TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   VW B5 Passat TDIs (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=233651)

aja8888 February 21st, 2009 07:46

Joell: fax the document MOGolf referenced to the VW parts department and MAYBE they will understand.:rolleyes:

pgoes February 21st, 2009 08:05

Dealers who have access to the European TSB's should be able to find the parts bulletin included in the PDF. My mechanic found it there, but not on the VWOA info.

tomo366 February 21st, 2009 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joell
To those who have worked diligently in repairing and educating the TDI owners on the issue of BS modification I would like to ask if there is a VW Part number of some sort of numerical reference to the new replacement gear drive assembly. I have contacted two VW dealerships here in central PA and one major dealer in Maryland and all three deny any knowledge of the BS issue. They have absolutely no information in their computer of parts needed for the modification.
If any of the techs who are doing these modifications have an official VW parts number or list could you please post it?
Thank you!

World Impex.com in Maryland sells the complete Kit.

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by_...tegory_id=1570

Joell February 21st, 2009 13:14

Thanks once again for all the input. I pitty those BHW owners who are not members of this fine group.

Scott_DeWitt February 21st, 2009 13:30

The balance shaft modules ordered from Advanced Automotion are in stock and shipping on Monday. Thanks for your patronage.

MOGolf February 21st, 2009 13:34

The Impex informatoin was already noted in the first post. I have added a reference to Advanced Automation to that post.

rydogg February 23rd, 2009 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_DeWitt
The balance shaft modules ordered from Advanced Automotion are in stock and shipping on Monday. Thanks for your patronage.

Scott,
I checked out your website but didn't see any BS assemblies available. Can you provide the link?

Scott_DeWitt February 23rd, 2009 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydogg
Scott,
I checked out your website but didn't see any BS assemblies available. Can you provide the link?

Please PM or email. I havn't had a chance to put it on the site yet.

leicaman February 26th, 2009 22:10

If you have broadband, please PM me as I have a 108 photo slide show of Oilhammer doing a BS gear conversion on BadgerFan's 05 TDI. I really don't want to post the link and I will send you a link if you PM me. The photos were taken by BadgerFan.

This set of images will really tell you that you don't want just anybody other than a first rate shop or guru doing this procedure!

TDIJetta99 February 27th, 2009 00:20

I took a bunch of pictures of one of the ones I did as well, but I haven't had the chance to edit and upload them just yet..

johnboy00 February 27th, 2009 08:18

Since there are a lot of parts being replaced in the BS module upgrade, is it a good idea to do the next oil change at a shorter interval, say 5,000 miles, instead of waiting a full 10,000 miles?

sschnath February 27th, 2009 08:42

Just got a welcome call from the dealer. All my parts are in. Taking the car in at 7:30 Monday morning for timing belt/BS/glow plugs. Expect to pick it up Tuesday night if all goes well.

I'm going to attempt to make an audio recording of the before (it's become quite loud - I can hear it in the cabin now with windows up) and after and I'll post it here, along with the pertinent cost data, sometime next week. Then I'll be sending my letters to NHTSA and VW after that.

I was told that if the glow plugs come out clean, they'll waive the labor on that part of the installation. Fingers crossed.

sschnath February 27th, 2009 11:05

After looking at Leicaman's photos (nice job on the slideshow, BTW), I'm going to make sure they check the motor mounts while they're in there.

Anyone have any idea what the life expectancy of the alternator is? With it all apart and with 200K on the car, I'm wondering if I should have that replaced as well. With what I'm spending, I'd rather wait another 100K if I could but will the alternator make it that far?

Sprocket February 27th, 2009 15:17

I'd have the alternator pulley changed out with the new design at this point.

leicaman February 27th, 2009 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by sschnath
After looking at Leicaman's photos (nice job on the slideshow, BTW), I'm going to make sure they check the motor mounts while they're in there.

Anyone have any idea what the life expectancy of the alternator is? With it all apart and with 200K on the car, I'm wondering if I should have that replaced as well. With what I'm spending, I'd rather wait another 100K if I could but will the alternator make it that far?

I want you to make sure to give credit to BadgerFan for the photos. I merely assembled them into a slide show. He should get credit because BadgerFan sports a lighter wallet!