Q5 TDI Transmission Problems

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
My 2014 Q5 TDI, with 53,000-miles, has been demonstrating an intermittent problem of the transmission slipping out of gear when stopped (auto start/stop engaged) and just recently while driving. To re-engage, I have to throw the transmission lever between neutral, drive and sport. This has been very intermittent but is extremely concerning. I have just informed the NHTSA of this condition.

Has anyone experienced a similar "failure"? Taking it to the dealer will probably not work as the event will not occur under their watch. Thanks in advance.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Sorry to hear about the transmission problem. Even if it is intermittent, it may have thrown an error code that can be detected when it is scanned.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a TSB for this.

Google: 'TSB 37 16 72 2040747/3'

Essentially it involves rewiring the power supply to the TCM, since it drops low enough during the restart process that it reverts to N.

Last edited:

Jozzie

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
There is a TSB for this.

Google: 'TSB 37 16 72 2040747/3'

Essentially it involves rewiring the power supply to the TCM, since it drops low enough during the restart process that it reverts to N.
its weird, the whole year its been fine... then suddenly it happens..

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The TSB I have clearly states all 2014 to 2015 Q5 TDIs. They all use the 0BK 8sp ZF transmission, I am not aware of any of these that use a 7sp. The Q5 is based on the A4, which went from a 5sp, to a 6sp, to the 8sp. The only 7sp transmission I am aware of in VAG world is the DSG used behind the 1.4L in the Jetta Hybrid.

Perhaps it is best if you just go to a dealer and see if any updated software exists, and if any TSBs apply to your VIN.

I have no easy way to share this information with you, short of printing out all 20 pages and either faxing or mailing them to you.

It is not JUST a software update, but some wiring changes too.

Last edited: