Mazda Announces a US Bound Diesel for Fall 2017

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Mazda announces the 2017 CX-5 with the 2.2L Sky Activ diesel option this fall.

The first AWD CUV in this class. Subaru missed the boat with the 2.0L diesel, but I wouldn't be surprised they jump back in the US.

The loooong awaited 2018 Jeep Wrangler diesel may (dont hold your breath) appear as well.

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Mazda CX-5 Diesel 2.2L on its way

Mazda announces the Sky Active diesel for the CX-5 this Fall, Subaru mulling the 2.0L now that VW has pulled the Tdi.

So many affordable choices...

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Oh, groan, only now?

I drove two Subaru Legacy wagons for 15 years, up until about 3 years ago. For forever I've had "SUBARU DIESEL NORTH AMERICA" as a standing Google News search topic just dripping with anticipation of the good news.

Over the years I've heard all kinds of reasons why Subaru imports diesels to everywhere but here. The two that stood out were:
- Can't make 'em clean enough ("...but Volkswagen can! why can't you?")
- Can't build 'em cheap enough ("...but Volkswagen can! why can't you?")

Heh heh :D

Not so sure I'm interested anymore since the Outback is significantly devolved from its station wagon roots, but I'd give it a look if it became reality.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Unfortunately not soon enough for me. I have to acquire a new ride by the end of next week. That will exclude: diesel Cruze hatch, diesel Equinox, and diesel CX5. If you want to steal VW's lunch you have to be quicker than that.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The Cleveland Browns will win the Superbowl before you ever see a Mazda diesel in this country. False start after false start.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
guess you cant say the cubs will win the world series first anymore? lol, seems like anything can happen now days.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
We're in the market for a new car and I'm keeping my fingers crossed the CX-5 diesel does hit the showroom floor for not too much of a premium.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Unfortunately not soon enough for me. I have to acquire a new ride by the end of next week. That will exclude: diesel Cruze hatch, diesel Equinox, and diesel CX5. If you want to steal VW's lunch you have to be quicker than that.
You can always buy a beater and wait for the car you really want.

We took the money and paid cash for an 8 yr old BMW with 60,000 miles.

Donald

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
And from what I've read of it, Mazda has cleaned up their diesel enough to get into the U.S. pretty much the same way VW did, presumably minus the cheat. Although we've had no problems with our Passat so far (apart from an NOx sensor replaced under warranty, I don't think I want the AdBlue complexity on our next car. Well, I don't want an SUV, either, so that makes the CX-5 and the Equinox moot, the Cruze isn't big enough, and the other diesel choices are just too expensive. I'd rather not go back to a gas car, since our diesel experience has been so good, but the buyback is just too attractive......

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I am pretty excited about the CX5 Diesel, have been wanting a smaller SUV diesel for a while now, also waiting to check out the new Chevy Terrain diesel when it comes out later this year.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I am pretty excited about the CX5 Diesel, have been wanting a smaller SUV diesel for a while now, also waiting to check out the new Chevy Terrain diesel when it comes out later this year.
The Chevy version is an Equinox. The GMC version is a Terrain.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
No indication of any Mazda emission test results for 2018 model year on the California Air Resources Board as yet.

Till CARB posts approved results, nobody is selling 2018 Mazda anythings - gas or diesel.
Good observation. I presume there is already a CARB approval for the upcoming Cruze diesel?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
In my opinion, the Mazda diesel has been, and will continue to be, vaporware.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, or 1500 days late and counting. They must be selling them elsewhere. I wonder how they are performing where sold. I think I heard of fuel dilution issues in the oil at one point.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The press coverage of the CX-5 is has more credibility than what I saw on the Mazda 6 diesel a few years ago, at least to me it does. I agree that I'll believe it when it arrives at dealer lots, but I think the odds are better this time, if only because Mazda isn't trying to do something different with emissions, as they did with the 6.

Unfortunately I wouldn't agree with the "lots of choices" comment. Better than no choices at all would be more like it, IMO.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Reminds me of the song "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie"

"The diesel, the diesel, the mazda diesel, its always a day away"

big_red

TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2011 Jetta TDI
I was at the Ottawa Car show this weekend and they had the 2018 CX-5 on display, with the diesel engine in it. It was a car from Japan though, so right hand drive and you weren't able to touch it or get in it, they had it roped off.

Their display did point out a couple different engine options that would be available in Canada, including the diesel. So it seems like Mazda itself is advertising the Diesel, so I am very confident that we will actually see it next year.

The new CX-5 is a pretty sharp looking vehicle as well.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I was at the Ottawa Car show this weekend and they had the 2018 CX-5 on display, with the diesel engine in it. It was a car from Japan though, so right hand drive and you weren't able to touch it or get in it, they had it roped off.

Their display did point out a couple different engine options that would be available in Canada, including the diesel. So it seems like Mazda itself is advertising the Diesel, so I am very confident that we will actually see it next year.

The new CX-5 is a pretty sharp looking vehicle as well.
In Canada you mean.