UltraGauge

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
Since I am new to the TDI world and will soon have my first TDI on the road, one question or concern I have is has anyone used or have any experience with UltraGuage since I see a lot about ScanGauge.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I bought one a coup;e years ago when I got my second TDI. Ended up leaving it in the Suburban and bought another SG. Didn't like it, wasn't very accurate in fuel mileage, pain to switch between modes, etc. One day the mount came off the windshield and fell down into the door hinge area. When I shut the 'burb's door it was all over for the UltraGauge.
RIP.
Buy the SG.

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
I thought I tried a search before posting my own and found mostly SC stuff. Recent research reflects the new and improved UltraGauge and discounted price has some preferring it over the Scangauge.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38140

Those who I have talked to that own a TDI mentioned wanting to get such a tool and Scangauge was top on that list but due to the cost they decided not to purchase but has considered the UltraGauge.

For those who don't have any future plans to purchase a Hybrid, a feature the ScanGauge has and UltraGauge lacks, for the money, ease and multi-gauge per sceen features I am leaning towards the UltraGauge. So before I jump in with both feet like I did with my 1st TDI (Not regretting it at all by the way) :D I thought I would check around and see what others may have to say.

Thanks for the input jettawreck.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I hadn't broke the UG screen when it got crunched in the Suburbans door hinge when it was cold, I'ld still use it in that vehicle. It was useful to monitor some engine funtions, especially when towing. When you set the screen to the things you were most interested in, it worked OK, but changing screens, or data fields on the move were very frustrating/distracting.
When I had it in the '03 Jetta, before I bought another SG, the mpg feature never got very accurate. If I recall, it based that on mostly MAF reading calculations vs amount of fuel injected/stroke. It may have been more accurate in gas powered vehicles, although never really got it dialed in on the Suburban either, but in fairness, the driving patterns for that vary greatly. Anywhere from 18mpg hiway to 8 (or less) depending on what what I'm towing and where.

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A8 with 1.2 TDI VW Lupo 3L --> 2L (retired)
I would go for the ultragauge just for the functions. you can set alarms to each value and there are more values possible. I have installed few to my customer cars.

Agent V

TDI
Eurovan
How do they estimate the fuel consumption ?? I run a TDI with EGR and MAF delete. Will the Ultragauge and Scangauge work without the information coming out of the MAF???

Thanks

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How do they estimate the fuel consumption ?? I run a TDI with EGR and MAF delete. Will the Ultragauge and Scangauge work without the information coming out of the MAF???

Thanks
I don't think the UG will work correctly for mileage w/o MAF readings.
SG should as it uses amount squirted per stroke to compute the mileage, or that is my understanding.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
I don't think the UG will work correctly for mileage w/o MAF readings.
SG should as it uses amount squirted per stroke to compute the mileage, or that is my understanding.
I thought the SG also looked at the MAF figures? (as per this post). I also seem to vaguely remember people reporting that their SC gave random numbers when they were having MAF problems.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought the SG also looked at the MAF figures? (as per this post). I also seem to vaguely remember people reporting that their SC gave random numbers when they were having MAF problems.
It (SG) does use MAF data and changing MAFs will change mileage figures, but I believe its only a part of the calulation/equation. I never got "random" numbers, but they were quite different when switching/unplugging the MAF. Same as when you adapt the EGR. That really throws the mpg numbers off.

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
Currently I am in " Calibration " mode with my UltraGauge and is currently setup to use MAF (Auto mode) so I am not sure how accurate it will be. I can say it is really off right now as its stating I am getting 18.4 MPG and just last night the DTE alarm came on and I am at 7/8 of a tank.:D

Last edited:

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
*** UPDATE ***
Just finished my first calibration and can't say how accurate it is yet but its far closer to what I was expecting. Now the DTE is reflecting closer to my last full tank (685 miles) and MPG readings are closer to actual. Details to follow. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Yep,

I do believe I have created a monster... Just look at that Sig line :D

altho you forgot your full metal jacket! and your floor mats & trunk liner...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine

Thanks

How well does your TDI "run" with the MAF delete?

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
I am currently running all stock and haven't removed the EGR components. For details on how UltraGuage is working with the EGR system removed, ask Growler. Currently our UltraGauge are using MAF for its calculations and since our first calibration entries, things are looking much better. Time will tell... either way the UltraGauge will work with or without the EGR. It's also my understanding using the MAF is more accurate than using the MAP for calculations.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I still have mine and it is now hooked up to my 2015 GSW DSG.

It does not show boost on this car, but it does tell me the EGT numbers (so I can see when a regen is happening) and the coolant temperatue, I am using it for those functions.

up until april of this year I had it plugged into one of my two ALHs since I got it and it always worked just fine. once you get past the initial calibration process, it just works and stayed pretty accurate for my needs. I always kept good track of my tank mileage on Fuelly and the UG was always within an acceptable tolerance when I was paying attention (mostly during calibration and the occasional tank spot check)

it did get to the point where resetting it every tankful was a bit of a hassle (not sure if it would be an issue on your 2012 jetta, the UG may pick up that the tank got refilled from that car) so I just let it turn into a "lifetime average" and a short trip average.

FWIW its half price or so of an Scangage, but on my 2015 common rail engine I cannot get boost info and since my dash already has one inacurrate MPG counter, I havent felt like messing with a second one to get it accurate.. yet.

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
Can't believe its been this long but Yes, I still like my UG. After the initial calibration process as Growler mentioned, it just works and stays pretty accurate for my needs also.

I haven't been so good about using Fuelly to kept good track of my tank mileage but I have an app that does and its pretty close. It does everything I need it to do and to date is still providing me read outs.... :p)

DenCon509

TDI
'06 Beetle
I have the UG Blue (BT/Android). I have had several go-'rounds with calibration with unsatisfactory results. :-(
The UG always worked well with my gas vehicles, but not with my '06 Beetle TDI. I'm back to calculating MPG the old fashioned way and that's been fine.
I just wish I could get accurate MPG numbers with it; it's fun having the other gauges and the ability to customize them.

glassman

TDI
1996 b4 tdi wagon, 1997 glx/tdi wagon
I love my Ultragauge. It was a real pain to set up properly--you have to follow the directions to the letter, even when they seem nonsensical--but since I got it set up, it's been great. I love the accurate engine temp readout, speed/rpm, etc. And my mpg readings are accurate and consistent over 2 years, in my 97 Passat glx/96tdi wagon.