Winter grill cover to A6 Jetta sedans?

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Does anyone know of anyone who offers a grill cover for the A6 Jetta sedans to speed warmups? Or have any good ideas to speed warmup when it's cold, getting to be that time of year again.

solid19snake

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6MT (sold)
Does anyone know of anyone who offers a grill cover for the A6 Jetta sedans to speed warmups? Or have any good ideas to speed warmup when it's cold, getting to be that time of year again.
On 11/12/13, Greg from ID Parts replied to my inquiry:
"We will be receiving the MKVI winter fronts next week."

They're not available on the website, so I'm not sure if they have received them yet.

grey matter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Trendline DSG
Grill cover

A member suggested 1/2 inch foam plumbing insulation (comes in 3 foot lengths for about 80 cents) Worked great on my 04 Jetta. Still haven't perfected on the 13' Tends to fly off on the highway LOL. Must be the different front shape. If you can get to stay on, it works great and its cheap. Keeps the rocks and salt out too. At least till they get the proper front covers.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
I'll check with ID Parts. Noticed that they had them for JSW's and Golfs, so will check back and inquire. Have to slide it by the finance manager who says, "that if it needed on it should have come with it." Maybe VW will bring out a "winter kit" with a shuttered grill like some big rigs have. That'd cost a pile no doubt.

TDI<wagen>

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon, 6MT, pano, leather, media package
I am going to try this foam plumbing insulation trick on my GSW too. Can't afford IDparts covers and they don't look well on the top grill anyways.

nullsignature

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Premium w/ Nav
Do you really need this? Don't MKVIs already have an electric heater for warming up cabin air? And won't the engine stop coolant from flowing to the radiator until it reaches operating temperature? I can't see any benefit of a grille cover. In fact, I imagine you'd run more risk of overheating.

Last edited:

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That's what I'm thinking as well (is it really required). How cold are we talking? -20* applications, maybe?

canada_man

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Highline w/Fender & Nav
I also ordered one. I was hoping to get one last winter but they didn't have any made. Any thoughts on how this might impact a regen... particularly if you shutdown mid-regen and the fans are required to keep it cool?

Sorry if this has been asked...

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I also ordered one. I was hoping to get one last winter but they didn't have any made. Any thoughts on how this might impact a regen... particularly if you shutdown mid-regen and the fans are required to keep it cool?
Sorry if this has been asked...
Well I was one of the lucky one's last winter as I ordered very early. I had no problems what so ever with over heating or dpf regens. I removed it sometime in March or April , not sure.. I also use a frost heater and the last polar vortex winter was a piece of cake. Granted the car was very new at the time. Just put it on, it only takes a few minutes and removal if necessary is even faster. I had fast warm up times and good cabin heat and defrost. I think it was a good investment.......it also kept all that salt, slush and other winter crud away from the radiator and inter cooler.

Jguzman1990

TDI
Mkvi jetta
I just posted something recently about faster warm up times.... As someone here suggested, I replaced my stock TDI grille with a Hybrid one. I felt that it made a huge improvement in warm up times and, IMO, looks much better. Someone on that thread also suggested covering the lower grille, which I never thought of.

redneck47441

TDI
2014 Jetta
I installed the lower cover tonight and can not seem to figure out how to snap the velcro. Will I need to drop the oil pan skid plate to get behind the lower grill to snap the velcro?

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
My cover shipped out on Tues from diparts. Expect to see it early next week.
IMO blocking cold air flow to IC in cold temps will help prevent chance of IC icing and or water ingestion by keeping IAT warmer. I plan to use it from now till March next year.

The upper piece I will use in the severe cold temps and monitor as nec.

gojira

TDI
2014 JSW * 2
How do the idparts covers attach - is it velcro or some other method? I'm thinking about putting something on my and my wife's JSWs.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
there is a link to a video a couple places up.

http://post.idparts.com/ also linked to from here.

combination of velcro and velcro tape that sticks to the plastic grille (out of sight pretty much) once you clean any wax or oil off.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
How do the idparts covers attach - is it velcro or some other method? I'm thinking about putting something on my and my wife's JSWs.

I put my lower cover on this morning.

the lower cover has three places where velcro attaches. just have to manipulate with your finger to fish the top part back through the grille and then press to the bottom of the cover.

that being said, the lower cover leaves the top and bottom slots mostly free for air to circulate.

seems like i had more closed off last winter with some half inch foam pipe insulation.

EDIT: Never mind. my front is different than yours.

Last edited:

icy hwy

TDI
2014 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wrecked
The postman delivered an idparts winter front on Saturday. Sure was a quick easy installation. Works very well in conjunction with the frostheater. Warm air in couple miles at +9 f.