work for her car. The Ross-Tech compatibility chart was confusing to me.

Thank you.

JSWTDI09 September 16th, 2013 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by bherman13 (Post 4299940)
I bought a KII-USB cable for my 97 Passat TDI. My girlfriend might be picking up a 2006 Jetta TDI soon and I would like to know if my VCDS cable will work for her car. The Ross-Tech compatibility chart was confusing to me.

Thank you.

2005.5 and newer Jettas are CAN bus cars. Therefore, your KII-USB cable will not work completely. It will probably be able to talk to the engine controller, but not the rest of the car. If you are the registered owner of your KII-USB, Ross-Tech does have an trade-iin/upgrade deal available. To be able to talk with both VWs you will need a HEX+CAN interface cable.

Have Fun!

Don