TDIClub Forums

TDIClub Forums (http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php)
-   TDI Fuel Economy (http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sound Off on Current Diesel Price (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=136525)

Anomious November 1st, 2018 16:43

$3.01 today in Baltimore...

I remember $.259!!

93celicaconv November 1st, 2018 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93celicaconv (Post 5453592)
So what has happened in the US causing diesel prices to be higher than regular unleaded? Years ago in the US, diesel was always lower than regular unleaded, just as it was in Europe. Why did prices flip/flop in the US?

This was the context of my question - what changed? US & Europe diesel were both lower than gasoline/petrol. In Europe, still is. But it flipped in the US.

The principles of capitalism (prices dictated by laws of supply & demand), as the most recent response suggests, makes some sense, given the refineries are geared towards gasoline/petrol here, and not as much diesel. But, I haven't heard a shortage of diesel that impacts availability (some fuel stations can't get their tanks filled with diesel). Same with winter heating oil (very similar to diesel) - in recent years, no shortage in the US.
I think what I am trying to say here is US fuel pricing doesn't follow the laws of supply & demand - it follows some other principle. That concerns me.

I think I've stirred up enough folks in this forum for now, and I apologize for that. I'll stop further posts. Just frustrated how fuel prices here follow a somewhat different drum than the laws of supply & demand.

romad November 1st, 2018 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93celicaconv (Post 5454376)
I think what I am trying to say here is US fuel pricing doesn't follow the laws of supply & demand - it follows some other principle. That concerns me.

It does somewhat but it is not as simple as you believe. I tried to address it above a little pointing out only ONE factor for the probable reason.

Besides, if the EU has its way, diesel & petrol will be outlawed there within 20 years so the question will be moot!

kjclow November 2nd, 2018 08:58

Quote:

This was the context of my question - what changed? US & Europe diesel were both lower than gasoline/petrol. In Europe, still is. But it flipped in the US.

The principles of capitalism (prices dictated by laws of supply & demand), as the most recent response suggests, makes some sense, given the refineries are geared towards gasoline/petrol here, and not as much diesel. But, I haven't heard a shortage of diesel that impacts availability (some fuel stations can't get their tanks filled with diesel). Same with winter heating oil (very similar to diesel) - in recent years, no shortage in the US.

I think I've stirred up enough folks in this forum for now, and I apologize for that. I'll stop further posts. Just frustrated how fuel prices here follow a somewhat different drum than the laws of supply & demand.

The biggest cost driver change for diesel is the now required hydrotreatment to remove the excess sulfur. Not sure how much it works out on a per gallon (or liter for our Northern friends) but it does slow down the process. Now instead of coming out of the stripper and into storage or straight to a pipeline, it has to go to a primary storage tank. Gets treated, tested, and then released. IIRC, pump prices going from LSD to ULSD jumped about 20 cents per gallon.

As far as pricing relating to supply and demand, remember that it is now worldwide supply and demand. A small burp in supply in China will have a ripple effect across the globe.

Shipping costs and restraints come in to play too. Cheapest way to move fuel is by pipeline and then by ocean tanker. Most expensive way is over the road trucking.

rotarykid November 2nd, 2018 14:50

In metro-denver RUG is dropping(~$0.15 down in the last week & half
~$2.55-2.65 this morning)....

....While we are seeing no change is D2 prices(holding around ~$3 +/- 0.05)....

Rodmiser November 2nd, 2018 20:14

Diesel $2.85 - $3.299 A Gallon

Reg. $2.349 - $2.999 A Gallon

K C MO- K C KS

TornadoRed November 3rd, 2018 18:42

"U.S. crude oil production reached 11.3 million barrels per day (b/d) in August 2018, according to EIA’s latest Petroleum Supply Monthly, up from 10.9 million b/d in July. This is the first time that monthly U.S. production levels surpassed 11 million b/d. U.S. crude oil production exceeded the Russian Ministry of Energy’s estimated August production of 11.2 million b/d, making the United States the leading crude oil producer in the world.

Monthly crude oil production reached a record high in several states. Texas had the highest record level at 4.6 million b/d, followed by North Dakota at 1.3 million b/d. Other states that had record-high production levels were New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, and West Virginia. Production in the Federal Offshore Gulf of Mexico also hit a record high of 1.9 million b/d."

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=37416

IndigoBlueWagon November 5th, 2018 05:03

I was in LA over the weekend and was pretty stunned by fuel prices in general. My favorite high benchmark station showed RUG at $4.29 and diesel at $4.19. But I saw another station (no diesel) with RUG at $4.49. Yikes.

romad November 5th, 2018 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon (Post 5455196)
I was in LA over the weekend and was pretty stunned by fuel prices in general. My favorite high benchmark station showed RUG at $4.29 and diesel at $4.19. But I saw another station (no diesel) with RUG at $4.49. Yikes.

Better hope that MA doesn't adopt CARB fuel specs. CARB Gasoline is only available from CA refineries, AFAIK so the supply is restricted. The GOOD things about CARB Diesel is the minimum 50 cetane and the soot reduction, but again it is only available from CA refineries. The refineries here in CA also seem to have a habit of coordinating their periodic "maintenance shutdowns" and "accidents" to reduce the supply so they can hike prices.

kjclow November 7th, 2018 09:35

Paid $2.89 last night in SC. I was in Orlando earlier this week and saw prices all over the place. One station was equal to Rug at $2.43 while another was a full dollar higher. Also didn't help that most stations post rug prices in red but alternate between non-ethanol gasoline and ULSD in green. Makes me happy I'm not heading that far south for Christmas.

tdi_514 November 9th, 2018 09:00

$1.39/Litre - Montreal Canada

Evil November 9th, 2018 09:43

Quote:

This was the context of my question - what changed? US & Europe diesel were both lower than gasoline/petrol. In Europe, still is. But it flipped in the US..

Diesel is dearer than petrol in the UK..

Today's pump price is 1.389/litre, US$2.46, (6.30/UK gallon)

93/93

U4ick November 11th, 2018 14:48

I'm seeing a spread of over 80 cents a gallon between RUG and diesel....I feel like I'm being spread. :mad:

TornadoRed November 11th, 2018 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by U4ick (Post 5456900)
I'm seeing a spread of over 80 cents a gallon between RUG and diesel....I feel like I'm being spread. :mad:

The spread is always unfavorable at this time of year.

vincej November 18th, 2018 20:34

In Calgary today 1.32 per L vs 1.03 for regular gas. More than $1 gallon difference.