TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

Sprocket August 6th, 2009 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
And before you ask, no you cannot replace the old chain drive sprocket on the crankshaft...it is not available as a seperate part on ANY of the VAG engines. It is part of the crankshaft itself.

Sounds expensive.

oilhammer August 6th, 2009 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprocket
Sounds expensive.

BHW crankshaft: 03G-105-021-A, VW list price $1092.50 :cool:

BleachedBora August 6th, 2009 10:16

Well I'm happy to report that out of 8 replacement kits I had sent to me 7 of them were correct. Take that for what you will, but no matter what source gurus/customers get them from check and make sure it's right. We're obviously keeping a watchful eye on these now since we originally found the problem.
Cheers,
-BB

ctsoh August 6th, 2009 14:24

I tried writing to VW about the issue and this is what was returned to me:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the chain driven oil pump concern you have read about with B5.5 Passats. Our cars are engineered to provide an exceptional blend of style and performance, and I am sorry for the dissatisfaction this information has caused you. I understand you would like to know if we have any information regarding this issue, and I am more than happy to follow-up with you.

Online forums are a useful tool for customers to vent frustration and share information; however, if customers do not bring this to our attention through established channels such as the Customer CARE Center, we are unable to determine if a concern requires further research. While I do not have any information on this issue, I have added your comments to the file previously established for you so that we may have a record of your experience. I apologize as I am unable to provide further information.

As a member of the Volkswagen family, your questions are important to us. Again, thank you for your e-mail. If I may be of future assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com, or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If I am not available, one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.

[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']Sincerely,[/font]

Joshua Beausoleil
Ext. 43697
Customer CARE Advocate

Also, when I complained that my CV Boots failed early, they had no information that it had
ever happened to any other customer. I bet if the rest of you write, you will also be told that it's the first time they ever heard of it. Erin Brokovich, where are you?

TheGrove August 6th, 2009 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilhammer
The problem with this method is that you are still faced with the worn sprocket on the crankshaft. And I have a car here right now I replaced the old chain/etc. on only 40k miles ago, and it is already getting pretty noisy. :(

*2 :(:(

Mine is closing in on 40k as well and I can tell it is getting noisier. Can't wait until the 1st weekend in October!:)

oilhammer August 7th, 2009 04:17

Looking forward to it! :)

chittychittybangbang August 7th, 2009 17:53

"If the intermediate gear has a white dot, that dot must be positioned centrally in line with the

crankshaft. If no white dot, the position of the gear does not matter."

My balance shaft gear has a white dot. In the .pdf writeup there's a blue dot shown on this gear pointing at the intermediate gear. What is the significance of this dot?

oilhammer August 9th, 2009 10:09

Disregard the dot(s). They don't apply. Every one of these I have seen has the coating all around the gear.

Passat-powerstroke August 17th, 2009 23:21

Hi All!
Ive been a member here for a year but really hadnt done much looking.
(I was at the Wisconsin meet-up a couple years back)
A friend of mine alerted me to this thread and WOW! Ive got the same engine as in the youtube vid #2 a few pages back.
Yea its knock, knock, knockin on heavens door for sure.
Funny thing is(if youd call it funny) my wife alerted me to all the symptoms previously described here and it never struck me that it could result in major engine failure. NOW IM REALLY SCARED!
So the 2005 Passat w/ 175k is parked and there it will stay untill I can get this sorted.

First Id like to thank all of you for your input and alerting me to this and how great the exchanges have really been throughout this thread.

Im wondering if anyone can recomend a local guru to get this done at.
My location is Des Plaines Illinois, near Chicago.
I REALLY dont want to go to the dealer unless THERES NO OTHER WAY.

This car (spare this episode) has been FANTASTIC with only a 384 relay going bad, that one of you posted a thread troubleshooting it.
I initially took it to the dealer and they wanted 250.00 flat to check out the entire A/C system and more if "they have to cut into the wiring harness to fix a short"
I diagnosed it in 2 mins with another friends relay and fixed it for 54.00 for a new dealer part relay. (cut into the wiring harness??? Really???)
THANK YOU TDICLUB!

Anyhow, if anyone of you could "nudge" me in a direction it would be most appreciated! I can post vid of the before and after and part pics as well.
Its really odd but after listening to that vid I can hear the chain slappin around in my motor now. (maybe just my paranoia?)

THANK YOU in advance for any help you can offer!

Tim

oilhammer August 18th, 2009 04:13

Take a trip down here, I'd be happy to take care of it for you.

Sprocket August 18th, 2009 05:45

Go to St. Louis and have it done by a professional who also owns the same car. It was definitely worth the drive from Detroit.

leicaman August 18th, 2009 07:17

I agree take it to Oilhammer. Your car will thank you. My car has been wonderful since he went through mine. A better place to have this fixed just isn't there. Trailer the car if you need to, just don't drive it so it blows up on you, please. It will cost you a lot more if it blows.

leicaman August 18th, 2009 07:26

The original TPI for those of you who want to know:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/BHW...I-original.pdf

You tube videos of mine. Ignore the visual distortion in the videos. Pay attention to the sounds. Use headphones if need be.

Here is a trio of you tubes I have created to document my Passat's Oil Pump Chain Noise. Engine was warm after a 20 mile trip. Same Camera, same fps, etc. We now have three videos. One at 44k, one at 56k and one post-op at 57k.

This was taken with 44,444 on the clock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0WMgcDJfqI
This The car prior to BS surgery in May 2009 with 56,000 on the clock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQx3sj6_Fk
This is a post-op recording June 2009 at 57,000 of my Passat after Oilhammer
did the conversion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTQIaK-cwD4

Look at the start of this thread for more basic information and links.

engineerorange August 18th, 2009 08:06

Wish us Luck!

Tomorrow morning we will start the ~700 mile trek down the yellow brick road to see the wizard. :D We will be counting on our 2005 Passat to deliver us to STL with 65,000 miles on the clock, chain driven balance shafts, original alternator pulley, and 5 year old belts and hoses. I have given the car the once over and she's as ready as she's ever gonna be with that ticking time bomb under the hood.

We will be traveling through Knoxville, TN, Lexington, KY to spend the night with friends and then westward to the promised land.

Can't wait for Friday afternoon and the sweet sound of chainlessness when the wizard opens the curtain.

aja8888 August 18th, 2009 08:15

FWIW: Get the alternator pulley changed while OH has it apart. My alternator failed at 71K.