FS - VW solar panels

penclnck

Sold out of panels. If I get any more I'll start a new thread. Thanks to all who purchased, funds being used for a cnc mill.

Last edited by a moderator:

penclnck

Buglite said:
Will these work in cars other than VW?
While I'm not 100% sure, but any car with an OBDII plug it should work with because the power and ground points are all the same. But to that end, one can also cut the OBDII plug off and put gator clips on there or a cigarette plug.

bigman111387

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Platinum Gray Sedan Manual
Sorry for the ignorant noob ? but what exactly does this do..Can I use this on my 09 tdi? I really want one haha but have no clue if I can.

penclnck

If a car is going to be parked for an extended period of time, these panels will provide a trickle charge so that the battery doesn't go dead. Any VW pretty much from 1994 and newer has the plug for this panel. It plugs up to the OBDII plug, something all cars in the US must have by law since the 90s.

It won't charge a dead battery, it keeps a good battery good.

Thank you.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
solar panels

Since hearing the '09 Prius would have a solar panel for the a/c etc, I've wanted a solar panel for my '05 Golf to power the a/c, radio, lights. Don't know where to buy one. Would this panel be strong enough to work doing that? If not any other ideas? How and where is this panel attached?
Thanks!
Kristina

Nitroholic

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf
whitetdi05 said:
Since hearing the '09 Prius would have a solar panel for the a/c etc, I've wanted a solar panel for my '05 Golf to power the a/c, radio, lights. Don't know where to buy one. Would this panel be strong enough to work doing that? If not any other ideas? How and where is this panel attached?
Thanks!
Kristina
don't know how you would get that to work :confused:

and it connects to the obd2 port

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
whitetdi05 said:
Thanks!
Kristina
This definitely is not the panel for you! I think buying a '09 Prius is your best bet.

penclnck

These panels are a solar powered trickle charger.... they won't charge up a dead battery, but they will keep a good battery in good shape a LOT longer as compared to not having anything. They plug up to any OBD II data port, all cars since 97 sold in here in the United States will have they (Fed law). Of course one can cut the plug off and fit some gator clips to them and hook these things up to a motorcycle or boat battery.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
penclnck said:
These panels are a solar powered trickle charger.... they won't charge up a dead battery, but they will keep a good battery in good shape a LOT longer as compared to not having anything. They plug up to any OBD II data port, all cars since 97 sold in here in the United States will have they (Fed law). Of course one can cut the plug off and fit some gator clips to them and hook these things up to a motorcycle or boat battery.
Need you worry about over-charging the battery with these? and would anyone ever use them for everyday use or strictly for long down-time periods?

penclnck

One could plug it into the cigarette lighter socket, they tend to be a direct connection to the battery as well for most cars, not ignition switch dependent.

As for over charging the battery with one of these, I don't think it could happen, they are not putting out a lot of power. If you are driving a given car every day, or a few times a week, then there would not been a need for one of these panels. But if you have, for example, a New Beetle Convertable that you only drive in +80 deg weather so the car sits in the winter, these would be a wise investment. Or for your RV, fishing boat, snow mobile, motorcycle, ect, any 12V system.

I've got a few more panel on hand ready to ship.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I picked up one of these for my dad to put on his dump trailer. Try to keep that battery on it in good shape. We're trying to find a good place to mount it. So far, we figure we will point the black part up. ;)

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
How long is the cable?

penclnck

Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
Suction cups included?
Yes, every panel I've shipped to date have included 4 suction cups. Every so often I get some panels that don't have suction cups but so far I've been able to round up suction cups... but such may not be the case in the future, thus the photo shows a panel without the suction cups. The few panels I have on hand as of this post do have the suction cups as well.

penclnck

RamMan4x4 said:
The link posted above shows you are sold out...does it need to be updated or did they sell quickly?

Still have them. Just send me a private message with your email address if you wish to purchase one.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Just purchased one of the solar panels (more for coureousity than anything else) and a set of the Terminal Release Tools.

Everything was packed nicely, worked great and showed up at my door in two days.

I just disabled my DRL using the terminal tool and I am very pleased that I didn't have to bend anything and can just reinsert the wire (no tools needed) anytime I may need to.

Thanks !